Texas Fishing Forum

How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak

Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 08:34 PM

Some General Rules:
1. Paddle as many as you can before you make your purchase.
2. For best performance & safety, pay attention to weight capacity ratings.
3. A comfy Seat & Quality Paddle will help make the experience more pleasant.
4. Craigslist & Kayak Shop "Demos" are a good source to pick up used yaks at a good price.
5. Ask what other have experienced with: EXAMPLE: Pelican 116,Ocean Scrambler XT, etc. etc.
6. See what the reviews are on your choices click-> Buzzillions.com

* Some shops offer Forum members a 10%-20% discounts!

Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 09:32 PM

I know you asked me to provide some input and really hope we can get this thread "stickyed" so that any newbie to kayak fishing can look at it, but it really looks like you've covered the bases pretty well, FZ.
I would like to add that nobody should be afraid to buy a good quality name kayak used though because as long as you keep it in good shape you can get every bit of what you paid for it (if not more) out of it in resale.
Also when people are looking at max capacity ratings figure you need at about 100lbs more than you and your gear weight to have a nice dry ride.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 09:33 PM

Good list.

7. Go fishing several times before you start attaching accessories.
8. Consider how you're going to store/transport, longer kayaks are a little more difficult than shorter kayaks.
9. Generally speaking, longer kayaks are quicker/less maneuverable, shorter kayaks are more maneuverable/not the best for longer distances, wider kayaks are more stable/slower on the water, narrower kayaks are less stable/quicker on the water. So find your equilibrium.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 09:41 PM

Anybody want to talk intellegently about primary and secondary stability?

I had a Cobra kayak that felt like you were gonna tip over everytime you moved but you would have to fall out of the thing to actually turn it over.
The reason for this is the shape of the hull. It was a narrow v shape at the bottom and it came up and spread out wide and flat at the top right below the water line.
Because of the bouyancy of it the narrow shape at the bottom made it feel really shakey. Now if you loaded it down to capacity (I think it was like 450#) it would sit lower in the water and feel a lot less shakey.
Posted By: bert

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 09:44 PM

To expand on #3, make sure you budget for this as well

10. Go to retailers web sites and look for users reviews on kayaks don't just trust the pro reviews
11. Compare boat strengths to your desired activity, if you are creek fishing a 15 foot boat designed to go beyond the breakers is not going to suit your needs
12. If you are new to the sport take someone who is experienced with you or take a paddling class rather than putting yourself at risk
13. When looking at boats make sure and take a measuring tape to check the seat, tank well and other features that will be important to your rigging and the gear you want to be able to use
Posted By: R E N

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 09:46 PM

Demo, demo, demo...
Posted By: StevenNDallas

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 10:28 PM

I am now a fan of one man and a 17 ft canoe
as handling it solo is most manly.

And I think it is better than a yak cause of the stand up stuff.

If I step into a big $$ turd I'd get a tricked out SOT !

But I am waiting for my ultimate multi rod storage / raiser seat ideas to hit the market. Actually some one is doing the seat, a flip n' raise insert.
Posted By: Carver

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 10:37 PM

There is no single best Yak. At least not for me. but that won't keep me from yammering on for a while.

The question is quite timely for me.
This is the first time in quite a few years I have only had one kayak in my stable and I hope that is short lived. (I do still have two cedar strip canoes, but they are more nostalgia I am afraid to admit)

Getting down to one yak has forced me to make some tough decisions and try to answer " which one will I keep?".
I have bought, used and eventually sold several yaks in the last five years just for the sake of learning a bit about this same subject and finding a better boat for a particular purpose. Then there are the rentals when fishing in Florida or Nebraska ( or numerous point in between) while I was supposed to be on job-site working. I wanted to learn first hand about what I was reading on these forums and knew that I could recover most of my money from anything I bought. I also discovered the location of most of the manufacturers close-out centers in the south also.

Yaks owned recently for two years or more (I'll list still in production only )( and that I still remember):

Pelican Castaway (1)
Heritage Fisherman Pro (1)
Hobie Outback (2)
Hobie Revolution (1)
Hobie Pro Angler (3)

Paddled ( actually fished two or more days out of )
Tarpon 140
Tarpon 160 (My favorite saltwater paddle type)
Perception Prism
Hobie Sport

What I already knew was that the "best yak" is very, very isolated,,,,, only for a particular trip, for a particular location and on that particular days weather only. The difference in wind from one day to the next would have me taking a different yak to the same location as the day before. Changing from chasing surfacing stripers / hybrids or (anything else that dwells beneath diving birds) versus catfish jugging versus crappie fishing would require even more decision making for the same water. Drifting 8 two hook spider rigs in a tourney with a 7 - 10 fish live weigh-in and 6 lbs of minnows to keep alive required me to change again drastically.

There is no single best Yak. At least not for me, but I still have to choose just one.

When life dictated I thin my fleet to one I eventually chose the Hobie Pro Angler for reasons that most would not expect.
I fish open water for several species,and most all of my yaks would do that quite well, but also really, really like the creeks for both fishing and hunting up in the grassland. Most all of them would fish open water great and track well enough for the long crossing or retreat from an advancing thunderhead. The Pro Angler will take the open water better than just fine, Pedals easier and is faster than my Outback did, but most importantly, turns in a much tighter radius. It will basically turn in its own length and is actually my creek boat that works in wind and open also. When I am hunting, I get in and out of the boat regularly and this is much easier also. You can run and jump into it with no fear of dumping.

The bad. I can carry it in the back of my truck, but still it is much better handled on a small trailer and that was exactly what I was fighting that caused me to thin the fleet,,,,,,zero storage space. Not trailering was one of the beauties of kayak fishing. I do walk it down to the water through grassy lawns regularly but I sure don't carry it on my shoulder like my cedar.

My traditional paddling kayaks held great importance in my stable as well as my heart as I have paddled for five decades before I ever heard the words "mirage drive". Even after I started pedaling instead of paddling I clung to the traditional yaks for any day that I would rather drift or chase catfish jugs and having free hands didn't really count.
I would also take them on most pleasure trips where I was doing scouting for hunts or just traveling and touring. I simply love to Paddle.

I don't fly fish so standing while in a kayak has never been a great desire except for slinging a cast net form the yak. I do very much enjoy the luxury of being able not just to stand but to casually walk around in the boat from end to end. I have put a lawn chair behind my seat and taken a full grown adult with me with no regrets other than having to share my junk food.

Obviously I am a Hobie fan as most owners are. That being admitted if the question had a low $ limit to it, I would say that you ( I ) need to find ( in order of importance to me) a GOOD TRACKING yak that is stable enough that you can turn compeletly backwards in your seat with no fear of turtling. There is simply no reason to invest in a yak without paddling it and in-fact if the water is warm turtle it in your demo. Go to the shallows and start leaning. Most of the time you will be quite surprised by the secondary stability of most modern yaks. You might feel squirrely for a minute, but when you lean over far, the added perimeter hull will add buoyancy to the needed side and hold you still..... maybe.. like I said shallow warm water. Learn the limits of the boat and yourself.

The need for good tracking simply cannot be over stated. If you spend every third stroke correcting your intended course you are not getting near the pleasure out of your yak you could be. You can add a rudder to a anything and I will always vote for that, but the yak should track and glide well without the rudder deployed. The rudder will keep you straight, but it is still spending ( read that as wasting ) the energy you just deployed to go forward.

Don't over buy in size! Bigger is not necessarily better.
Get a yak that will do all you can imagine plus some, but windage from a yak floating high and longer than needed is a monster to keep on location without adding hardware. The better fit the yak the more fun it is to paddle, store and carry.

What you do to your yak can change it's value ( usability ) and not always for the best.
Don't add hardware you don't really see an immediate need for and then keep it low and light. Just because everyone says it is cool on the forum doesn't mean you need to be hanging your landing net on it tomorrow on your yak. Then ask if you really need the landing net anyway.

I will always suggest a fish-finder as an addition no matter how inexpensive or simple. Knowing what the structure of the water is means everything even if you don't understand at first. It is the best teaching tool ever.

I have a yak designed in my mind and partially finished in my computer I hope to build eventually. It is 13-14 long and 32" wide but with a severe hourglass cross section midship. The bow is low and flush for wind and drainage. There is a lip similar to a spray skirt in front of the seating area that will shed waves that I have plowed into and through. I would rather not go over the top of everything on a long haul offshore. It does not have much initial stability, but if you lean it into the secondary float, you are carving a smooth curve like snow skiing or free-form canoe paddling. Its a hoot.
Posted By: David Cole

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/03/11 11:36 PM

Well said Mr. Carver. There are number of good boats out there... Native and Hobie are the two that come to mind...and being biased towards Hobie because I have a Revolution and like it. I've only added an anchor trolley and one rod holder. The rest of the stuff can put in the milk crate, bungied behind the seat. Just remember to turn on a vertical axis and not a horizontal one...or you will go for an unintended swim. Finally, most reputable dealers will discount a new purchase by 10-15%. I bought mine in Austin, but there are local DFW area shops that probably will discount if you ask.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/04/11 12:08 AM

There is plenty of good advice above here.
My experience in a kayak has been only in fresh water.
The single best kayak for me is HYBRID. This is a kayak that I designed and built from scratch. It is the 4th kayak I have built. HYBRID is 14'X28" and it has it ALL, with a hull weight under 40 lbs. I realize not everybody can design and build their own kayak even if they wanted to.

If I were going to buy a kayak one of the major criteria that I would look at is weight. There are so many kayaks out there with outrageous weight numbers, and no good reason for it either. I can't see choosing a kayak that weighs 20 lbs or more extra than a similar model. In the light weight category Cobra kayaks excel. I had a Navigator for some time and caught a lot of fish from that kayak.

If I were going to buy a kayak today I would definitely want a pedal drive and in that category the Hobie Revolution excels.

Choosing a kayak that comes feature rich would be nice and in that category the Jackson Coosa excels. The adjustable seat is a feature that would be hard to beat.

Each kayak has it merits and flaws.
But this is what I would look for:
SOT
In general I want a kayak at least 12 feet long as this is the minimum for longitudinal stability
Hull weight should not exceed 50 lbs.
Pedal drive.
Lots of easy access storage.
High back seat. Soft, coiffed bottom.
Plenty of rod holders.
Bait tank with self priming fresh water intake.
Easy access cooler.
Fish finder is nice.

There is nothing like a little experience in a kayak to know whether it is good for you.
Posted By: spiny norman

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/04/11 12:57 AM

Before you buy, think long and hard about where you will use it most. This is where those trade offs are made. My first yak was an OK Scrambler. not a bad yak for a starter, but I quickly realized that it was not best suited for what I'm doing most. Paddling bigger distances over coastal flats and big N Texas lakes.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/04/11 02:53 AM

I have a Mainstream Patriot Sit in Kayak 12 Foot. It paddles great & effortlessly.
Please don't call them sinks

I chose this to duck hunt from along with fishing.
You can store much more in the "SI" . 1 time At Possum Kingdom, at daylight, I was paddling right in the middle of probably 200 Canadian Geese. They did not know I was there. Did not shoot any either, way to beautiful.

I have 2 rod holders that have actually landed fish while trolling

I have storage upfront & waterproof storage behind. I have packed enough food & liquids for a 3 day trip (rather Spartan) & carried 3 rod & reels with tackle

As i have become older & suffered a knee injury, i wish i also had a Sit on Top. I have to go to shore to get out now.

For expeditions i would never trade my Mainstream. wish i had a NICE sit in for fishing

I believe you get wgat you pay for in the boat its onself

I believe that a mid-range paddle is good enough also, i bought an expensive telescopic paddle and The River ruined it the 1st trip.

Remember, The River is hard on your equipment, so get good equipment. Nothing worse than having a spool, rod, or paddle break down on a trip you have taken your time & effort to attend.

Like Spiny said "Where will you use it?"

Just my thoughts men

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/04/11 05:40 PM

14. More pronounce (higher) bow allows you to rider waves higher (dryer, faster) in chop & surf.

15. Overnighters: Larger hatches allow you to stow & grab LARGER items below deck easier.

16. If you don't like to travel light, look at Yaks with larger cargo areas (behind the seat)
17. As well as length, a streamlined bottom means less paddling to glide through the water & better tracking.
18. Some yaks are designed to install sonar/transducers below the hull in direct contact with the water.

19. Rounder or flatter bottoms are typically easier to turn. example: white water kayaks
20. High sides (gunnels) generally = a drier ride.
21. Lower gunnels catch less wind, allow angler to sit side saddle & generally = a wetter ride.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/04/11 06:20 PM

Posted By: gutcheck

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/05/11 12:01 AM

Great stuff here. Don't think I can add anything really. I'll just reiterate that a kayak is a solid piece of mass. The laws of physics apply. Think carefully about how one kayaks physical properties, dimensions and hull shape differ from the next, then do what you can to demo them in conditions that you expect to be paddling.

For every positive quality in a yak, I can play devil's advocate and show you how it could be a negative. Hull weight under 40? Totally get why people would demand that. But remember that for production yaks, that lighter weight often translates to less plastic, which is a decent indicator of durability. Oilcanning and cracked scuppers are not the end of the world, but for me, staving off such problems is more important than the lighter weight. Wanna stand? Makes a lot of sense if you like to pitch and flip for bass. Can also help with fatigue and joint issues. Just know that your wider, higher profile yak is gonna be a chore to keep tracking well and will get pushed around a lot more when you decide to chase stripers with it in open water on Texoma with 15-20 mph winds. Wanna cover a ton of water in big wind? Your 15 footer is gonna be great for that, but trying to turn and maneuver that thing when you decide to go into that densely wooded creek for some crappie ain't gonna be easy. Peddle drive you say? I wish I had one too, believe me. But then again, my 12 foot 2 inch mr 12 cost me less than a third of that and when I take it into creeks, shallow cover, and and along oyster reefs, my shoulders might be hurting next day, but I don't have to worry about damaging that mirage drive. Don't like the idea of scuppers cracking under the weight of your ever widening, near middle-aged backside and all that gear you're now taking along? Get yourself a hybrid. They're bullet proof and stable to boot. But get a sponge and a bilge pump and keep in mind that those things can sink. Those 3 foot swells don't just suck now, they can be life-threatening. Want a higher rocker for those swells and chop? Good thinking. Just don't be too irritated when the hull slap from your boat makes those bedding bass aware of your presence while sight fishing.

It's all a tradeoff...

Someday, I'll sell my Manta and get four or five boats. A kaskazi dorado/hobie revo for long distance offshore trips, a Coosa/Commander/Pro Angler with trailer/Ultimate for river running and pitching/flipping to visible cover on small wind sheltered lakes, a Malibu II for taking my wife and or daughter along for a paddle, a Wavewalk with trolling motor to drop brushpiles, a mini x for chunking into the back of my new 4x4 Tacoma to explore unfished creeks, ponds and backwaters, and a canoe that I probably will only use to take one or two nostalgic "Goodbye to A River" style trips during my autumn years and will look great in the rafters of my luxurious man cave.

Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/05/11 03:17 PM

Trade Offs thumb Just about every kayak/hybrid looks great on the store display or laid in the grass with water beading off of it. So PADDLE AS MANY AS YOU CAN STAND before you buy. IMO 14' is too long for our creeks & rivers but fine for lakes & BTB. 13' is a good in between length. <-Compromise

22. A Rudder is a nice extra, they look cool but, are not needed/required on a PADDLE style kayak.
23. Attend a "demo day" at your local kayak shop to test the latest yaks side by side.
24. Paddle fins are a nice option for folks like "PieMoney" who have shoulder or wrist problems.
25. The right Paddle fins are nice in big or open waters but can limit you in shallow waters.
26. Remember both rudders & fins require maintenance.
27. Rudders are required on PEDDLE style kayaks. Some believe them to be a hassle when passing through or fishing shallow waters.
28. More hatches make kayak modifications easier.
29. The "more stable kayaks" start at about 31"+.
30. Most all angler kayak cockpits are laid out a little differently.

ADVISE: Invest in a nice "Paddling Jacket" or PFD (personal flotation device). It can not only save your life but WILL make the kayak experience more enjoyable.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/05/11 05:52 PM

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/07/11 12:29 AM

Selecting Kayak Color:
The top manufactures offer brite colors & it's no accident.
You might ask yourself, "Why do I want to be seen?" Kayaks have a very low profile in the water. At dusk/dawn or even in the middle of a brite-n-sunny day you'll still want to be seen unless your hunting. Remember, the same no street drivin idiots own power boats. Add a few beers to the mix & it gets ridiculous especially on our METRO lakes! Not all florescent colors are easily seen. Yellow, White, Mango & Orange are highly visible against stained water. If your really secure w/ you manhood so is Pink! Orange, Red, Mango, & Yellow are highly visible for BTB.

Question: Will a brite color deter fish? Answer: NO! NOT AT ALL!!!

So what if you dont want to be seen?
Planning to Bow Hunt, Duck Hunt, Run moonshine down the river?
Sand, Green, Blue, Grey, or Camo in any of these will make you stealthy. You could always sport an orange flag, wear a brite vest or tote a white cooler for added visibility noidea

Posted By: spradyak

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/07/11 03:16 AM

My two cents - I would definitely look closely at the hobbies with mirage drive. Having the option of pedaling or paddling is a big plus. Ive had an outback for about two years and shopped around for about year before taking the plunge, so to speak. I've been real pleased with it. Just wish they came equipped with more time so I could get it out more often! I recently went to using an extend-a-bed and haul it in the back of my truck. Like this MUCH better than hauling it on top of my jeep.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/07/11 02:46 PM

By now you guys may know I am working for Diablo, so if anyone in the DFW area (I draw a pretty wide circle) wants to demo an Adios (12.5-footer) this spring, let me know. As you know they're made right here in Texas - "The Friendly State."
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/08/11 05:23 AM

you guys have it covered. try before you buy.
http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/kayakFish.html

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/08/11 05:14 PM

Double Dee, PM sent bud :~)

Had paddled some before but, my 1st kayak, was a Woodsman SI (sit in) touring kayak. I bought it for $200 from a neighbor. She came with gobs of goodies too. It was a one piece kayak & even I knew I couldn't pass on that deal. It would get me out on the water, but man what a difference compared to what's available today!

Did my homework & asked as many folks & paddled as many as I could stand. Kept hearing some brands names over & over. Then Yaknyota said he guides out of Ocean Kayaks & saw they were also getting good reviews. They, among the others mentioned below were popular with the BTB (beyond the breakers) crowd. Went on vacation to Maui & saw the locals using them.

When I looked online I saw all the pros using:

Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Ocean Kayaks
Hobie Kayaks
Cobra Kayaks
Malibu Kayaks
Native Kayaks

So, I learned that these brands had been proven in the sport.
My friends, family & I have owned Perception, Wilderness Systems, Hobie, Ascend, Confluence Sports (i know, i know), Ocean, Native, Malibu, & I've paddle all but the Cobra Kayak line. But, most of the BTB guys have nothing but great things to say about them.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/10/11 04:24 PM

Never paddled one so I couldn't tell you but I see several things about it that I wouldn't care for myself. One is the 250# max cap. Two is the length of it. Three is the hull shape. Four is the lack of storage space anywhere but right behind me. Five the paddle is carp.
In my opinion this would not make for an ideal kayak to covert into a fishing kayak.
Posted By: The Trout Scout

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/10/11 06:22 PM

I saw some Hobie Cats at the Houston Fishing Show last week that caught my eye.

Get tired of paddling, peddle.

Cool stuff !!!

thumb

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/11/11 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
nice work Zombie

thanks butch & thanks to everyone that is helping put this thread together. If you have something to add dont be shy.

I hope this continues to be as useful source of info to many. Feel free to PM me & the others with specific questions. Don't be afraid to start a new thread. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. We were all new to the sport at one time.
Posted By: TG Canoes and Kayaks

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/14/11 10:25 PM

1. Demo before you buy! Nearly every yak shop offers some sort of demo days throughout the year, while some offer them much more frequently (for instance, we offer demos every day we're open). You will instantly feel the difference between 2 similar yaks even if you've never paddled in your life. Ignorance may be bliss, but test driving boats keeps you from thinking "what if?"

2. Figure out where you're going to be paddling 75% of the time and get a boat that fits that. If you're BTB 75% of the time, invest in a T-160, Trident 15 etc. For the other 25% of your paddling, rent or borrow a yak to fit that paddling style. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to try make a Coosa your BTB boat 6 times a year. Someday you'll have 3 or 4 boats that will cover all your paddling needs, but until then, focus on your main paddling area and get a boat that fits that.

3. Manufacturer capacities are ALWAYS over-estimated. If you put 600lbs (listed max capacity) in a Cobra Fish-N-Dive, you'll lose all maneuverability, speed, and stability. You will literally be paddling a $1000 yellow log. Take 2/3 of a listed capacity to find the boat's performance capacity. This will assure that you have a boat that will perform the way it was designed, which allows you to focus less on paddling and more on fishing.

4. You get what you pay for. Sure, the Pelican gets you on the water, but be patient, save up another month, and get yourself into a boat that will last. There's a reason why yak shops don't sell some brands. It may be difficult to hold off on the $299 Academy special, but getting yourself in a $500 used Trident 11 will be so worth it. Some inexpensive brands can't be repaired.

5A. Don't skimp on your paddle and life jacket. For paddles, as price goes up, weight decreases. The difference becomes apparent at the end of a day long paddling trip. There are also different blades for different applications, so try out the paddles before you buy. Most yaks shops (like us) will allow you to test drive paddles as you test drive yaks.
5B. For PFDs, as price goes up, so does comfort. Don't use a ski vest. The arm holes are too small and will rub your arms raw while paddling. Also, when you're trying on PFDs, try sitting in a boat with a similar seat to yours. Some PFDs have a lot of flotation in the back, which gets in the way of your seat. Last thing you want is a thick backed PFD making you hunch over because it doesn't fit well with your yak seat.

6. Buy at your local yak shop. Not only do we yak shops have better equipment than the box stores, but we know yaks. We're not selling running shoes, basketball goals, and BBQ grills. We know how to fit you with the right boat and accessories. We can do installations, repairs, and help you with warranty issues. We'll help you load your yak on your truck, figure out the best rack system for your car, and help give you ideas for your trailer. You may save a little bit of cash at a box store, but that price difference is made up 10-fold by the service only local yak shops can provide.

7. Answers are free. If you have a question, call a local yak shop.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/27/11 10:30 PM

Okay thanks,

Any particular Brand (or Construction Material) I should keep an eye out for?

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/29/11 05:56 PM

Cobra would be the top brand as far as I am concerned although Ocean Kayak has some very good models including the Scrambler XT. Both of these brands tend to keep hull weight to the optimum.

I would avoid the Pelican brand and everything they make, because of just plain poor quality. They don't track well and they don't hold up well. Seats are built-in and of poor quality.

Almost all of the commercially made kayaks out there are made of polyethylene or a derivative thereof. Fiberglass, Kevlar or Graphite are going to be a more expensive.
Custom made wood kayaks are a beautiful and incredibly durable.
If you are looking to build a kayak there is now an option that is "ham fisted hacker" approved, that would be Styrofoam sheet construction.
Posted By: FishingRythe

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/29/11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: The Trout Scout
I saw some Hobie Cats at the Houston Fishing Show last week that caught my eye.

Get tired of paddling, peddle.

Cool stuff !!!

thumb

A few of us around here absolutley love our Hobies, I have used a few other kayaks and now I am 100% spoiled with my outback. They make excellent fishing kayaks and if your paddling technique sucks like mine then they help make up for that too smile
Posted By: fish fear me

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/01/11 02:34 AM

If I wanted to buy one for fishing ponds which one should I look at first.

I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs.

Over 50 yrs old.

Have a pickup truck.

Thanks!

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/02/11 01:16 AM

On this kayak deal, I think I want one that I can sit inside of, instead on on top of.

Am I wrong on this ... I am going to use it to fish ponds and creeks.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/02/11 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: fish fear me
On this kayak deal, I think I want one that I can sit inside of, instead on on top of.

You arent right or wrong. its a matter of getting what works best for your needs. Again, back to the tradeoffs thing. A SINK of equal length is lighter then a SOT. Less easy access space for gear then a SOT. much more comfortable in cold conditions then a SOT. Should you turtle, a SINK requires more time to recover since you have to bail out that water once you are back upright. It it were me, I would want one if I was having to haul it by hand to the launch and wasn't going to be carrying more then one rod and not much other gear.
For mostly ponds and creeks a small SINK would serve you well.
It WILL get hot in the summer down in that plastic.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/02/11 01:43 AM

10 feet is perfect for creeks and ponds. You will find it wanting if you ever wanted to take it out and paddle any distance on area lakes or down at the coast.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/02/11 02:14 AM

"Tracking" would be a better term. When you paddle a kayak, you are pulling on one side then the other. This causes the kayak to track a little to the left then a little to the right even with the best of paddling technique. It's a question of leverage. Now on a long touring sea kayak like a 17 footer you wouldnt notice it. On a short ten footer you will be tracking like a snake and each stroke will waste a fair amount of energy recovering from the last stroke. On small lakes and streams, that wouldn't be a big deal but a long trip over open water can be exhausting with all that wasted energy. Add in a quartering wind and it would take all the fun out of paddling. Now some shorter kayaks can mitigate the problem a bit by sharpening the V or adding a skeg or chines but they can't erradicate it. That's just the nature of hull design. You can also help by using a high paddling stroke vs a low one. This keeps the blade closer to the hull as it passes throught the water.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/04/11 11:17 PM

I'm not saying you can't enjoy a shorter kayak on the flats around port aransas or cruise around ray Roberts. Just saying you might enjoy something longer if you end up doing that. Tradeoffs tradeoffs tradeoffs. I could take my 14 down clear creek north of Denton but it would be a hassle any time I wanted to turn around. There is no perfect kayak for every situation or they would have designed it by now. Some folks who really get unto paddling end up with several kayaks for different situations. Just like a fisherman will have more then one rod and reel or a hunter with multiple guns. The pleasure comes from having the best performing tool for the job at hand.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/05/11 04:33 AM

While I agree with Spiney that SINK vs SOT is really a trade study depending on what you intend to do with the kayak, I can say that of the dozen or so yak anglers I fish with, all of them have SOT kayaks. Coincidence?

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/05/11 04:47 AM

The only advantage I see is casting, but I can cast just fine so I don't see the advantage.

I would think you would get more wet using a SOT kayak.

Is that not true?
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/05/11 11:07 AM

Yes, you will get more wet on a SOT. But in summer this isn't a factor, and in the winter time, you wear waders. The advantages of SOT: easier to get in and out (for wade or bank fishing); you can fish from diferent positions more easily; more space to stow equipment; not as hot in summer.

9 of 10 angling yakkers have SOTs. There's probably a good reason for that.

All that said, it sounds like you want a SINK. So just get one.
Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/05/11 11:17 AM

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...1&langId=-1
Posted By: Slack Water

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/07/11 12:53 AM

Can't dangle your feet in a sink
Posted By: ohiofisherman

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/12/11 12:35 AM

im in northwest houston near memorial city mall. whats a good kayak shop near me?

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/12/11 12:39 AM

Southwest Paddlesports is located in The Woodlands. There's also FTU, Austin Canoe & Kayak and Creative Feather.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/19/11 12:03 PM

I don't know why people keep bringing up Pelican kayaks. Try just about anything else and you will wonder why they are still in business.

I fish rivers and lakes and would not consider any kayak under 11'6", especially for trolling, my favorite kind of fishing.

I have done it and have seen people do it but I don't understand why any fisherman would prefer a SINK over a SOT. Another thing you can't do in a SINK, put fish in the cooler behind you!

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/20/11 04:32 AM

You get wet and your stuff is inside the yak.

Sit on top and get wet and stand the chance of losing a $200 rod and reel with one screwup.

That sounds like a good argument to me.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/20/11 11:53 AM

You get wet and your stuff is inside the yak.

Sit on top and get wet and stand the chance of losing a $200 rod and reel with one screwup.

That sounds like a good argument to me.

I fish all day even in wind and the only thing that gets wet is my feet when I climb into the kayak and when I side saddle to put a fish in the cooler. Now if someone were in a dinky overloaded SOT wet might be a problem. And having my stuff inside the kayak is a good thing.

Why is that different with a SINK? Lose an untethered rod overboard it is gone either way. My son flipped my Navigator last summer. Nothing was lost because it was either inside or tethered.

Turn a SINK over and everything is wet, and good luck getting a SINK right side up and the water out, assuming you don't drown in the process. I'll take the SOT on every item you mention, thankyou.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/21/11 11:03 AM

If you put floats on your rods they will float. It cost maybe a $1 per rod, and works great.

The bottom line is it's a personal choice. Try both, and you decide which one you like more.

Or buy both, and see which one you take out more smile.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/21/11 09:14 PM

I would think if you're in a sink and it turtles unless you know how to right you self your going to bail out of it and then turn it up right. You would still loose a lot of your stuff. I turtled my sot at the GTG racing it backward in 3 feet of water. It didn't take 3 second to flip it back and get back in it. If I was in a sink I would have to go back to shore to get back in it.
Posted By: Slack Water

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/22/11 05:28 PM

Here's one a mechanical paddle kayak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0L8hR2sY0U&feature=related
Posted By: CityByTheSeaCitizen

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/26/11 01:59 AM

The only time I would want a sink was in white water.

As for fishing SOTs, I wouldn't go shorter than 12' if you are average build of 5'10 and 180-200. It won't track well, and it will get topheavy if you overload it.

If you are buying for the first time, pay attention to the seat. It is the most important additional piece to the kayak.

You have probably seen yakinYota do it, but it is really hard to paddle a tandem with one person. And don't ever plan to have two people fish out of a tandem kayak.

In the next year, I will be upgading my fleet to a stealth (me) and a 12' ultimate (wife).
Posted By: hellbender

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/30/11 02:47 AM

http://www.feelfreekayak.com/products/moken12-angler/

these look pretty sweet.dont think any dealers in dallas area.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/01/11 11:14 PM

The Moken 12 Angler is a little narrow at 29", and heavy at 72.7 lbs.
I really don't care for the rear wheel, pretty much useless as far as I can see.
Built in seat back is too short for me.
Much too expensive at 828 bucks. ($916.39 with tax and shipping)
However if you really want one it is available from ACK.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/02/11 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: RealBigReel
The Moken 12 Angler is a little narrow at 29", and heavy at 72.7 lbs.
I really don't care for the rear wheel, pretty much useless as far as I can see.
Built in seat back is too short for me.
Much too expensive at 828 bucks. ($916.39 with tax and shipping)
However if you really want one it is available from ACK.

without a demo we have no idea if that wheel is useless or not & im not driving to austin kayak to demo one.unless ack is a dallas dealer.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/08/11 10:26 PM

after some research, im liking the malibu x-factor for the ultimate fishing yak.looking for a used one.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/11/11 07:38 PM

hellbender,

X-factor is a good choice in my book if your fishing open water or ever think about paddling the bays, chip channels or fishing BTB thumb Malibu has certainly made a name for themselves in the sport. Be aware that that yak is big & heavy! Exactly what a man my size would feel comfy in. Good luck in the hunt. Please let us know how you like it.

Length: 14' 4"
Weight: 62lbs.
Width: 33" (at beam)
Depth: 4.75"(from waterline)
Footrests: Deluxe Adjustable

Max. load: 625 lbs. (these 2 are pushin it) rolfmao

Link to Malibu fishing kayaks: http://www.malibukayaks.com/fishing_kayaks.asp

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/12/11 02:15 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...first love. smile

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/13/11 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: hellbender
after some research, im liking the malibu x-factor for the ultimate fishing yak.looking for a used one.

I definitely recommend rowing it before you buy it, I like a lot of things about mine but it was not a joy to row at all.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/16/11 01:35 PM

try & go duck hunting in a SOT

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/16/11 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
try & go duck hunting in a SOT

You mean like this?

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/drupal/node/251

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/17/11 09:05 PM

wow
how would you like paddling that around
i bet it works though

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/17/11 10:52 PM

It has the Mirage drive. You peddle with your feet, not paddle with your hands. I mean, you can paddle if you need to, but the peddling is a terrific way to get around.
I have the kayak just like it(Hobie Outback). It's extremely stable. A little pricey, but a great Kayak.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/features/miragedrive/
Posted By: Tekell

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/04/11 11:03 PM

Rented a Kayak this morning for a short fishing trip. I learned a lot.

1) A good seat is a must (you guys are 100% right on this).
2) A wider kayak would better for me (I'm 5'9" 215).
3) I would need an anchor system for my fishing.
4) Rod holders are a must
4) Catching a fish from a kayak is really cool!
5) Not buying a pelican.

If I can figure out how to get a live well on one I might take the plunge and give the guys in my bass club hell with it. That Malibu Stealth (above) has got my attention.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/08/11 08:51 PM

Several kayaks are designed with integral bait tanks.
Hobie has an add on bait tank, but you must be under way to get a prime as the pump is above the waterline.
When I had a Cobra Navigator, I put the intake pump down one of the scuppers behind the seat. This self primed but only when I was sitting in it.
My current kayak HYBRID has an intake pump behind the seat that will self prime even with no one sitting in it.

An ordinary Frabil bait bucket will keep bait reasonably well for some people.

I have seen an active recycling system installed on a kayak.

Lusca and several others have passive recycling systems up to about 17 gallons.

An ordinary 6 volt 12 AH battery will power 500 GPM pump for all day day. These pumps are designed to run at 12 volts and 500 GPM which is a little much. Running them at 6 volts turns the volume down to about 115 GPM which is just about right for most installations (including the Hobie).

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/08/11 10:05 PM

He said livewell and bass club.

He needs a livewell that can sustain the life of several bass over the course of several hours for tourny use.

And that is an easy answer. Home built live well using a bilge pump and an airator in a cooler.
I've built and used several.
Posted By: Tekell

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/09/11 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: MR™
He said livewell and bass club.

He needs a livewell that can sustain the life of several bass over the course of several hours for tourny use.

And that is an easy answer. Home built live well using a bilge pump and an airator in a cooler.
I've built and used several.

Once I find my yak I may have to pick your brain on the livewell MR.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/12/11 04:50 PM

I just rigged a cooler with one of these. It'll last all day.

clicky
Posted By: Scruffy Fisher

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/14/11 03:28 AM

What places can help me in the Dallas area for demos and trying to decide what is best for me? When I saw that you can still get a ticket for tubing on White Rock, that is a dealbreaker for me to look at a yak.

Any recommendations for a yak to put on White Rock for crappie for a VERY lightweight person?
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/14/11 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Scruffy Fisher
What places can help me in the Dallas area for demos and trying to decide what is best for me? When I saw that you can still get a ticket for tubing on White Rock, that is a dealbreaker for me to look at a yak.

Any recommendations for a yak to put on White Rock for crappie for a VERY lightweight person?

Mariner Sails. Just give them a call. Great people, and they have demos on the weekends as well.

http://www.mariner-sails.com/contact.asp

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/15/11 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Scruffy Fisher

Every Thursday evening at White Rock Lake Mariner Sales will be out there demonstrating kayaks.
Posted By: Backlash Larue

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/24/11 05:10 PM

I've fished a lot from an Emotion Mojo Angler, Heritage Redfish 12, Diablo Adios 12.5, and Native Manta Ray 12. I've also tried Wilderness Ride and Ocean Prowler 13. Manta Ray is my favorite. Tracks better and paddles faster. Biggest advantage is comfortable seat.

I've also fished from several sit inside boats such as Emotion Glide, Heritage Featherlite 9.5 and 12, and Necky Santa Cruze. My favorite sit inside is the Featherlite 12. It's fast and stable and can handle whitewater with a spray skirt.

I use sit insides for rivers with some rapids and whitewater and sit on tops for flatwater.
Posted By: Csilva

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/04/11 05:09 AM

I went to academy and the best kayak i saw was a perception sport pescador 12' im thinking about buying it but dont know if its a good yak can any of you guys help me?
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/04/11 02:54 PM

I bought one and I am very happy with it. It simply glides thru the water.

Posted By: Csilva

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/04/11 08:16 PM

Thanks linecaster have you ever tried it in the coast or bay? how stable is it? and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
Posted By: nherrera_ce

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/06/11 03:50 AM

I also recently got into kayak fishing. Bought the perception pescador 12 from academy for $ 399. Took it out for the first time friday at purtis creek. Didn't catch much but the trip was more about the yak. Having never used a kayak it went as well as could be, no problems, did well in a slight head wind. Lots of space for an ice chest, lots of tackle, and spots for lots of future add ons.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/06/11 11:53 PM

No I have not fished nor do I intend fishing in the salt.
I have just got into the kayak clan, however I must say that the Pescador after recommendations from members of this board convinced me to by it and I must say I am happy, it is stable enough for me and I have now rigged it with a trolley for the anchor and subsequently changed to the 2 anchor system, without drilling any holes, so it does have enough on it without major modifications.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/07/11 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
I just rigged a cooler with one of these. It'll last all day.

clicky

i like that

staying busy Nocona?
Posted By: DoormatzAndBeer

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/27/11 05:46 AM

My Dad recently purchased me a nice 12' Ascend Angler Kayak. He asked me if it would be alright as part of my upcoming birthday gift(s) and I assuredly said "yes." It's gonna be a great exercise tool too beyond just seeing nature and catching fish all the time, so I'm really looking forward to it all!

As well as finally owning my own Kayak to fish on, I've also become more and more interested in crab trapping. I've seen some videos of people pulling up their crab pots from Kayaks and would love to experience that beauty of nature myself soon enough. Anybody else try trapping with their Kayaks yet and, if so, do you have any tips, pics or stories about it all? I'd love to see what ya got. Thanks.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/28/11 10:24 PM

After reading thru all the Rookie post you hopefully have gained enough knowledge to know what to look for in a Fishing Kayak.

So what kayaks should you demo 1st?

CLICK HERE - Article on top 10 Angler Kayaks

Remember each of these also has there own + & -
Paddling as many as you can side by side.
You can demo a new kayak and buy a lightly used 1 for less.

Thoughts from any SEASONED yakers?

Posted By: DoormatzAndBeer

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/30/11 07:53 AM

Alrighty then. Suit yourself with the thread. I was only trying to help and bring some "excitement" to it.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/03/11 01:17 PM

http://www.txnaturekayaking.com/files/2-Rules-and-Suggestions-for-Kayakers.pdf
Posted By: Fishgutz

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 12/11/11 02:00 AM

Now I know what a "sink" is......haw haw

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/11/12 11:38 AM

Try, try, try BEFORE you buy. The two best peaces of advice I can give is to try out diffrent kayaks before you decide on which one is right for you. Go out with friends, or go to your local kayak shop and let them take you out and try a few kayaks BEFORE you buy. I studied and studied on kayaks when I bought the first one. I thought I had done my homework well and went out and bought a kayak.
A month or so later I had it up for sale be cause I didn't TRY IT BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. Be patent, go demo a few kayaks first. Compare the different models side by side. Then and only then put you hard earned money one the counter to purchase you first kayak.

The second thing is to get hooked up with a experanced kayaker, or group of Kayakers in your area. Let the first few times out be with people that are willing to get you started off on the right foot.

Note: If anyone is getting started in kayaking and needs someone to go out with them the first couple times I'm happy to be there for you. I live up by Ray Roberts but can meet down around Lewisville or Grapevine. It's not hard getting started but to have someone there to give a couple timely pointers helps.
Shaun

Posted By: Muckbucket

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/15/12 11:37 PM

Just took out my new vapor 10. Great kayak. It tracks good, fast, comfortable. My kid loved it too. With the large cockpit we both had a good ride. Totally dry inside the boat. Stable enough to feel good about. All around great kayak and right now it is 100 dollars of at academy thru Saturday.

Posted By: Carp_Bait

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/20/12 04:49 AM

I agree totally. Drunks in big boats crash into other big boats all the time so any help being seen the better. They should start making more life jackets in bright orange etc too IMO.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/20/12 04:53 AM

I agree with all who say try before you buy. But after watching videos on the new WS Ride 115 I may buy before I try.

Posted By: onefishtwofishredfishbluefish

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/28/12 08:46 PM

Whats the general opinion on Old Town kayaks? Academy has a 10ft vapor angler on sale near me for $279. Just going to be used for small ponds.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/28/12 09:26 PM

old town has been building some quality canoes & other small water craft for many yrs. IMO for small tanks n ponds the vapor is OK. Just know what its limitations are concerning weight capacity. Sit In Kayaks can certainly be nice in the winter time when the water is cold but R harder to get in n out of especially if you turtle (Dump Over) on the water. If the water is cold (Below 60*). SOTs (Sit On Tops) are easier & just make more sense the other 8-9 months out of the yr.

Posted By: mikepaddle

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/29/12 02:04 PM

I finally had the opportunity to paddle the Ride 115 for a few minutes after a customer demo last Saturday morning. BTW the customer followed me to the store afterwards and purchased the same Ride that she demoed. This amazing little 11' 6" yak is rated for a 500# payload. It carried me as if I wasn't even there. That little Ride has excellent performance while still having the maneuverable characteristics of a shorter boat. Another neat point...the customer had never paddled a yak before but was out in the lake standing up and comfortably bouncing back and forth in less than 30 minutes from the first splash. Her boyfriend was so impressed that he ordered a Camo Ride 135 yesterday.

Wilderness Systems has done a great job with the re-do of the Ride 135 as well as the introduction of the new Ride 115. Most of you probably know but the redesign of the Ride 135's hull increased the payload from 400# to 550#, kept the superior stability, PLUS added an extreme increase to the yaks performance.

Upcoming events to try a Ride will be on the 10th at Fly Fish Texas at Athens, the TFF Spring GTG, Thursday afternoons and several Saturday mornings at White Rock Lake. Call me for details.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/22/12 06:17 AM

I agree with others who say, there is no single best Yak. May be why many have a fleet of them? My little Tarpon 100 is a great yak for a light weight, throw in the back of the truck & go out for a few hours after work or on the weekend. May not be good for long distance or speed, but finding a place to unload that's not too far to the fishing hole is usually not a problem. Nice size for kids to have fun on too. Paddle before you buy is sound advice but if I had the money right now I'd go buy a Coosa without trying one out. I already know from not paddling one it's not a speed demon, can be a bugger in heavy wind, mostly designed for river fishing, seat to die for etc. etc. If I had lots of money I'd buy a ride 115 without trying it out also. That's just me tho. New to kayaking folks should study as much as possible to figure out what will be best for their needs & test paddle the ones they narrow down too. Nothing worse than regretting what could be a large investment for many folks. Right now a 400 dollar used yak would be a large investment for me being I'm busted broke..

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/03/12 01:12 PM

It really depends on your style of fishing that determines if you have the perfect kayak.

I have what I consider the perfect kayak, and that is "for me" and it does everything that I need it to do.

It's light enough for me to handle and load on top of my Jeep at 48# and it's 31" wide and is rock stable. It has a huge front hatch that I can load two rod and reels, my seat, my lifejacket and have it all self contained where I just grab it and go.

That said, you can never have too many kayaks, so I'm looking for another kayak right now since I already have two, but need another for my other grandaughter, so instead of picking up a cheaper one, that may get used just a few times, I'm going to go with a more expensive upgrade, and I'm looking at the Malabu Stealth 12.

Afterall, when your able to find an excuse for a new yak, you might as well take advantage of it! bannana2

Posted By: KaLuB

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/11/12 10:48 PM

I love my wilderness systems commander 120. It is the most stable kayak I have ever been in. I can stand, turn around, cast, fight fish, do back flips in the summer, etc.. The removable seat is extremely comfortable, but I spend most of my time in the captains perch. I like the higher seating position both for paddling and fishing. It is also requires little thought or effort to stand up while in the captains chair. Due to the hull shape it tracks extremely well without a rudder. It is a bit of a beast to turn though. Its not the fastest boat out there, but once you get up to speed it moves along pretty well. I can paddle for hours without a break.

It is an extremely good creek boat. During the winter and spring, I wear waders and can jump in and out of the boat to fish or drag the boat over big logs. It handles light rapids well. Tight turns in rapids can be tough but are doable with the right technique. You can lean this boat almost all the way over on its side and it wont tip.

It handles well on lakes too. I've been out in all sorts of conditions on all the major lakes around here including texoma. On windy days I get some splash from big waves over the bow. It is usually minimal amounts of water, and it pools in the back. This is due to the open, canoe like shape of the kayak. I plan to get the bow bag/cover to help with this.

Accessories are very easy to add due to the track system that runs the entire length of the boat. I have added an anchor trolly, fish finder, work platform, storage boxes, rod holders, drink holder... all attached to the tracks and all easy to re-position or remove. You can also fit a ton of gear inside the boat, plenty to camp for multiple nights. A dog or child is also not a problem.

It has a trolling motor mount at the back. I have rigged a trolling motor with an extra long tiller handle and moved the controls forward to a box on the deck. It moves along nicely and is easy to steer, though I have only tested it once on private water. I will need to get the yak registered before further trials on public lakes.

I have had mine for a couple years and I would guess it has seen ~200 trips. Nothing has broken, and it has held up very well. I bought it at Mariner Sails. They gave me a good deal and allowed me to try the boat at WR.

cons:
1. boat smells like fish.
2. She is a heavy mama. about 60 lbs. The padded sides do make it relatively easy to carry, but there are times when I would like a lighter boat.

Pics taken shortly after I bought the boat:

This winter:

I almost forgot to mention my favorite feature of the boat. Get a long kayak paddle or paddle board paddle, and you can easily paddle from the standing position. You can actually lean into the paddle strokes and move along pretty fast.

I also own an 11 foot perception sit in yak. It was my 2nd yak, and is now my "friend" boat. It is slightly faster, and more maneuverable. You cannot stand in this boat, but secondary stability is excellent. The seat is ok. If you have back problems, make the seat a priority in your purchase. A good seat makes all the difference.

Future additions to the fleet:
1.Native Watercraft Versa Board
2.Liquid Logic Coupe
3.Feel Free Moken 10
4.Wilerness Systems Ride or Tarpon (If I ever get into ocean fishing)

Posted By: Cudadude

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/20/12 04:30 PM

Allot of good information here for people new to kayaking, Thanks everyone for your input. I was very impressed with the wisdom shared here; I would like to share my thoughts on the Jackson line.
I have tried many different Kayaks; buying trading and so on, and hands down I keep coming back to a Jackson kayak. You won’t find a better kayak for the money that offers all your needs. If you’re looking to try out a Jackson Kayak I can put you in one as demo and you can try it for yourself. Anyone interested just PM me.

Posted By: YakForBass

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/23/12 12:18 AM

the hardest thing for me ... is the life jacket - still have not found one that i like yet. i have a wilderness systems ride and love it. it is heavy ... but very stable.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/26/12 01:01 AM

Have not paddled jacksons "Big Tuna". I do like Jackson & Wilderness in more protected waters. Hobie, Ocean, Malibu, Cobra etc etc for open waters. When the water is smooth n calm, in general, they all perform well. But, if you happen to find yourself in some nice choppy water because u got Caught out in some high winds (it will happen) trust me, your will want a yak that will more than just handle it. Jackson & WS are quality made for sure wink I'm talking about performance in white cap conditions. This is another reason why we stress that you pay attention to weight ratings. Remember, you will be carrying rigging, gear, beverage, snacks, hopefully a ice chest full of cold fish if your keeping. You should at least keep this in mind when your demoing different yaks. We have learned these things through experience. what works well in the ocean doesn't necessarily work well in creeks rivers but in my experence Jackson excels in the creeks n rivers. Really like mods that some lines like Jackson & WS, Hobie, Malibu have made for the angler. Angler Yaks have come a long ways & are still improving. The future looks bright for the kayak angler thumb

Posted By: The Ninja

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/26/12 06:38 PM

I think Cobra secondary floatation could be better. Or at least on the navigator.

Posted By: Terror Dactyl

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/03/12 06:40 AM

I guess I have missed the demos and haven't found any where here in NW Hou to try either a Pescador Angler 12 or a Sport caster 12.5. The counter person at the 290 Gander Mountain said that there was a local dealer that had a tank to demo yaks and that they had some times brought it them as well but she could not remember the name of the other store.

FTU I-10 had said that the next demo day will be in the fall.

My google search has not shown any rental places that are doing either of these yaks in their online listings.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/04/12 04:03 PM

Surely someone on N. Houston has a Pescador 12 (tarpon120 same thing) that you can paddle.

Posted By: Terror Dactyl

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/04/12 08:36 PM

Guess not. Will figure s way sooner or later.

Thanks for the thought.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/12/12 11:57 PM

Austin canoe and kayak has a Houston location, not sure where but you might check them out,

ACK Houston Store:
5822 Bissonnet
Houston, TX 77081
(713) 660-7000

Store Hours:
M-F 10am - 7pm
S-S 10am - 5pm

Posted By: jtbgator

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/18/12 03:10 PM

First off, thank you all for the great advice on kayaks. I'm looking to get into my first kayak very soon. I live in DFW and stopped at Mariner Sails and looked at the Hobie Mirage i9s inflatable.

Anyone have any thoughts to it? I'd use it for fishing and like the ease of transport with an inflatable.

Appreciate any feedback.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/28/12 12:11 AM

there is a post already about that inflatable yak recently

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/28/12 03:28 PM

Based on your input/post, word of mouth, specs, ratings & personal experiences, this is what we've come up with so far...

For 2012

SPEED - Ocean Torque, Hobies w/ Turbo fins, & AI w/sail, Native Mariner, Ocean Prowler 15, Wilderness Tarpon 16

STABILITY - Hobie AI & PA, Cobra Fish n Dive, NuCanoe, Native Ultimate, Wilderness Ride

MANEUVERABILITY - Jackson Koosa, Malibu Mini-X, Ocean Frenzy

DURABILITY - Malibu Mini-X, Ocean Frenzy

LBS. CAPACITY - Cobra Fish n Dive, Hobie PA, Jackson BigTuna, Ocean Big Game, NuCanoe, Malibu X-factor

MOST VERSATILE - Hobie AI - Sail, Paddle & Peddle, Ocean 2XL Tandem, Wilderness Ride 11.5

MOST COMFY - Native Ultimate, Hobie PA, Jackson Kayaks

LIGHTEST - Native Tegris @ 30lbs., Malibu Mini-X, Ocean Frenzy, Tarpon 12 Ultra Light

HEAVIEST - Hobie PA, Malibu Stealth 14, NuCanoe, Hobie AI (sail & out riggers & Tramps), Hobie Outback, Wilderness Ride 135

BEST RIVER YAK - Wilderness Commanders, Jackson Koosa, Diablo kayaks, Wilderness 100, Native Ultimate

LAKE FREINDLY - Yaks 12' plus & 30" plus wide w/ a pronounced keel

BTB FRIENDLY - Hobie AI, Cobra Fish-n-Dive, ?

WORST - Pelican, ?

MOST BANG FOR $ (NEW) - ASCEND FS12T, Pescador 12, Ocean Scrambler, Red Fish 12, 14, Ocean Drifter, Pompano 120

MOST EXPENSIVE - Hobie AI & PA, Malibu X-Factor, Ocean Torque, Cobra Pro-Fisherman, ?

BEST ALL AROUND SOLO
- Malibu 12 Stealth, Native Manta Ray 14, Ocean Prowler 13, Wilderness Ride 135, Hobie Outback, Cobra Navigator

OVERRATED - Perception Caster 12.5, Perception Search, Native Mariner

MOST STORAGE - Hobie PA, Ocean 2XL Tandem, Malibu X-Factor, Ocean BigGame, Native Ultimate, NuCanoe, ?

THIS THREAD IS FOR NEWBIES.
NEWBIES, WE ASK THAT YOU PLEASE CONTINUE TO POST
YOUR QUESTIONS & COMMENTS IN A NEW THREAD.

Thanks to everyone for helping us make this thread work as a reliable source
of info to all the new guys coming into the sport thumb

Posted By: Big redneck

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/28/12 11:09 PM

Great job Zombie! Thanks for putting in the time to help folks out.

Posted By: xmbbd

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/10/12 10:20 AM

It will basically turn in its own length and is actually my creek boat that works in wind and open also.

Posted By: jeeperbryan

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/18/12 08:15 PM

LOL, I went to Academy and got the cheapeast fullsize kayak they had. I guess I did bad.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/01/12 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: jeeperbryan
LOL, I went to Academy and got the cheapeast fullsize kayak they had. I guess I did bad.

hmmm Depends what you purchased, what kind of fishing you do & where you do it. Think they carry less Ocean Kayaks now and more Perception, Old Town & Heritage kayaks.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores...catalogId=10051
Seems like Academy was BLOWING OUT their Ocean kayak Inventory. Not a terrible place to get a yak if thats all you have around you. To bad they stopped handling Ocean IMO.
There was & may still be some incredible deals out there on the Ocean line from Academy Sports. In my experience i haven't found their staff to be too knowledgeable regarding Angler Kayaks. Visiting a kayak shop is a good idea. Fortunately Academy still carries the Pescador 12'

Heritage Angler 12' & 14'

Old Town Caspian

These all seem to be working well for most fresh water ways, shallow bays, creeks & rivers.

Posted By: HobieMan

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/07/12 03:42 AM

I haul a Hobie Outback on top of my 99 civic. It is faster than most yaks (Revo edges it) but I can stand and fish in the Outback with ease...even in high winds or wake areas. The Hobie Outback is a fishing machine and you can mod the hell out of those things.

Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/07/12 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: HobieMan
I haul a Hobie Outback on top of my 99 civic. It is faster than most yaks (Revo edges it) but I can stand and fish in the Outback with ease...even in high winds or wake areas. The Hobie Outback is a fishing machine and you can mod the hell out of those things.

I like you screen name!

Posted By: jazzalbart

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/20/12 12:11 PM

When choosing your fishing kayak, there are many factors to take into consideration. You should identify what fish species you will target and how far you will have to paddle to get to the location where you plan to fish. If you have to paddle long distances to your fishing locations, you would be better off with a longer kayak.

Posted By: Poetfury

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/23/12 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: HobieMan

This is one of the main reasons I am looking into a kayak..I have a civic aswell and would like to be able to get away from shore once in awhile.What rack are you using? I have a 2006 myself.

Posted By: Poetfury

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/23/12 02:00 AM

btw...sent you a PM Mr. Zombie

Posted By: wheelchairdude28

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/26/12 09:11 PM

what paddle do yall suggest, im new to kayaking

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/27/12 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Poetfury
btw...sent you a PM Mr. Zombie

PM Answered

Originally Posted By: wheelchairdude28

Generally a 230-240 works for most adults
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/27/12 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: wheelchairdude28

Welcome to the TFF Justin.
Posted By: wheelchairdude28

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/28/12 09:08 PM

Thanks deerstrangler
Posted By: txkayaker

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/29/12 12:58 PM

I've been kayaking for several years now and just went to a 240 paddle and have noticed a BIG difference. No more hitting the side of my kayak.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/29/12 10:55 PM

wider yak u need a longer paddle. i use a 230 paddle and am 6 ft 2. 34 inch wide kayak. works great
Posted By: yakintime

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 09/17/12 05:51 PM

Paddle blade sizes and shapes are worth taking into consideration as well. The bigger the blade, the more powerful the paddle is per stroke AND the more energy it requires per stroke. Many kayak anglers prefer large to medium blades while long distance paddlers prefer small blades. When starting and stopping, punching though current or waves and paddling into the wind many kayakers prefer a larger blade. Smaller bladed paddles don't get up to speed as quickly but once there they require less energy to maintain your speed over a long haul.

Just a few more things to chew on......
Posted By: CcnyvFish

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 10/12/12 02:20 PM

This is a great thred cant wait to poitn my friend in this direction! Thank you!
Posted By: jazzalbart

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 10/18/12 06:19 AM

As I experienced, Going to your local kayak fishing retailer is probably the most important thing you can do. Your local dealer will be able to help you understand the options available and you can perform any service or warranty work if necessary.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 10/26/12 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: jazzalbart
As I experienced, Going to your local kayak fishing retailer is probably the most important thing you can do. Your local dealer will be able to help you understand the options available and you can perform any service or warranty work if necessary.

Pretty good advice!

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 11/04/12 07:10 PM

I wished someone would have given me this advise when I first started out. I went to a big box store that sold me things that didn't fit me or the purpose that I was getting a kayak.
Posted By: Jeaux

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 11/06/12 05:45 PM

Shaun, now we know the reason laugh

I think I have some of the same issues smirk

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 12/21/12 03:31 PM

i am going to switch to a SOT this spring
my knees make it where i just have to fall out of my Sit In
Posted By: readtrio

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/19/13 01:46 PM

Looking real hard at the Pescador 12.
Any place to go try one out near Burleson?

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/21/13 06:05 PM

Are there any yak dealers near Burleson?
Posted By: PayneFish

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/21/13 07:26 PM

Check out

Mariner Sails in Dallas
APT in Hurst
Mountain Sports in Arlington

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/22/13 02:32 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Originally Posted By: PayneFish
Check out

Mariner Sails in Dallas
APT in Hurst
Mountain Sports in Arlington

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/24/13 06:05 AM

banana

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/24/13 06:15 AM

Went to mountain sports today in arlington. Pretty good selection of yaks there, looked at the pescador 12, the ride 115 I really liked the cuda 14. That will probably be the one I buy for myself.
Posted By: Dhs

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/27/13 06:10 PM

What is a extend a bed and where do you find them?
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 01/28/13 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Dhs
What is a extend a bed and where do you find them?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=bed+extender

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/20/13 08:12 PM

Look at people's signature & you'll find out which is the best kayak cheers

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/21/13 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: R E N

hammer loco_2 dunce

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/21/13 08:34 PM

Bruce Lee makes kayaks?! rolfmao

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/21/13 10:25 PM

Bruce Lee makes kayaks?! rolfmao
If he was still alive & made kayaks, it would be the best kayak ever! thumb rolfmao

I was referring to the sponsored guys. They ALWAYS have the best kayaks IMO thumb

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/22/13 03:28 AM

Just ribbing you a bit REN. smile I would love to see a Bruce Lee kayak. Too bad he never made one. frown

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/25/13 12:09 AM

Truth is Bruce Lee cant swim.
Posted By: BrazosYaker

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/08/13 08:57 PM

cool

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/10/13 03:10 PM

Maybe he can swim. But I never saw it. LOL
Posted By: bonz

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/05/13 03:31 AM

I'm thinking of getting a accend fs10 for the simple fact of the size,comfort, price and storage any body every had any problem with them I think ok would be a good starter yak
Posted By: Pop1655

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/07/13 01:12 PM

Recommendations and/or stay away froms:

I'm a boat guy. The yak is secondary
Not intended for major expeditions.
I'll be traveling light.
No coast, no big lakes.

Want something to throw in the back of the truck to run down to the river for an hour or two with a couple of ultra lite rigs and a bag of grubs.

Just "looking" the Wilderness Tarpon 100 catches my eye, but my eye is uneducated.

I also probably have the option of repo-ing my OK Caper my daughter "borrowed" a couple of years ago.

Tarpon 100 a good choice?
Repo the Caper?
Keep shopping?

Thanks!
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/07/13 02:44 PM

I have the same thing in mind for quick trips (which describes most of my trips..). I'm leaning toward a Mini-X but the Tarpon 100 is in the mix too. Maybe I'll buy one for my 12 yr old and sneak off with it from time to time.

If you like the Caper and your daughter wouldn't miss it, I'd repo. My family and I paddled a 5 mile trip below Broken Bow Lake last month in Jackson rental kayaks similar to the Caper (Riviera, maybe). It was fun and fishable for a 3-4 hour trip, even without seats.
Posted By: pearow

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/07/13 02:51 PM

just buy a cheap one on sale; years ago i bought a little 10 foot "twist" from sams warehouse with seat and paddle for $200. Its still my go to yak for doing what you just said; throwing in the pickup and going to a little lake or pond somewhere; nothin fancy; just a float to fish kind of thing-p-

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/09/13 11:39 AM

tarpon and caper thumb
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/09/13 07:18 PM

Been reading all the post on this and i have made my mind up to get one but is there one at academy that would be a good first one , me and a buddy are going to get our first ones so any thoughts ??
I have around $600 to spend right now .

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/12/13 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
Been reading all the post on this and i have made my mind up to get one but...
I have around $600 to spend right now .

Good read IMO: http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt..._for_500#UNREAD

U might start a new thread & maybe give us some key info for better feedback. Here are a few key questions:

1. What is your height n weight?
2. What do you normally fish for & where?
3. Do you want to peddle, paddle your kayak or both?
4. What is your max $ amount for a Yak, Paddle & GOOD Life Vest?
5. How will you be transporting your new yak?
6. When are you looking to buy?
7. Do you know how to & where u will store your yak?
8. Where are you thinking of buying?
9. Have you considered buying used or set on buying new?
10. How many have you demoed?
11. Do you plan on demoing? if so where & when?

What other questions do you have?
Posted By: Shopionics

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/12/13 04:08 PM

Very informative superb work .... !
Posted By: GreytFish

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/14/13 02:55 PM

I would like to know your opinions on a Kayak for Baffin Bay. Here's some more information so that you can help me better...

1. What is your height n weight? 5'8", 215
2. What do you normally fish for & where? saltwater inshore
3. Do you want to peddle, paddle your kayak or both? Both
4. What is your max $ amount for a Yak, Paddle & GOOD Life Vest? $3500
5. How will you be transporting your new yak? truck bed with bed extender.
6. When are you looking to buy? 2013
7. Do you know how to & where u will store your yak? How to...no.....where...covered, no AC.
8. Where are you thinking of buying? Houston, Spring, Tomball
9. Have you considered buying used or set on buying new? Doesn't matter i suppose
10. How many have you demoed? none, new to it, although I have kayaked before.
11. Do you plan on demoing? if so where & when? Could do.

I've been looking and think the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 would do the trick....Are there any cheaper brands that are of similar quality and features?

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/15/13 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: GreytFish
I would like to know your opinions on a Kayak for Baffin Bay. Here's some more information so that you can help me better...

1. What is your height n weight? 5'8", 215
2. What do you normally fish for & where? saltwater inshore
3. Do you want to peddle, paddle your kayak or both? Both
4. What is your max $ amount for a Yak, Paddle & GOOD Life Vest? $3500
5. How will you be transporting your new yak? truck bed with bed extender.
6. When are you looking to buy? 2013
7. Do you know how to & where u will store your yak? How to...no.....where...covered, no AC.
8. Where are you thinking of buying? Houston, Spring, Tomball
9. Have you considered buying used or set on buying new? Doesn't matter i suppose
10. How many have you demoed? none, new to it, although I have kayaked before.
11. Do you plan on demoing? if so where & when? Could do.

I've been looking and think the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 would do the trick....Are there any cheaper brands that are of similar quality and features?
Have you considered the Hobie Revolutions? They are less expensive and paddle and peddle marvelously! Just can't stand in them.......
Posted By: GreytFish

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/16/13 09:28 PM

Appreciate your feedback! This will be my first kayak and I'm finding that there are soooo many variables to think about. Definitely will need to test some. In general however, I will be fishing Texas coastal marshes.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/29/13 02:48 PM

you can buy a good SOT, paddle & life jacket at Academy for $600
dont over analyze it
Posted By: 2wheelz4me

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/06/13 07:47 PM

I keep hearing the following: 1. Demo before you buy! Nearly every yak shop offers some sort of demo days throughout the year, while some offer them much more frequently (for instance, we offer demos every day we're open). You will instantly feel the difference between 2 similar yaks even if you've never paddled in your life. Ignorance may be bliss, but test driving boats keeps you from thinking "what if?".

My questions is where? Rentals or will shops selling allow you to demo them for more than a few minutes? I want to really fish out of several to make sure they are comfortable and I like the yak.
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/07/13 11:21 AM

Where you are located will help answer that

Mariner Sails in DFW has demo days on Thursdays and the occasional Saturday at white rock lake, by reservation

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/08/13 04:21 AM

Guess that would help! I am in North/West Ft Worth. Thanks!!

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/10/13 03:03 AM

Anyone??

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/19/13 03:33 AM

not absolutely sure but i think
both mariner sales of dallas
and mountain sports of arlington
will take a serious buyer down
to the water once theyve narrowed
it down. which ones r u interested
in?
Posted By: APT

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/19/13 03:35 AM

We,will also take customers out for demos.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/24/13 04:18 PM

Interested in the Tarpon and the Cuda 12. Thanks for the response!
Posted By: dead_eye_dick

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/11/13 04:03 AM

+1 on that. They did my family in Rockport right and I heard they went to Tech. Guns up baby
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/18/13 08:20 PM

Just my 2 cents. I'm new to kayak fishing and wanted to get into it on a budget. I found the Field & Stream Talon at Dick's sporting goods on sale for 399.00. It was normally 549.00. With the 10% off for opening a Dick's account the grand total was 389.00 after taxes. I have been out a few times and could not be happier with the yak. Only and I mean only complaint is the seat needs to be swapped out but for 59.00 that problem was taken care of. Yak tracks well, has 400lbs rating, rod holders, anchor, paddle holders, lots of storage, and comes in yellow or camo. Oh and did I mention you it was on sale for 399.00. If money is no object a top end kayak is probably better but I can't see how it could be better than having 2 or even 3 of these. Sorry, just get excited when I find a good product at a good price.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/24/13 07:44 PM

I agree with most of the info below, just keep in mind the caveat was for an all-around kayak for fishing the varied inshore and offshore waters of se florida. popcorn2

http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/yakdesign101.html

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/25/13 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: onfirecrappie
I'm new to kayak fishing and wanted to get into it on a budget. I found the Field & Stream Talon at Dick's sporting goods on sale for 399.00... Oh and did I mention you it was on sale for 399.00...I can't see how it could be better than having 2 or even 3 of these. Sorry, just get excited when I find a good product at a good price.

The F&S Talon is a decent starter yak IMO so cheers
Does sound like your decision to go with the talon was mostly $ based though.
i certainly understand that too having been there n done that with other things.

but when you get to paddle yaks side by side, you'll be thinkin more about stability, safety, comfort, quality, overall feel. then all the rigging possibilities!!! laugh
custom rigging your yak is a big part of tha "yak angling experience" & when u get it right, it feels nice!. no so nice when it's wrong & youve swiss cheesed your new fishing vessel. if your looking to customize a new yak, start a thread asking for advise. some folks around here r actually well known for their innovative rigging abilities wink
Posted By: Fly-Tyer T

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/02/13 03:01 PM

TEST
Posted By: Texasknightwind

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/04/13 11:08 PM

Where is a honest web site for used kayaks? Thanks
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/06/13 01:49 PM

there is a classified here in the kayak forum.

I bought mine off craigslist. You just need to know what to look for and make sure you test drive it

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/10/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin_on_credit88
i was a a walmart a few weeks ago and these guys were about to buy their sink kayaks and go fishing... welll i spoke up and let them know that they were about to waste their hard earned cash on something they wont like and explained the basics of kayaks and why they need to shop around... the sales guy said thanks bc he didnt wanna have to get em down lol
Posted By: Dougy

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 10/11/13 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

hammer loco_2 dunce
BINGO!!
Posted By: Bandit03

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 10/20/13 09:49 PM

I notice several comments about a Bait Tank for Yak's. Can't build one for every Yak,but might be able to mold a universal size. Would need enough interest to justify building a mold.
Posted By: ClydeWilliams

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/03/14 12:28 PM

Hello all,

I just love fishing, and been doing that with my dad since I was a little kid. Now I suggested to him that we combine fishing with kayaking, to introduce some 'adrenaline' into our hobby :P So, I was wondering if I could ask for some objective opinions about the two we had in mind. Which is better and why, from a fishermen's point of view?

1. http://www.tandemkayakreviews.com/lifetime-sport-fisher-kayak-with-paddles-and-backrests-review/

2. http://www.tandemkayakreviews.com/sea-eagle-330-inflatable-kayak-with-deluxe-package-review/

Also, I would like to know what exactly are the benefits of inflatable kayak over regular one?

Thank you in advance smile

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/03/14 09:03 PM

Clyde,

2 adult males in a SMAll kayak can work if your just using it to get
where you want to fish off the bank or
Fishing a Small Pond, Creek or small River (protected flat waters).

I personally prefer to have my own yak. My youngest son (currently 45lbs) goes
with me but, only when the conditions are right.
I plan on getting him his own when he can
manage one. Advise you look at a Canoe or similar hybrid kayak for 2 people.
Lifetime doesn't make great yaks.
Don't see them being able to make a good little 2 MAN angler yak honestly.
Adults usually FISH independently because slinging fish hooks in such tight proximity
can be hazardous to your health. Also no one wants to turtle & loose gear.
If your just set to do the 2 MAN yak thing look at Malibu XL by ocean or Jacksons
Big Tuna to name a few.

These yaks have higher weight limits & r wider for extra
stability. Big n long they aren't really designed for small protected waters however.
Consider getting 2 New Pescador kayaks & a trailer to haul them.
U could also get 2 gently used name brand yaks. When you do it this way you'll
often pick up a paddle, jacket, seat & extra goodies y'all can use.
IF THEY LOOK ROUGH DON'T BUY EM!

I feel that the only MAJOR benefit of an an inflatable is storage space ;~)

Posted By: FisherTeng85

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/11/14 10:35 AM

Wassup TFF!!! new user but ive always visited this forum......i just wanted everyone opinion on basspro's ascend d10? thinking about picking one up and i would like to hear everyone's thoughts on it..... i plan on fishing small ponds and creeks and lakes similar in size to joe pool ....think it can handle well out there????

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/12/14 02:48 AM

D10s r nice IMO. U want at least 150 lbs rating over everything thats going in your vessel.
Dont get on the lake when its rough.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/06/14 03:40 PM

...The deal had to be done and at the price I was getting I bought them. Sight unseen. With no demo.
24 hours after I heard about the deal I picked up the kayaks. Wanting to play with my new toys I headed to the lake. Having come from a 10 foot long sit inside kayak, this new 14 foot sit on top was going to be awesome! Except, it wasn't.
As soon as I pushed off from the shore I started to rock. It took everything I had to stay upright and not tip over. I paddled a little bit, struggling the whole time. I hated this kayak. 10 minutes after I started I wanted to get rid of it. My Pelican NEVER did this.

A month after I bought the Heritage, I sold it.

I made too many mistakes. I failed to demo. The guy even offered to let me try it out. I refused because I knew other people were interested and didn't want to lose the deal. I was so anxious to get out of my old kayak I didn't check it out...

Read the rest at: http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2014/03/failed-to-demo.html

Another example of why we say paddle before you buy (New or Used)
Thanx 4 sharing w/us Payne cheers
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/07/14 01:02 PM

Hello members of the TFF. I'm also a new user who just moved to Texas thinking about getting myself a 'yak. Does anyone know of any good places that would rent me one so I can see how I like it?

any feedback appreciated!
thanks
Dan

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/09/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: dandeeks
Does anyone know of any good places that would rent me one so I can see how I like it?

Dan
i dont know what kind they rent but here is a link to whiterock in dallas http://www.whiterockpaddle.com/

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/10/14 12:07 AM

thanks
Posted By: Sunup

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/23/14 06:45 PM

Should have been paddled before he went and purchased. whip rolfmao
...The deal had to be done and at the price I was getting I bought them. Sight unseen. With no demo.
24 hours after I heard about the deal I picked up the kayaks. Wanting to play with my new toys I headed to the lake. Having come from a 10 foot long sit inside kayak, this new 14 foot sit on top was going to be awesome! Except, it wasn't.
As soon as I pushed off from the shore I started to rock. It took everything I had to stay upright and not tip over. I paddled a little bit, struggling the whole time. I hated this kayak. 10 minutes after I started I wanted to get rid of it. My Pelican NEVER did this.

A month after I bought the Heritage, I sold it.

I made too many mistakes. I failed to demo. The guy even offered to let me try it out. I refused because I knew other people were interested and didn't want to lose the deal. I was so anxious to get out of my old kayak I didn't check it out...

Read the rest at: http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2014/03/failed-to-demo.html

Another example of why we say paddle before you buy (New or Used)
Thanx 4 sharing w/us Payne cheers
Posted By: Bakerman

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/06/14 11:33 PM

Not that we need another view point or page at this stage but look at what the kayak outfitters are using. They need durability, stability and ease of maintenance. You'll see a lot of Ocean Kayaks and others. Go on a paddle with the crowd and rent their boats. See if kayaking is the thing for you.

I fish from what ever kayak I have at the time. The touring kayak has rod holders. The fishing kayak has rod holders. I find the most pleasure at simple fishing. One rod. A little tackle. Maybe a bag of jig heads and some soft plastice and that's it. Leatherman in my vest. Larger knife for knife things. Some sit ons can carry a lot of stuff but why go to all that trouble. If I want stuff I can take the Center Console.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/04/14 10:18 PM

New to this.. so this thread is great.

QUESTION: If I want a kayak with foot pedals and a propeller... should I be looking for one that already has that or is it something that you customize to any yak?

thanks in advance (hope i put this in the right place)

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/05/14 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: dandeeks
New to this.. so this thread is great.

QUESTION: If I want a kayak with foot pedals and a propeller... should I be looking for one that already has that or is it something that you customize to any yak?

The kayaks with foot pedals and a propeller are the Native brand kayaks. The Mariner and Slayer propel, and I think they have an Ultimate with pedals also.
The others that have foot pedals, but have the Mirage drive (slightly different drive mechanism) are the Hobie kayaks.
But in answer to your question is yes, you have to look for one that already has that setup unless you build your own from scratch, (mirage drive sold seperately) as one member here has done, but that takes some skills to accomplish.
Actually the best place to ask questions is post a question as a "New Topic" since posting on this thread is not really a question and answer post, but mainly an informational "How To" thread. You'll generally get a faster response opening a new topic.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/05/14 12:32 PM

thx
Posted By: Texdan

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/06/14 12:41 PM

I have a 2012 or 13 Jackson Cuda 14 that's never been on the water, bought it from a kid that never used nor have I. It has the anchor trolley and rudder. It is blue. Can send pics if interested. $1200 (no tax). Located near Wylie.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/06/14 06:49 PM

you almost had me, but 14 is a little too long for me. live in a condo.
Posted By: Texdan

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/07/14 02:31 PM

dandeeks,
14's are much more stable than 12's and handle better. You can stand and fish from this one!
Posted By: RogerB

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/09/14 05:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXQEDiwyYc

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/10/14 10:02 PM

understood. And I would... If i didn't have this damm storage issue. Live in an apartment in dallas my friend.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/11/14 09:46 PM

CLICK HERE TO SEE 5 TIPS (PPF)

Posted By: HAWK84

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/08/14 04:07 PM

is there such a kayak under $1200 with pedals? trying to decide to go with electric trolling motor or pedal power???????

Any inputs????

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/27/14 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: taguirre1965
is there such a kayak under $1200 with pedals? trying to decide to go with electric trolling motor or pedal power???????

Any inputs????

U might Look for a used hobie outback or native slayer.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/27/14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: taguirre1965

Any inputs????

New? No. You'll have to go used to find a pedal driven kayak.
Posted By: HAWK84

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/27/14 09:53 PM

thanks for the input

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 09/14/14 09:43 PM

There is a lot of great information being shared on this thread - Every now and then I think we should remind potential Kayak Fishing Folks to.............

Demo if you can. Do your research but Demo! Other folks can give you great insight on what they think might work for you but YOU need to confirm their feedback by actually trying the boats.

ACK is having demo opportunities the middle of September, 2014 in the Houston and Austin areas and Mariner Sails is hosting an big Demo Day September 27th, 2014 in the North Texas area at Lake Lewisville. We'll have representatives from Hobie, Wilderness Systems, Legacy Paddlesports, NuCanoe, Santa Cruz and no telling who else. Mariner's Demo Day will run in harmony with a Heros on the Water outing too! Most shops offer demo opportunities year round, we do..... so - try before you buy if you can. When we demo boats, folks will often end up with a boat that isn't the one they thought they wanted. Go figure.....
Posted By: Fin Reaper

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 09/23/14 10:17 PM

I agree that there is no one kayak that has everything you want but the best way to find the one that fits you is to determine where you are going to fish the most and what you are going to fish for. Example if you want to live bait fish make sure your kayak has enough rear storage for your live well and make sure it has the ability to be rigged for that way of fishing. The most important thing to me is the seat, if you are planning to really fish out of your yak you want something that you can sit in for hours at a time and be comfortably. And final always demo before you buy, some kayaks look cool and seem great but don't paddle well of handle like you thought they would
Posted By: The Fish Hunter

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 12/30/14 07:25 AM

Waco [img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...598757481325354[/img]
Texas Fishing CLUB [img:center]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Waco-Texas-Fishing-CLUB/341736499363344?ref=ts&fref=ts[/img]
Posted By: FishSaint

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/01/15 08:34 PM

Does anyone have the link to the kayak chooser thingy? Saw it a while back, but I cant find it anywhere. I like the Moken 12' but there arent any dealers around that I know of. Any thoughts?....
Posted By: The Leadbetter Legend

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/21/15 08:08 PM

I started with a $229 Pelican and have upgraded to an $500 Ascend FS-10.
I really like it. Very stable. I also like Sit Ins. Wakes tend to break
over the front and I don't have to spend my fishing time "Sitting In Water"
like many have posted here on the TFF with SOT's. I think there are at least
(2) different types of kayak fisherman. The gadget guys ie graphs, glow in the
dark lights etc.. And then guys like me - PFD, lic, pliers, (2) 3600 plastic
boxes, and (2) rods. (I've got a lake boat for all that other stuff).

Main point: Buy what you can afford ... if it gets you into a kayak.
During Christmas shopping with my wife, she apologized to me (after 30 yrs of marriage).
We just got thru buying over $160 worth of stuff for the house to decorate
for Christmas. She said that she spends $39, $49 $69 worth of stuff many
times during the year. She noted that I just buy (1) major thing worth
$400-$700 each year. ie new graph, trolling mtr, kayak. Every 4 yrs or
so, we have a garage sale ... guess whose "stuff" we are selling ?
You get the point.

Follow the wisdom on TFF. Demo kayaks first. Look for good used kayaks.
Consider End of the Season Sales. I visited Mariner Sales in Dallas this
past November. $700-$900 would have bought a nice kayak.
Posted By: The Leadbetter Legend

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/08/15 03:59 PM

RE: Low priced Kayaks under $300.

If you are looking for a new kayak under $300, check
out Atwoods Farm & Ranch stores. They have sit ins &
sit on tops for about $269. They look to be better
equipped than Walmart's & Academy's for that price.
I checked their web site couldn't find a picture of
them. So check one of their stores.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/16/15 08:05 PM

While still a hit, this thread has become a lil outdated.
After kickin it around, i believe it comes down to this.
Delete & start over or just whittle it down to 1 pg or so & maybe freshen it up a bit.
Needs to b something that most would b willing to dig into.
Editing has begun.

Just have 1 word for those that have been contributing wink thanks

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/16/15 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fish ZoMbiE
Some General Rules:

1. Paddle or Peddle (tryout) as many as you can before you make your purchase.
2. For BEST performance & SAFETY, pay attention to weight capacity ratings.
4. The Classifieds section above, Craigslist & Kayak Shop "Demos" can b a good source to pick up lightly used yak on the cheap.
5. Start a thread asking what others have experienced with: EXAMPLE: Pelican 116,Ocean Scrambler XT, Hobie PA, Wilderness Ride.
6. See what the reviews are on your choice click-> YakAngler.com or Paddling.net

* Some shops offer Forum Members 10%-15% discounts!

>>>Fastforward to 1 min.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/20/15 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Neumie

7. Go fishing several times before you start attaching accessories.
8. Consider how you're going to store/transport, longer kayaks are a little more difficult than shorter kayaks.
9. Generally speaking, longer kayaks are quicker/less maneuverable, shorter kayaks are more maneuverable/not the best for longer distances, wider kayaks are more stable/slower on the water, narrower kayaks are less stable/quicker on the water. So find your equilibrium.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/20/15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by bert
To expand on #3, make sure you budget for this as well

10. Go to retailers web sites and look for users reviews on kayaks don't just trust the pro reviews
11. Compare yak strengths to your desired activity, if you are creek fishing, a 15' kayak designed to go offshore is probably not going to suit your needs
12. (AFTER PURCHASE) If you're new to the sport we suggest u take someone who is experienced along with you or take a paddling class rather than putting yourself at risk

Edited -Z

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/20/15 11:23 PM

Demo, demo, demo...

Originally Posted By: spiny norman
Before you buy, think long and hard about where you will use it most. This is where those trade offs are made. EXAMPLE: My first yak was an OK Scrambler. Not a bad yak for a starter, but I quickly realized that it was not best suited for what I'm doing. Paddling bigger distances over coastal flats and big Texas lakes.

Edited -Z

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/20/15 11:57 PM

14. Kayaks w/ more pronounced or curved up bows (Rockers) allow you to rider the waves higher (dryer, faster) in chop & surf.
[Linked Image]
15. Overnighters: Larger hatches allow you to stow & grab LARGER items below deck easier.
[Linked Image]
16. If you plan on taking a lot of gear, look for kayaks with larger cargo areas (behind the seat)
17. As well as length, a streamlined bottom means less paddling & more gliding through the water & better tracking.
18. Some yaks are designed to install sonar/transducers below the hull in direct contact with the water. Others like the Feel free Lure & Ride 11.5 have removable thru sonar pods. fastforward to 50sec

19. More round & flatter bottoms are typically easier to turn. Example: White water kayaks & paddle boards
20. High sides (gunnels) generally = a drier ride. As do elevated multi position seats.
[Linked Image]
21. Lower gunnels & lower seating means you'll catch less wind, will also allow to sit side saddle but generally = a wetter ride.

Edited -Z
Posted By: Sharkinator

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/25/15 05:28 PM

22. Drainage - If you plan to use your yak in the surf or in rough conditions be sure it is designed with enough scuppers to drain quickly. My first yak only had one in front and one in back. It took forever to drain. Paddling a yak half full of water is not fun!
Posted By: Redfisher27

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/02/15 03:59 PM

watch 30 miles out
Posted By: spazm09

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/10/15 02:02 PM

While still a hit, this thread has become a lil outdated.
After kickin it around, i believe it comes down to this.
Delete & start over or just whittle it down to 1 pg or so & maybe freshen it up a bit.
Needs to b something that most would b willing to dig into.
Editing has begun.

Just have 1 word for those that have been contributing wink thanks

I disagree because people who are new to kayaking can still find some of the old information helpful. I did.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/19/15 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell

I wished someone would have given me this advise when I first started out. I went to a big box store that sold me things that didn't fit me or the purpose that I was getting a kayak.

thumb

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/19/15 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: fishin_on_credit88
i was a a walmart a few weeks ago and these guys were about to buy their sink kayaks and go fishing... welll i spoke up and let them know that they were about to waste their hard earned cash on something they wont like and explained the basics of kayaks and why they need to shop around... the sales guy said thanks bc he didnt wanna have to get em down lol

thumb
Posted By: meangene1969

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/23/15 02:18 AM

I wish I would have read this a couple months ago
Posted By: Skeeter-Blue

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 08/07/15 12:53 AM

Consider buying it out of state and have it shipped, Save about $80.
Posted By: Alex M

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/12/16 04:08 PM

Great Thread
Posted By: NjTexan

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/24/16 11:25 AM

This thread is pretty interesting. Thanks to all the folks that contributed.
Posted By: matt79

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/20/16 02:36 PM

What is a good kayak that would be suitable for lakes and calm rivers, but also would be able to take beyond the breakers?
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/17/16 02:00 PM

What's your budget?
Posted By: M.york

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/27/16 03:05 AM

cool
Posted By: KiPoulsen

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/29/16 05:11 PM

Things To Ask Yourself Before Looking At Kayaks
1) Where are you going to be fishing?
2) What's your experience level?
3) What species are you going to be fishing for and how are you going to fish?
4) How much gear or how many rods will you be bringing on the water?
5) Are you going to trailer the boat, put it in a truck bed or car top it?
6) How do you want to propel the boat, paddle, pedal, motor or sail?
7) How much do you want to spend?
Posted By: M.york

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/18/16 03:26 PM

smile
Posted By: Patrickmo

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 12/12/16 05:09 PM

I think the first thing should be figuring out where you want to use it and what type of conditions: fast moving river, out in sea; is it rocky, weedy?

Then, start with kayak type. Usually and most likely on-top for fishing purposes.

Then go get some basic recommendations for width and length of kayak based on where you want to use it and in what conditions.

Also do not forget to factor in weight and overall size when transporting kayak. People somehow often times miss the transportation aspect...

There are also finer aspects like materials: fiberglass is usual way to go, but if cheap then plastic ( https://outdoorempire.com/7-best-angling-kayaks-reviewed/ )

Then, basically go to any kayak shop online narrow selection down with your chosen features. See models and start Googling them and searching for reviews & opinions based on what you can afford.

Following these steps should get you a nice kayak!
Posted By: Bucketlist

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/27/17 01:32 PM

Ok...your going to laugh. Especially you pros and kayak salesmen. I spent most of my years owning a fish and ski or jet boat of some kind so I have been around water and fished in lots of different conditions. We are now in the Motorhome era of our lives, retired and traveling around the country. Every chance we get we stay at a lake for a few days and do some fishing. I purchased an inflatable kayak, a Challanger 2 seater. I can give the wife a ride or have added space and capacity when she wants to stay warm and dry. The Kayak will roll up in a bag and store in the basement when not in use. So far it has been wet a few times, done a fair job of getting us off of the bank and around the beds. I'll agree that a solid boat with SOT would be better but I don't want to pull a trailer. This is most likely the first step before a better boat but for now it works.
Posted By: Megan Ann

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/01/17 07:23 AM

This is the information I was looking for. Thanks so much!
Posted By: kayacker

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/23/17 05:03 PM

I did look around for three months before I made my decision. The length, width, and of course the price was a big factor with me, since I wanted a single person Yak. My first and only Kayak is an Ocean, 13-9, 28" wide, with a built in MinnKota saltwater trolling motor, I bought two years ago. I've only fished West Bay and East Bay in it, and I love it. I'm 5-10, 200 lbs, and I've been in it for 5-6 hours straight fishing, and have stayed comfortable. I've made it more user friendly to where I don't have to reach back for anything. I've caught some nice Reds that pulled me around a little, and some huge Sheepheads that pulled me around a lot. My buddies laughed at me when I told them I bought one with a troll motor. That is until one day when the wind kicked up out of the south, while we were heading back and I pulled them back with my yak. They don't laugh about it anymore. As long as someone goes with me, I don't have a problem loading or unloading it on or off my trailer. The main weight problem is the battery. I carry it separately, but since I only move it twice, it's not that big of a deal. I like the fact I can get into some real shallow areas, especially when I can see fins popping up out of the water. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

flag
Posted By: TackleXpert

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 06/14/17 02:47 PM

Nice Yak!!!
What kind of range or time are you getting out of the battery ?
Posted By: Woolly

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/07/17 04:39 PM

I don't think you are wrong at all, especially for what you want to use it for. My favorite kayak to ever own or paddle is my Jackson Kilroy. I can store four 9' fly rods, spinners, or bait casters fully protected in the rod tubes beneath the gunwales.

It is light, stable, maneuverable, and realatively fast. I fish inshore saltwater and mostly transport this kayak to the fishing areas on a mother ship. Easy for me to get on and off the boat. Easy to drag over sandbars, etc. and just tons of features for the fisherman.

I also have a Perception Pro 12 (sit on top). I good fishing kayak as well but I prefer the Kilroy for the Texas Coastal bays. I would not want to take either one of then off shore or use in rough water.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/25/17 06:21 PM

Nice list for beginners

https://1source.basspro.com/index.php/co...k-fishing-ready
Posted By: Brad R

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 09/29/17 12:58 PM

My thoughts on the four most important criteria, not to include price or proximity to service and sales availability:

1) Do you stay seated or do you want or need to stand and fish?

2) Paddle or pedal preference?

3) Transporting the vessel?

4) Where do you fish?

The criteria I eliminated up above, like price, are important, no doubt, but if you can answer these four questions, you will eliminate a huge proportion of the kayaks out there from consideration.

So, just for example, if you really want to stand and fish, there are just a few kayak platforms that really allow this with relative ease. Sure, lots can be stood in but without enough confidence to do it casually.

And, for paddle versus pedal, I have actually changed my thinking here a lot. A pedal kayak requires more maintenance, it generally requires a heavier hull to support it and it generally has issues with certain fishing characteristics: really skinny water and weeds come to mind.

For the third, you have a small car, no truck and don't want to trailer a kayak. You really eliminate a lot of vessels with this issue.

And, the fourth is a big deal. You can get a "jack of all trades, master of none" kayak that is pretty good on rivers and lakes, for example. If you plan to kayak fish from a single vessel, you may want one like this. But, if a large majority of your time is on one sort of body of water, you can focus attributes specific to it.

A Hobie PA 14 is a very fine kayak, one you can stand in effortlessly. But, you can rule it out most likely if you plan to car top it. I use this as an example of how one criterion might limit another. So, if one needs a light kayak to stand in and getting to the lake or river is an issue, a Diablo model might work.

Endless things to think about. Let me warn you, too, that regardless of how much you test a kayak at a demo, your idea of your "ideal" kayak will likely change over time. Mine sure did!

Brad
Posted By: charleswilbourn

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 10/19/17 06:41 AM

You can choose it many ways at first go to the market and keep some information which is best fishing kayak in the market then ask experts what kind of kayaks they use for fishing. See peoples reviews about kayak which is best. Then you can choose what's kind of kayak do you need for fishing. Because experts are always used to fishing kayak, fishing it's there profession. Otherwise, you can search it on google I hope you can choose your best fishing kayak.

Thank You
Posted By: fshng84

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 10/20/17 12:26 AM

May be of interest to some in the market for a kayak... Tips on Buying a Kayak for Fishing. Key take away... buy a kayak that you will use.
Posted By: viera

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/17/18 06:07 PM

Here are few points to consider before making an purchase -

1. Type of kayak - there are many different types of kayak available in the market like sit-on-top. inflatable kayak etc.
2. Type of water - what kind of water boy are you gonna use that kayak for?
3. Material - thoroughly research the kind of material used for making that kayak. Consider finding the properties of that material using google.
4. Warranty - Is your kayak back by any manufacturer warranty.
5. Accessory - what accessories are included with the kayak?
6. Storage - Does your kayak have enough space?
Posted By: RangerRong

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/13/18 01:27 AM

mariner sails demo day , april 21,2018 10:00 to 3:00pm Scott's Landing GrapeVine Lake !!!!!!!!
Posted By: Schins

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/13/18 01:57 AM

took awhile, but I read the whole thread.
I've got into kayak fishing only in the past couple months and I've already made mistakes on what I've bought.

I thought I wanted a sit-in to stay dry, but after learning of scupper plugs I went for a sit-on-top. Bought a new Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 for several reasons...it was clearanced, it was longer for speed and tracking, it wasn't super heavy, it looked good, it was only 28" wide....which I figured added to its speed and ease of paddling.

Took it out for the first time, and it did indeed paddle nice. I stayed dry in it. I thought great....I made the right choice.

Then I tried to turn backwards to get something out of the rear cargo area and felt like it was about to flip. Went to lean forward to get something from the front end, and it felt squrrely again. So I felt like I was basically locked in place. Not good.

It's for sale, and I'm going with something wider. The speed will suffer, but I need more stability.

Always a trade-off with kayaks. I'm sure by next Fall I'll be buying something else due to lessons learned.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/13/18 02:29 AM

take that prowler onto the lake, shallow, no rods or equipment... then turn and sit sideways on it. get used to the feel. My tarpon is not much wider.
I know a Guy that takes his prowler out in the Gulf..

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/13/18 03:33 AM

It felt stable until trying to reach forward and back.

Are you saying I should be able to and it won't spit me off?
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/13/18 08:15 PM

all i know is...you will probably always feel locked in, in any yak.
I'd keep that yak as a second yak smile

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/13/18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Schins
It felt stable until trying to reach forward and back.

Are you saying I should be able to and it won't spit me off?

Its all about learning the do and don'ts of kayak fishing in the particular kayak you are in. Years ago 28 inch beamed kayaks were pretty much standard for folks starting out or experienced in the saltwater. Knowing which technique to use to get stuff from behind you and the conditions you are in are only learned from experience. Twisting and turning is not a technique I recommend using under any conditions. roflmao If I can't reach behind me and get something, I'll turn side saddle where I can reach sideways to get it either out of the stern or nearer bow of kayak.

I've been following Jim for over 15 years and here are a few tips for those starting out that want to learn from one of the best.

https://gameon2.wordpress.com/2010/02/01...d-in-the-sport/

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/17/18 02:21 AM

thanks, i’ll check that out

it doesnt help that the water temp for experimenting is not favorable lol. Last time I was in the Prowler WT was about 37

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 04/17/18 02:56 AM

Believe me, I've tried the twisting and turning myself. roflmao
Posted By: SergiofromFL

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/16/18 05:01 PM

The best fishing kayak will be the kayak you will use on regular basis. Consider your needs first, where you will be fishing, what type of gear you are going to use, how tall are you (smaller kayaks may not be comfortable for you), will you be going along, etc. There are plenty of great kayaks under $1k on the market today. best fishing kayak
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/08/18 05:11 PM

How about the Jackson Kilroy???? Feedback????? Thanks
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 07/19/18 10:05 PM

bouncy

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/31/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by bbexotics
How about the Jackson Kilroy???? Feedback????? Thanks

Any of the major kayak manufacturers are going to make good kayaks. When you ask about a specific model you are asking people to read your mind. The only way to get the kayak that is right for “you” is to demo it.
I’ve seen many people that absolutely love a certain kayak model. And then others that hate the same model. Only you can sit in a kayak and decide if it is the correct kayak for “you”.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/31/19 02:47 PM

Buying a kayak nowadays can be a little overwhelming when you see all the models out there, so it's best to try out a few before buying.
Early on there weren't that many to choose from, but now there is a ton of competition, and competition makes it a buyers market where you get a lot of options on entry level kayaks, that would have been found only on the more expensive kayaks just a few short years ago.
Lawn chair type seats, track rails and rod holders , and transducer wells to name a few.
Hull designs for speed and stability, as well as being able to stand and fish are where most of the market leans toward.
Seems everyone wants to get into the pedal drive game as well, where Hobie once owned the market.
Most kayak dealers either rent out kayaks so you can test them out, or you can go to their "DEMO" days when they schedule them usually a couple times a year.
Posted By: AggieAloha

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/02/19 01:51 AM

Hi everyone -

I'd like to get into kayak fishing and really appreciate this section of the forum. Took me a while to read through all of the threads and got some good tips. Thanks. It has been a while since this thread was started, so I'd like to refresh the topic since Kayak fishing has really grown since then. I know the first advice is to demo/try it out first, but as Jimbo stated, there are so many options and improvements - I'd really appreciate getting pointed in the right direction. We live near a lake (Ray Hubbard - near Dallas) with two access points to creeks/calm waters. Primarily focused on Bass/crappie fishing. Prefer a SOT with stand up capabilities - hi/lo seats are nice (but also open to DIY seat mod). Been looking at the Ozark Trail Angler Pro 12 (aka sun dolphin boss 12 ss), lifetime yukon 116, Emotion Stealth Pro, Tamarack 100/120, and Stealth 11.

I'm 5'8" 165 lb - fairly in shape and have launch ramps so can deal with hauling 80lb wt short distance. My budget is $500 but less is good. I have a $300 bass pro/cabelas gift card from christmas that puts the Ascend 12T in the mix too. My question is 1) anyone have experience with these/gone through the same comparison and what are your thoughts? 2) If all of these are considered entry 'yaks does it make more sense to go cheap with the tamarack (currently <$300 at walmart.com) or is the extra $200 worth a nice chair and longer length? My local CL search didn't turn up any potential used mid/higher end kayaks and I've looked at the local demos that don't come in the price range. TIA for any insight - would love to hear long-term budget kayak users. Once I narrow down the list, I'll try to find a way to borrow/rent the models to try out. My brother's ranger is in the shop and I'm ready to hit the spawn beds.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/02/19 03:15 AM

Two things probably not on the list which to me have a large impact are weight and comfort.
If you can not comfortably put the kayak on your vehicle or trailer keep looking.
Having started using my sons kayak with molded in seat and snap in seat back I soon realized the importance of a nice seat. After a couple hours I would get to the point I was doing anything to relieve the pain in my back and finally having to end the day.
In my current kayak I can be out for 7+ hours and have no issues.
If your intended kayak fails either of these tests, it will make you not want to use it, keep looking.

Also you need time on the water to determine what is most important to you and your style of fishing.

Also, if you can wait for labor day sales you can save some money.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/02/19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by AggieAloha
Hi everyone -

I'd like to get into kayak fishing and really appreciate this section of the forum. Took me a while to read through all of the threads and got some good tips. Thanks. It has been a while since this thread was started, so I'd like to refresh the topic since Kayak fishing has really grown since then. I know the first advice is to demo/try it out first, but as Jimbo stated, there are so many options and improvements - I'd really appreciate getting pointed in the right direction. We live near a lake (Ray Hubbard - near Dallas) with two access points to creeks/calm waters. Primarily focused on Bass/crappie fishing. Prefer a SOT with stand up capabilities - hi/lo seats are nice (but also open to DIY seat mod). Been looking at the Ozark Trail Angler Pro 12 (aka sun dolphin boss 12 ss), lifetime yukon 116, Emotion Stealth Pro, Tamarack 100/120, and Stealth 11.

I'm 5'8" 165 lb - fairly in shape and have launch ramps so can deal with hauling 80lb wt short distance. My budget is $500 but less is good. I have a $300 bass pro/cabelas gift card from christmas that puts the Ascend 12T in the mix too. My question is 1) anyone have experience with these/gone through the same comparison and what are your thoughts? 2) If all of these are considered entry 'yaks does it make more sense to go cheap with the tamarack (currently <$300 at walmart.com) or is the extra $200 worth a nice chair and longer length? My local CL search didn't turn up any potential used mid/higher end kayaks and I've looked at the local demos that don't come in the price range. TIA for any insight - would love to hear long-term budget kayak users. Once I narrow down the list, I'll try to find a way to borrow/rent the models to try out. My brother's ranger is in the shop and I'm ready to hit the spawn beds.

I would recommend finding a used Perception Pescador 12 in good condition. These are very well built kayaks that track well, easy to paddle and aren't too heavy. Standing would take some practice but definitely do able. In time if you found the seat wasn't that comfortable you can buy an after market seat that with better comfort for about $150. I've seen these kayaks listed for $400 and they may even take a little less but that's what I would be prepared to pay for a good used one.

I've seen a lot of folks spend $500-$600 on a new kayak then figure out they don't like it and lose hundreds of dollars selling it just to buy a more expensive better kayak. It happened to me.
Posted By: Jared James

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 05/07/19 09:26 AM

Some General Rules:
1. Paddle as many as you can before you make your purchase.
2. For best performance & safety, pay attention to weight capacity ratings.
4. Craigslist & Kayak Shop "Demos" are a good source to pick up used yaks at a good price.
5. Ask what other have experienced with: EXAMPLE: Pelican 116,Ocean Scrambler XT, etc. etc.
6. See what the reviews are on your choices click-> Buzzillions.com

* Some shops offer Forum members a 10%-20% discounts!

Indeed! I agree! testing a kayak before purchasing is something crucial everyone should do, is something missing when purchasing online, I remember when I first bought my Vibe Ghost 110 I kinda irritate the shopkeeper asking every question I had, though it kinda fun experience... smile
Posted By: JigumMitch

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 03/23/22 04:10 AM

I don't have the largest budget, but I was looking at the HOODOO Tempest 120P Pedal Drive Kayak. I am relatively new to kayaking, but the reviews on this one are really good. I plan on doing some salt marsh fishing and hitting the creeks for crappie. Not sure I want to try suspend fishing for big cats on it though. Has anyone had any experience with this particular kayak? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mitch
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak - 02/19/23 03:19 PM

Good Info Fish Zombie. Power boaters will kill you. With my former Sea Eagle boat I have had idiots run circles around me trying to swamp me, big Yachts kick up unreal wakes that would swamp almost anything and just general "bassholes" blasting off after idling through the no wake zone at a bridge kicking up a huge wake.

The sea eagle did keep me high and dry but I am done with anything inflatable Very tired of fixing leaks at the boat ramp when I would rather be fishing.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum