Texas Fishing Forum

First time out in a kayak.

Posted By: RobMoe

First time out in a kayak. - 10/16/14 11:11 PM

I finally decided to get the fs12t yesterday and was able to take it out today for the first time. My buddy took me to a place that he's been to a bunch but doesn't have much bank access, so this was my first time there. I don't have a lot to compare it to but it was super stable. Never felt like I was going to turtle. I was able to stand up but didn't spend much time in that position. I think with more hours on the water I'll be able to fish standing eventually. Had absolutely no issues with leaks. The seat does require a piece of pool noodle under it to keep it from moving. Easy fix. See below for the pics of the day. Best fish was 2.29lbs. Ended up with two over 2lbs, landed 6 total. I have to say I'm hooked. Also, I have to give a shout out to Dean from basspro for helping me out and answering a TON of questions for me yesterday. Everything he recommended from the cart to the fish grabbers came in handy today. Thanks man!

Posted By: shadboy

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 12:10 AM

HOOKED!!!!!

Good job.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 12:14 AM

Heck yeah it was a great day out. I wish I had remembered my anchor after that freaking wind started blowing though. I like that FS12 I'm jealous.... I want one I can stand up in now! But I'm just happy to have a kayak at this point.
Here was my best one from back in the trees not sure how much it weighed but all the fish out there were short and fat.

By the way I did wear my PFD just had it off back in the trees, water was only 1.5 ft deep where I was at in the pic.
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 02:41 AM

Now that is one heck of a rookie trip.

Good to meet you the other day. Thanks for the kind words.

As always, feel free to contact me here or call the store if you have any issues or questions.

-Dean
Posted By: BKT

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 02:51 AM

Sweet!! Now what's that y'all are using to cart them yaks?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 04:51 AM

coolphotos Nicely done. Good job. cheers
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 09:11 AM

Congrats!!!

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: BKT

RobMoe has a scupper hole cart on that Acsend, you just can't see it. As for me...... my broke a$$....I'm using an old cart that I modified a little that looks more like it should have fertilizer in it... roflmao I'm planning to get a cart, just making due right now. I have already tried dragging the kayak...Forget that!
I'll take the embarrassment. hammer Whatever gets me there!
Posted By: RobMoe

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 11:36 AM

Some smart guy said "necessity is the mother of invention" that cart you have works just fine.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 12:07 PM

Congrats on a great day!! I love having a yak...so much easier to spur of the moment fish
Posted By: BKT

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Fisherman13

RobMoe has a scupper hole cart on that Acsend, you just can't see it. As for me...... my broke a$$....I'm using an old cart that I modified a little that looks more like it should have fertilizer in it... roflmao I'm planning to get a cart, just making due right now. I have already tried dragging the kayak...Forget that!

Lol we're in the same boat and if I had a nifty cart like that I could use... I'd be using it!! cheers

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 02:50 PM

Lol we're in the same boat and if I had a nifty cart like that I could use... I'd be using it!! cheers

Here is a link to a cart build I found I might go this route.
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-bulletproof-kayak-cart-build.html?m=1
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/17/14 03:04 PM

Grats on your first float and slime! thumb
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/19/14 03:19 AM

Welcome to the plastic navy!
Posted By: HAWK84

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/19/14 10:34 PM

Congrats on the day! I have an fs12t ..its not bad for the money
Posted By: Zedteamk2

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/20/14 01:26 AM

Congrats ! i am also a new member to the plastic navy.
It's been great for me, more exercise, more fishing, more fun !
Don forget to check amazon for a kayak cart.... i found the same one that costs $50'ish for about $30.
PM me and i will dig up the link
Posted By: mjmfc

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/21/14 03:34 PM

That's a nice looking spot. Congrats. Kayak fishing is fun
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: First time out in a kayak. - 10/21/14 03:57 PM

Here is a link to a cart build I found I might go this route.
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-bulletproof-kayak-cart-build.html?m=1

I built this cart from the website. It works OK. It has a hard time with my ride 115x empty.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum