Texas Fishing Forum

Kayaks in Austin

Posted By: FireFarmer

Kayaks in Austin - 07/26/14 12:53 AM

Where is a good place to hang out and look/talk about all things kayaks/kayak fishing in the Austin area?
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/26/14 01:25 AM

http://austinkayakfishing.com/forum/index.php?sid=a1804bf1a723dad65c93513b9331741e

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/26/14 03:09 AM

I meant that I'm in Austin and wanting a place to go look at kayaks
Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/26/14 06:02 AM

ACK

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/26/14 11:28 AM

Alright, thank you both for the suggestion, I'll give it a look! My wife suggested rei....I've never even heard of the place but she claims they may have kayaks?..
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/26/14 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: FisherWoehl

Ohhh..Got cha'. Yea, down in Austin I would say AUSTIN KAYAK They continue to impress me with their customer service! thumb
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/26/14 04:15 PM

ACK, great guys, great customer service
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/28/14 12:25 AM

Yes REI has kayaks but in the Austin area your best bet is Austin Kayak
Posted By: marcus254

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/28/14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell
Originally Posted By: FisherWoehl

Ohhh..Got cha'. Yea, down in Austin I would say AUSTIN KAYAK They continue to impress me with their customer service! thumb

no joke, their shipping is INSANE multiple times ive odered at like 2pm online and its at my house the NEXT day with free ground shipping. thoes guys are on the ball big time.

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/28/14 10:58 PM

That's good to know, thanks guys for all the help. I went in there Saturday morning and they were very helpful...they were a lot less eager to help me whenever I told them I was just looking right then, but overall I was very impressed with them. I think I have it narrowed down to a propel, hobie mirage sport, and a wilderness ride 115. Any thoughts both good and bad would be appreciated. I like the wilderness because of the seat, I like the hobie for the mirage drive and it's versatility, and the propel feels good when I set in it.
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/29/14 01:36 PM

ACK is going to have their fall demo days Sept 13th and 14th if you are willing to wait that long will be a good time to try lots of different kayaks
Posted By: Reel crazy

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/29/14 03:28 PM

Every kayak is different and fits certain needs for that individual. I demoed the outback and slayer propel. And out of the two I chose the slayer propel bc it fits my fishing needs a lot better, bc having reverse is really awesome. Just make sure you demo the kayaks you want all on the same day bc it will help you judge the pros and cons of each boat.

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/29/14 04:46 PM

How does the demo work? I live in San Angelo and (to my knowledge) there are only 2 dealers here, one being academy. Again, to my knowledge, I don't think academy demos and I'm thinking the same is true for Happy Trails. I'm not even sure anybody rents kayaks around here, any suggestions other than driving to Austin or Dallas?

I would love to hit a demo days somewhere but I have an itch for getting my own kayak and getting with the fishing! But in the same breath I don't want to buy a kayak because it felt good setting on the floor and hate it when I get it the water...is there a way of going about demoing from a local store or am I pretty much sank in hoping for that?
Posted By: Reel crazy

Re: Kayaks in Austin - 07/30/14 01:13 PM

You might have to invest in a road trip to Austin or Dallas to do a demo of different kayaks. By doing that you will narrow down exactly what you like and don't like. It would be worth the trip. Bc if you buy something you never paddled or peddled before and buy it and don't like it, it's gonna be sittin in your garage or on the forum classifieds. Things to consider as we'll, the weight and how are you gonna be transporting the kayak. Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum