Texas Fishing Forum

trolling motor

Posted By: Roy Reeves

trolling motor - 01/28/15 09:42 PM

I have a 12ft pelican angler. I have a 50lbs trolling motor that has a, i believe 42 inch shaft. Is there any way i could mount it to the back of my yak. can really afford a yak that has one built-in. Any input would be much appreciated.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: trolling motor - 01/29/15 02:01 AM

You can cut up a 2"x4" and bolt it behind your seat and then put the trolling motor beside you. 50 pounds is probably too much power. It might work on low power. If you put it into a public water then you would need to get it registered with TX numbers and a sticker which is usually more effort than it's worth.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: trolling motor - 01/29/15 03:32 AM

Excercise caution. Your adding al lot of extra weight with a troll battery to a yak thats not designed for it.
Posted By: Kayak_and_Crossbones

Re: trolling motor - 01/29/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Excercise caution. Your adding al lot of extra weight with a troll battery to a yak thats not designed for it.

THIS!

I've got some experience with a TM on a yak. There are positives and negatives. The weight being a big one. Personally, with that kayak, I'd caution you against it. (FYI, not slamming your yak..just dont think its made for it)
Posted By: chefmike

Re: trolling motor - 01/29/15 03:18 PM

Check out my trolling motor fitted on a Feelfree. Works like a dream I have a battery that is small and weighs about 12 lbs and gives me up to 4 hours
I did put some pics on the adaption of the trolling motor, hand steering through the rudder system and controls set into a box at my side
Mike
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: trolling motor - 01/29/15 07:13 PM

Here is one that comes in a kit which is probably one of the least expensive that would work on your kayak.
http://www.kayaktrollingmotor.com/
Posted By: Muckraker

Re: trolling motor - 01/29/15 07:54 PM

Also don't forget that technically you are supposed to register it as a boat when you put a motor (electric or gas) on it. Pretty soon Uncle TX will get smart and wanna piece of the action.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum