Texas Fishing Forum

PFD

Posted By: StuckIt

PFD - 02/23/18 02:50 PM

I am looking for a new life jacket. I have tried a bunch on and have never used an inflatable. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any that people have found works better for a kayaker?
Posted By: kobeer

Re: PFD - 02/23/18 04:20 PM

A/M 24 is what i use and it is very comfortable. dont really even notice its on.
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: PFD - 02/23/18 04:58 PM

I prefer the ones with the high back. I started off with a Magellan. I'm now using the NRS Chinook. I like it a lot.

https://www.nrs.com/product/40009.03/nrs-chinook-fishing-pfd
Posted By: yak dog

Re: PFD - 02/23/18 11:34 PM

This is the 2018 model , tons of space for stuff. I have one and love it they also come in red.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: PFD - 02/24/18 09:26 PM

Like h.craig, I started out with a cheap, POS pfd. I shopped online a long time, and finally, Austin Kayak ran a sale on the NRS Chinook, for $83 and I jumped on it. Couldn't be happier. I use all 7 front pockets every outing.

The Kokotat looks nice, too, but is way out of my budget.

I was at Roy's Boutique today in Corpus, and the only high-back flotation paddle-friendly pfd's I saw there were Astral brand, also nice but pricey.

Usually, you get what you pay for and not much more. Shop smart. IslandJim
Posted By: LDGary

Re: PFD - 02/24/18 11:05 PM

NRS Chinook
Posted By: Carver

Re: PFD - 02/25/18 05:21 AM

I prefer inflatables but they suffer from premature inflation on a regular basis ( I have had 3 inflate while in storage or transit ) unless you drop the coins for a hydrostatic inflation model. My current weapon of choice is a Mustang with MOLI webbing.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: PFD - 02/25/18 12:26 PM

I like to have the use of the pockets on my chest. But in the summer time I use a Inflatable because of the heat . I’ve found the nicer Mustang inflatables on sale at Academy in the winter for $100.
Posted By: Carver

Re: PFD - 02/25/18 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell
I like to have the use of the pockets on my chest. But in the summer time I use a Inflatable because of the heat . I’ve found the nicer Mustang inflatables on sale at Academy in the winter for $100.

The MOLI strpas are for attaching pockets for anything in the world. That is the strapping system that SWAT teams,military etc. use for attaching all the things they carry. I found out that magazine pouch fits a iPhone perfectly and all the MOLI accessories are in the gun dept. everywhere. My cordura phone pockets were $4.99 full price. I gto one for my Spot transmitter also.

I scored my Mustang on sale at Academy in December. along with a few gift cards it cost me personally less than a new cartrige for my older vests. I am going to have to clean my fishing shed out soon.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: PFD - 02/27/18 01:02 PM

I've been thinking for a long time about going with an inflatable myself.
I see a lot of kayakers using them, and I'm about to jump on the bandwagon.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: PFD - 02/27/18 02:25 PM

Just got this one from NRS
Extremely comfortable
I did make some modifications (reflector tape and iron on patches)

Re: PFD - 02/27/18 03:00 PM

Thank y'all for all the recommendations and help. I do like the NRS Chinook. Now I just have to wait for those high dollar suckers to go on sale.
Posted By: Warhawk

Re: PFD - 02/28/18 03:59 AM

I use a manual inflatable. They are harder to find, but they do make them. Academy had them on sale last year for $49, I went to three academy’s before I found one. Only way to go, easpecially in the summer when it gets hot.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: PFD - 03/01/18 04:03 AM

Stucklt: If you sign up with ACK for their newsletter, they send you an offer almost every month for a 15 or 20 per cent discount on one item, plus free shipping on orders over $39 bucks. You should sign up. TexasJim

Re: PFD - 03/01/18 03:11 PM

That's good to know. Thanks for that info.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: PFD - 03/01/18 06:24 PM

I have a very nice new Stohlquist kayak fishing PFD if you are interested for sale. $75. Let me know and I will send you some pics.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: PFD - 03/02/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: LDGary
NRS Chinook

Yup I just got one and I love it. You can forget you have it on. Got one as a gift for a buddy as well and he loves his. Check out the reviews on Amazon for it. Over 5k happy kayakers approve!

I am skeptical about the auto inflate deals. I have heard too many stories of them not working correctly. If I ever REALLY need my life jacket I cant take even a slight risk that it wont work as designed. But thats me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum