Texas Fishing Forum

Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade

Posted By: Yak FinAddic

Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 01:26 AM

Hobie just released an accessory to help fix one of the Pro Anglers few opportunities, the rudder.
This rudder upgrade should help with turning in the wind and boats that are bow heavy from loading up the front hatch. From first look it doesn't seem like there has been much increase in size but feedback from our PA brothers out in Australia has been very positive.

It looks like I was able to get my hands on one of few rudder upgrades available in the US. Thank you ACK. Looks like they will continue to ship any back ordered rudders in 2-3 weeks. I believe the true release date from Hobie is late February/ early March.

I would love to show you pictures of the rudder installed but have run into a roadblock. I can not remove the old rudder from the rudder assembly. I have heard that red loctite was applied from the factory on the screw that must remove before I can make the swap. I have tried using PB Break Loose and heating the screw with a lighter(I don't own a heat gun or torch.) What else should I try?

Once I get it installed and get some TOW I will be sure to add a review for the rest of you PA owners.
Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 02:35 AM

Please do.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 02:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9zFgB8lTNM

I am guessing you don't have an impact screwdriver - the kind you hit with a hammer? A few hard taps may be what it needs.

Do you know what the "bolt" looks like - is one of those sides threaded and the other side screws into it? Looks like you are starting to round the head a bit on the Philips.....if heat doesn't do it and you strip it, you may have to drill it out. Have shaun see if he has the replacement screws/bolts in stock.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 08:43 AM

Adrian, you are welcome to bring it by. I have the necessary tools to make it happen. Try an impact. In the times i have delt with red locktite, i have impacted it out(what you were using to remove and install bolts here) if that doesnt work and the screw head gets messed up drill the head off and just replace screw and nut.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 08:47 AM

I would say its rude to put locktite on a phillips head screw. They shouldve used a head that holds up better. Allen or square drive.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 01:29 PM

It gets even worse, there is a Philips on one side and a flat on the other side. I'm going to go see my buddies at Mariner Sails to see if we can't figure it out. If it doesn't work out I'll pick up the replacement hardware then come share some beers with Christian Da Man Myrick. Thanks guys!
Posted By: SleepingTiger

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 02:06 PM

BALLER!! wth, did you win the lottery or get a huge bonus at work? you been buying fishing gear like crazy. i think its time you put your money down and buy u a hds10 touch and sell me your hds7

i got several impacts if you wanna try it out. you might end up having to either drill it out or use a screw extracting kit.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: christian myrick
I would say its rude to put locktite on a phillips head screw. They shouldve used a head that holds up better. Allen or square drive.

+1 - that is what I would look at replacing it with.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: SleepingTiger
BALLER!! wth, did you win the lottery or get a huge bonus at work? you been buying fishing gear like crazy. i think its time you put your money down and buy u a hds10 touch and sell me your hds7

i got several impacts if you wanna try it out. you might end up having to either drill it out or use a screw extracting kit.

Hmmm, I might look at upgrading buy more than likely I'll be spending my pennies on a wife/Buddy yak.
The rudder was very reasonably priced at 25 bucks. Definitely not going to break the bank, plus it should make a good difference on my steering and my old rudder was pretty beat up from forgetting to pull it up during landing.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Yak FinAddic
Hmmm, I might look at upgrading buy more than likely I'll be spending my pennies on a wife/Buddy yak.
The rudder was very reasonably priced at 25 bucks. Definitely not going to break the bank, plus it should make a good difference on my steering and my old rudder was pretty beat up from forgetting to pull it up during landing.

you know u got a baller when he says $25 is breakfast money. Anyways, will that rudder fit a pa12? if it works, i might have to save up get a new rudder.

does your pa slow to respond sometimes? i would peddle and have the rudder turn complete left/right and it will just go straight. its until i move the rudder completely the opposite and turn it back does it respond.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 04:37 PM

It is supposed to work on both models.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 10:24 PM

As the OT would say. Have you pee'd on it?

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/06/14 11:01 PM

Good news!! Mike over at Mariner Sails helped me out and the new rudder is ready to be installed on my PA14 for a week of fishing kicking off tomorrow evening. I can't thank you enough Mike! Headed home now to put her in.

Haha,when I was taking that second pic I almost reached for my YG Floating Measuring Board ;-)

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/07/14 12:53 AM

What did it take to break it loose?
Posted By: mikepaddle

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/07/14 01:42 PM

That's a "trade secret"!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: FishAll50

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/07/14 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: mikepaddle
That's a "trade secret"!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: FishAll50
cheers

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/07/14 06:09 PM

tell the truth Adrian, you were just unscrewing the wrong way. remember, lefty loosey, righty tighty!
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/07/14 06:16 PM

Trade secret to buy another part?? not so much!
Posted By: APynckel

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/08/14 11:21 PM

It's called a torch and / or an impact screwdriver smile
Posted By: mikepaddle

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/09/14 02:33 PM

NOPE ! ! !

Originally Posted By: APynckel
It's called a torch and / or an impact screwdriver smile
Posted By: oakenhawk

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/14/14 02:25 PM

Anybody have any performance reports after installing the new rudder?

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 02/15/14 12:15 AM

This upgrade is well worth the investment. You will immediately notice how much more responsive the extra size is over the original. The upgrade allows you to really fine adjust your kayak to use the wind to work a bank with much less adjustments. If you are a car topper you will want to make sure to always use your cart to prevent damaging the new rudder bc it does stick out more than the OEM part. This upgrade is well worth the 25 bucks. Just fyi if you plan on ordering I believe your best bet is to contact ACK because they ordered all the units Hobie had state side. The good news is it will ship quickly. I had my rudder upgrade shipped to me for under five bucks and received it in about 24 hours. Check out some pics...

As far as install it is pretty easy. I ran into a road block on mine but I'm pretty sure it was a unique issue bc 2 of my other buddies had zero issues and had them installed in around half an hour. The process only requires the removal of 4 screws, 1 allen wrench screw(only 2014 models), one Pin, a sister pin screw and one double knot.
Let me know if you have questions or need other info. I can share a link with more detailed instructions... Tight lines, Adrian
Posted By: Tatanka54

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 07/28/14 07:55 PM

My question is how to drop the rudder shaft out of the housing. I can't find any pictures or instructions for getting the rudder out of the PA. I took the top cover off but it is not clear what to do next.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 07/28/14 09:26 PM

See thst pin that holds the plastic drum on.....thatis just a press fit. So drive it out from front to back. You may have to put pliers on it to pull it out once past the rudder post. The rudder post and rudder will now drop out. I think the rest is obvious but if need help then please ask.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 07/28/14 10:00 PM

I just happened to be doing mine at the time I wrote that. I noticed my new rudder is slightly warped on the end. Im already into the job and not sure how much negative effect it may have and am proceeding but you may want to check yours for the same issue. You mariner guys may want to look at stock also.

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rudder Upgrade - 07/28/14 10:11 PM

Mine had a bit of an S curve to it. It hasn't been noticeable at our speed
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum