Texas Fishing Forum

Purtis Creek state Park

Posted By: Daveg99

Purtis Creek state Park - 04/16/10 03:47 PM

Anyone ever fish there? Thinking about going this weekend and camping out if it isnt raining. It looks like a nice lake. The whole lake is a no wake zone too which is nice. And you have to release every bass you catch. This is some info I found on it.

http://dallasoutdoors.com/site/index.php/adventure/4-places/25-purtis-creek.html

Posted By: Carver

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/16/10 05:39 PM

Fishing it for a very long time. It will downright spoil you.

The bass are fat and the crappie and catfish are tasty.

This time of year you should be able to drop a minnow near the legs of either pier and make contact with a crappie or two. good all day, but night is fun too.

Wish I was going. Post some pics

Have a good trip, Phill

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/16/10 06:18 PM

Do they sell live bait at the store at the park. I read that its a well equipped shop
Posted By: Judge Smails

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/16/10 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Daveg99
Do they sell live bait at the store at the park. I read that its a well equipped shop

They actually have a bait shop right by the boat launch.Pretty cool to have right by the water.
Posted By: bradtex

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 12:47 AM

What type of lures do you recommend? I've heard there's a lot of grass in the lake.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 12:52 AM

Good luck, Dave. If the rain is out of control up here, I may join you guys.
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 12:53 AM

Was there three weeks ago... I've been there probably 7-8 times in the last year or so... I think for lake fishing out of a yak it's the best place in north texas... In march a kayaker got a sharelunker there... I've had my best luck working the north/west shoreline where the primitive campsites are to the backside of the island with weightless, weedless plastics (wacky rigged senkos/trick worms and t rigged brush hogs)... LOTS of flooded timber so cranks and spinners can be frustrating...

People who know the lake well will tell you that it used to be a lot better before they put in the grass carp to control the hydrilla and that the c and r policy has reduced the size of the average bass, but the fish are still there... I've yet to catch any real big ones but I've caught numbers and seen a few monsters along that shoreline that I couldn't get to bite...

I agree with Carver, btw. The crappie fishing under the lights at the dock across from the boat ramp at night can be awesome... Incidentally, when I was there last the bait shop was closed with a for sale sign on it so you might call ahead to see if it's up and running... It was after seven pm when I tried so I don't know if it was a one time deal or permanent and I forgot to ask anyone about it... You might stop at the bait shop at the 175 CC bridge and get them beforehand if that's the case. I tried jigs that night and watched everyone around me slaying them with minnows...

All that said, I have been skunked there a couple times, but I really didn't know what the heck I was doing at that point, and even then I've never been disappointed in going there since it's such a great place to paddle. I've never been there when there were more than 10 or 12 pbs on it and there are no jet skiers. That in itself makes it worth the trip.

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: B_Rod
Good luck, Dave. If the rain is out of control up here, I may join you guys.

well its a 10 percent less chance of rain down there. I still might go even if its raining. I have a water proof jacket and waders. Fishing is good in the rain.
Posted By: dbraune

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 01:32 AM

If there is little wind,rent a paddle boat,only $25.00.was there a couple of weeks ago,look up my post. i will be trying it monday again.good luck.

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 08:28 PM

not going tonight. my friend cant go
Posted By: Knot at work

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 09:41 PM

Purtis Creek is the Mini Lake Fork..so I hear!

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Knot at work
Purtis Creek is the Mini Lake Fork..so I hear!

yeah it is. Wish I could go but chimneyking1 promised someone he would help them with their deck tomorrow so its a no go. I think its going to be raining anyway. Maybe Ill be out there in a couple weeks.
Posted By: FlyFsGrl

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/17/10 11:41 PM

Love fishing there--bluegill, crappie, bass abound. This year the DFF's outing there was cancelled due to bad weather, but last year's was a blast.

Posted By: dbraune

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 04/18/10 01:28 AM

Next time you want to head out,let me know,me and my wife are trying to master that lake..dont have to worry about getting hit at 60 mph's

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/07/10 03:55 AM

Im going this weekend. Leaving Saturday morning early and camping out that night

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/07/10 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Judge Smails
Originally Posted By: Daveg99

They actually have a bait shop right by the boat launch.Pretty cool to have right by the water.

I talked to the people at the park and they said the guy that ran the store passed away and they have not opened the store yet. But they plan on getting someone to run it.

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/07/10 10:56 PM

Hey DaveG,

As you're crossing the 175 bridge over Cedar Creek there's a bait shop. It's called 'The Store' I think. The park is only about 10-15 miles further down the road. I think it's worth it for the night crappie bite to have some minnows.

Good luck. I'd join you but the wife is going outta town tonight and gets back late tomorrow. Gotta take care of the 2 yr old and then I just don't see her ideal Mother's Day involving me fishing on Sunday.

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/09/10 05:34 PM

Just got back. We woke up this morning and packed up and left. Too much wind this weekend. Yesterday evening was OK. There were a few of us and we caught a few Large Mouths, a couple perch, and a turtle. Yesterday there were white caps on the lake from the wind. Today was the same. The campground was really nice. We stayed at the primitive campground area and paddle across to it with our gear. We stayed on "L" but we should have picked "B" or "C" because they are much closer to the ramp. We didnt know this though. The raccoons were very daring there. They would come up to out camp even when we had a fire going. Had to chase them a away a few times. Overall it was a good trip. The water was rough and there was a lot of wind but we did manage to catch a few bass. Ill definitely go again. Here are some pictures....

Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/09/10 05:36 PM

nice little lake. thought since it is a CnR lake we'd clean up. didnt catch much but had a great time. pretty place!

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/09/10 07:17 PM

Sucks about the wind... Even though it's a small lake, a solid north or south wind can really make things tough there... Still, by the looks of it you had a lot better time than I did this weekend.

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/09/10 07:24 PM

We had a great time. Even though the water wasnt nice we had a good time sitting around the fire drinking our favorite adult beverages.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/09/10 09:28 PM

Looks like fun. I had one of those inflatable mattresses, used it a couple of times, it sprung a leak, tried to patch it, never could get it to quit leaking after that.

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/09/10 11:03 PM

my last one I had for 3 years. It started leaking and bought a new one for $10 at academy
Posted By: Fishin4BassOnly

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/10/10 02:40 AM

I am headed to Purtis this coming Friday morning to stay through the weekend. Hopefully the wind and rain will stay away. Any pointers as to where you caught your LMB?

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 05/10/10 03:03 AM

we were fishing the timber filled coves near the primitave camping area. Im pretty sure the fish are everywhere in that lake though. As I was paddling the shallows in about 1-2 feet of water I spooked several really large fish that I saw. I also saw a few beavers out on the lake.
Posted By: DaBankFishamen

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 02/02/12 01:19 AM

Purtis Creek!!

Posted By: Sethmac

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 02/02/12 02:08 AM

Can't wait to go camping here and fish from the kayak. The burn ban this year shut our plans down and the baby will be here soon...how old does a baby need to be to take camping? smile

Posted By: LuvPondFishing

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 02/02/12 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Sethmac
Can't wait to go camping here and fish from the kayak. The burn ban this year shut our plans down and the baby will be here soon...how old does a baby need to be to take camping? smile

Man ... I have been camping in state parks a couple of times and had people near me with babies couldn't have been over 5 or 6 months old if that. But after observing those experiences from a nearby campsite, for the sake of your sanity and general regard for your "neighbors", I should would recommend agains that.

Took my granddaughters on their first overnight camping trip summer before last. they were 3 and 5 at the time. Everyone had a good time ... All was good except the heat at night made it hard to sleep and at that age we learned one night is about all you should expect to enjoy. We had planned on this being a 2-night outing, but changed our plans "on the fly" to a one nighter. Definitely want to make sure its an enjoyable experience and last thing you want is to "burn them out" and never want to "do that again".

Posted By: Sethmac

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 02/02/12 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: LuvPondFishing
Originally Posted By: Sethmac

Man ... I have been camping in state parks a couple of times and had people near me with babies couldn't have been over 5 or 6 months old if that. But after observing those experiences from a nearby campsite, for the sake of your sanity and general regard for your "neighbors", I should would recommend agains that.

Took my granddaughters on their first overnight camping trip summer before last. they were 3 and 5 at the time. Everyone had a good time ... All was good except the heat at night made it hard to sleep and at that age we learned one night is about all you should expect to enjoy. We had planned on this being a 2-night outing, but changed our plans "on the fly" to a one nighter. Definitely want to make sure its an enjoyable experience and last thing you want is to "burn them out" and never want to "do that again".

Yeah I was figuring 3 or 4 would be the first feasible time...:)

Posted By: JBlythe

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 10/27/12 04:56 PM

I'm new to this lake, I'm looking for some good bass or cat spots. I'm fully equipped for both, just not too sure where to go. I'm camping in the primitive grounds for the weekend but I'm open to other areas of the park.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 10/27/12 05:44 PM

I'd start by fishing the christmas tree reefs they built off of either pier.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 10/27/12 06:17 PM

For bass I would try any isolated timber in the northern half, especially the row of trees running east and west just north of the island.
Also the north east corner of the island out to the first stand of timber.
Keep your eye open and your camera and you should be able to get a photo of one of the Bald Eagles that live there.
Also if have any food with you the racoons may run you nuts and they can darn near pick a lock. They have also been known to tear into a tent for a snack!
Good Luck!
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 10/27/12 10:56 PM

If you are facing the dam to your left from the island is a nice cove that the bass fishing is excellent in also the tree line that runs across the lake behind the island is good
Posted By: pelican

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 10/29/12 11:53 PM

How did your trip to Purtis go?
Posted By: cody.sandhoff

Re: Purtis Creek state Park - 07/19/17 02:22 AM

Any new updates?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum