Texas Fishing Forum

2018 KBF National Championship winner takes home $100K to TEXAS!!!

Posted By: The Black Hammer

2018 KBF National Championship winner takes home $100K to TEXAS!!! - 03/28/18 02:23 AM

Man, what a crazy week!!! Had a blast hanging out with everyone! Fishing was as rough as i’ve ever seen. We fished in hail, snow, thunderstorms, and 20mph winds!!! I really only had 1 good day of pre-fishing, so decided to fish that spot for my first day. Only managed 3 small score-able fish day 1 using a craw squarebill, and with winds predicted at 20mph and rain the next day, i expected the worst and fished the same spot again for day 2. Well, the weather man was wrong because the wind didnt show, and neither did the fish. I was only able to finally get a bit on Kjscustomlures Ray-Ko, and score my only fish for day 2. Ended up with only 57” which placed me at 255th out of 752 anglers. It was tough, but i still had a blast. Proud to see the big check go to a Texas angler Dwayne Taff!!! Even more proud of Clint Dunbar for placing 10, Mark Pendergraf for being always willing to get into fun situations, Santos Zepeda, Raymond Lopez, Matthew Flett, Jeff White, Jeff Tyson, Jeff Isham, Matthew M Scotch, Guillermo González, Brandon Utley, Darren Williams, Billy Mastorio, Drew Pryor, Chris Shaddle, Chad Dagley, Dave Newman and many more of the Texas crew that i may have forgot, but man, you guys make me proud for showing up, and showing how awesome the brotherhood here is in Texas. Everyone of these guys are all great sticks. Also a huge congrats to Chad Hoover, Kristie Janeen Hoover, Joe Haubenreich, Nik Brown, and the rest of the Kayak Bass Fishing crew for making this years event as smooth as it was. It was no small feat, i am impressed. Dwayne Walley, good job to you to sir. And lastly i would like to give a huge thanks to Aris Tsamis & Mariner Sails without whom the dfw area kayak scene wouldn’t be where it is with out your support! And my personal sponsors Old Town Canoes & Kayaks, Smith, SuperNova Fishing Lights, and Bending Branches! Also a special thanks to my brother from anotha motha Roy Hurst Jr. @ KJ’s Customlures for always getting me what i need and supporting me in everything i do!!! Lets grind til next time boys!!! No rest for the wicked! #TexasProud #NTXKC2018

Posted By: Brad R

Re: 2018 KBF National Championship winner takes home $100K to TEXAS!!! - 03/28/18 11:31 AM

I saw the results! Very nice to see a local man win it, that, and so many Texans participate.

If I can "grab" the data, I'd like to see how many kayak anglers came from each state. Just a guess that Texas will have a very large number as will several other states where kayak fishing has become super popular.

Tough lake based on those conditions, saw Greg Blanchard's video of his Day 2, I think that was it, just 30 minutes of it. He and several others were catching bass but many under the 12" minimum.

On this day 2 coverage, Greg stayed in a protected area and fished along a long bank with rip rap. He mentioned that several people had gone out on day 1 and had flipped out in deep water. But, he went on to say that many were going to take the chance and go out on the main lake the second day.

I hope to read some more accounts of the action, what worked, where, etc. Always fun reading these experiences.

Brad
Posted By: The Black Hammer

Re: 2018 KBF National Championship winner takes home $100K to TEXAS!!! - 03/28/18 02:15 PM

Yes, it seems like everyone who did well on day 2 fished shallow wooded structure. I found them on rocks and rip rap on day 1, and day 2 they just didn't show up in that area. That's fishing I guess.
Posted By: kobeer

Re: 2018 KBF National Championship winner takes home $100K to TEXAS!!! - 03/28/18 07:29 PM

I will be at the Next one Duc!!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum