Texas Fishing Forum

side imaging transducer mounting

Posted By: Mark Ray

side imaging transducer mounting - 06/27/18 01:49 AM

what did you do?
Posted By: DrewTX

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/27/18 12:06 PM

Really depends on the kayak. I have a Predator PDL and it has two options. The in hull mount in front of the pedal system, which won't work with side scan, or on the stern it has two brass inserts for a humminbird mount between the hull and rudder. I mounted mine there. It is above the bottom of the hull but has unobstructed view for the side scan. It works really well. Some people also mount an arm on the side of their kayak so they can swing the transducer over the side and get the transducer below the hull line.

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/27/18 12:16 PM

I am putting it on a Cobra Fish n Dive. I am having trouble finding a place where it will work properly and still be protected from getting knocked off. I have never not had a transducer in the hull before.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/27/18 02:34 PM

Ram transducer arm mount. It will swing out of the way and not get knocked off. You have to find to best location on your yak. I've mounted mine on small black cutting board along with my FF. Then I mount that assembly to a gear track. Easier to remove them as an assembly for storing and transport. I'm right handed ( cast right) so they are mounted on my left front just out of paddle swing. I can transfer the assembly between several of my kayaks that way.

Sorry no pictures with me to post of it.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/27/18 04:13 PM

I was researching this for my friend this morning:

RAM Transducer Arm Mount with 18" Rigid Aluminum Rod and Open Single Socket

Scotty Transducer Arm Mount

You can also search for videos on making your own from 3/4" square aluminum tubing.

Also came across this
DIY Kayak Track Mounted Fish Finder PVC Transducer Arm
today.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/27/18 04:19 PM

I use a Mad Frog transducer mount, easier to swing up out of the water and less drag than the RAM mount I originally bought. Your problem is where to attach it, you may have to install a gear track.

Posted By: Searsay

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/27/18 08:51 PM

i used ram for a while - but recently switched kayaks and switched over to using
FishfinderMounts - Magnetic
It is not the cheapest option - but it fits my needs.

I attached the inside magnet to a cord and tie that off to my hatch - then place the magnet where-ever i please. holds on to my Lowrance Totalscan transducer w/o any issues.

That said the magnetic mount works well for me because i flip between two different yaks and a porte-boat - so the magnet makes it nice and easy to move from one to the other.

Other nice things for the magnet
1) can adjust position based on "type" of fishing you plan on doing
2) it is a "soft" but strong holder - you hit anything in the kayak and the magnets will "give" and prevent a lot of damage to your transducer unit... or if you hit hard enough they will just detach. I keep the transducer rigged to a paracord so that if that does happen the transducer cord doesn't take all the weight.

I have knocked it in both my kayak and my boat - not even a scratch to the transducer yet (though they were softer knocks). The magnets hold even up to 12-13mph in my boat off the transom - and i still get depth and decent DS.
Posted By: Pop751

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/28/18 04:08 PM

I have a Hobie PA12 and have my Garmin GT30 transducer mounted on the bottom with a Berley Pro cover from Mariner Sails to protect it. The side imaging works just fine through the cover.
Posted By: Clay34

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 06/30/18 02:39 PM

I haven't tried one of these yet, but the YakAttack Switchblade interests me. Here is something that I found quickly on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snoiu9kCj5o

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 08/30/18 09:50 PM

I went with the switchblade. I'll take some pics and update after i get a chance to try it out.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: side imaging transducer mounting - 08/31/18 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Ray
I went with the switchblade. I'll take some pics and update after i get a chance to try it out.

That’s the one I went with. Took it out today, worked great. Easy to secure for transport too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum