Texas Fishing Forum

Yegua Yesterday

Posted By: fishr3

Yegua Yesterday - 02/03/18 03:47 PM

I made the long paddle across the open lake from Nails Creek state park to upper Yegua creek yesterday. I had visions of a Viking ship crossing the open ocean in hopes of finding riches to plunder from a distant village. As my kayak bounced across each rolling wave I imagined Ride of the Valkaries playing in the background. I paddled on toward the dead tree. I was in the creek channel by 10:30 and had my first fish on by 10:40. A nice largemouth bass, but I was looking for crappie.

My next fish was a good keeper sized white bass that knocked the snot out of my jig. I continued on up the creek in search of that emerald green gem.

I paddled further upstream than ever before and wondered could this be Valhalla?

I had my doubts about finding crappie. I had caught nothing but bass up to this point and decided to troll a jig behind the kayak and head back downstream. Biggest white bass of the day was caught trolling a jig, through these previously uncharted waters.

I then proceeded to catch white bass, black bass, and lots of crappie from this pool, to my hearts content.

Made it back to the launch around 5:30 and would say it was an epic day to be on Yegua.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Yegua Yesterday - 02/03/18 03:57 PM

Fun stuff.
Posted By: craigfish

Re: Yegua Yesterday - 02/03/18 04:07 PM

nice
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Yegua Yesterday - 02/03/18 04:43 PM

Excellent stuff!
Posted By: doctorliver

Re: Yegua Yesterday - 02/03/18 05:10 PM

cool!
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Yegua Yesterday - 02/03/18 11:50 PM

Great day !
Posted By: yak dog

Re: Yegua Yesterday - 02/04/18 02:13 AM

Im from Rosenberg and mainly fish the coastal salt waters , I have been wanting to do more freshwater for a long time now. I have been looking all over google earth and that Yegua looks very nice also looked at the nails creek and it looks the same. I use to hit the crappie pretty hard when I was younger and Im really looking at going that way again . I like the calm creeks and channels vs the choppy bays thanks for the pics.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum