Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak trailer ideas

Posted By: Fisherman13

Kayak trailer ideas - 11/24/14 11:36 PM

I have this trailer, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I should set it up to haul a couple of kayaks or three. Its a light weight trailer and I need to keep it light cause it is gonna get pulled by my little car after I get a hitch on it.

I plan to fix it up first, but any suggestions appreciated.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/24/14 11:52 PM

What are the dimensions of the trailer?
How long and wide are the kayaks?
Make sure the homemade trailer is registered and that the lights/wiring work.

Looks like one would be easy--take off the backboard, secure the kayak to the trailer, and put a towing flag at the end of the kayak

If you want to regularly haul two and/or three (will be tough on a small car going to three) I'd extend the tongue and do some modifications.
Something like this:

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 12:02 AM

I'd say its 8ft long and about 5ft wide in the wood floor area. Kayaks: mine is 10ft but 12ft will most likely get hauled as well.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 12:12 AM

If you are just hauling the 10 footer, this can be done easily with a small car and ratchet tie downs.
Hauling a 10 footer and 12 footer, here's another solution--doing it this way with a car might obstruct your vision via the rear view mirror:

Posted By: BKT

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 12:25 AM

Here's mine
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 12:34 AM

22 web pages of ideas and photos.

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 02:02 AM

Wow 22 pages.... I've looked at like 5 pages and my head is hurting from all the different trailer ideas lol. I think I'm looking at something like this.

Its a similar style trailer.... I just noticed I don't have a freaking spare (wheel & tire) for my trailer! Thats got to get fixed, too!
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 02:33 PM

Put some dubs on it! sarcastic

Lots of options with that trailer IMO.
You'll need some bars if your gonna haul more than 2 at a time.
U prob want a gate and something to keep your gear from rolling out the sides too.
Adding a light weight lock box would b nice. Plastic is the way Id go on that.
Posted By: KQT

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 03:36 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10187066/Re:_Modified_JetSki_Trailer_fo#Post10187066

Tatanka54 did a great job. We have pulled 2 PA 12s to Padre with no issues.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/25/14 11:32 PM

This is how I modified my flatbed trailer. Actually, my kayak rack is removable so I can use the trailer for ATV's, mowers, etc.

Posted By: Daveg99

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/26/14 12:33 AM

I'm going to get a harbor freight trailer and built some unistrut racks for 4 kayaks.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Kayak trailer ideas - 11/26/14 03:29 AM

yall have some nice trailers cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum