Texas Fishing Forum

Sabine river whitebass??

Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/03/18 06:32 AM

Anybody try the Sabine for whitebass? The run is just starting I hear. Never been. Any good put in points where I'm near the fish so I don't paddle far. Got a slow 10 footer. What lures good also?
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/04/18 09:25 PM

I've heard they are starting to catch some good ones...look up a place called River ridge...it's a private place. Launching there will put you right in the middle of some great water...also lots of nice sandbars to camp or eat lunch on.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/13/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
I've heard they are starting to catch some good ones...look up a place called River ridge...it's a private place. Launching there will put you right in the middle of some great water...also lots of nice sandbars to camp or eat lunch on.
what he said Jane at river Ridge is good people. Make sure you check the US GS water level gauge near Beckville half inch or rain anywhere east of to walk in the river is up to feet. It went up 9 feet after that little bit of drizzle last week! The first Sabine fish you catch will likely be the biggest Sandbass you’ve ever caught though

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/13/18 03:56 AM

That is right off of Jane’s sandbar at River Ridge
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/13/18 04:23 PM

I found River Ridge Fishing. Looks good but I only see pricing for guided service.

Can one pay something and use the location as a place to drop in? Maybe pay the daily camping fee?

Now that I look a bit closer, I see a $5 launch fee. That'd be great. I don't want a guide, just a place to get in and out, safe parking.

If anyone plans a trip out there with kayaks for a weekend during the white bass run, let me know!

Brad

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/13/18 04:25 PM

Oh! and I should have added for the question regarding what lures in the original post, this, from River Ridge folks:

"If you are fishing with Jane, bring your rod & reel spooled with 8 to 10 lb test line--road runners in chartreuse, chartreuse with red head, and white with red head. Any configuration works--crappie thunder, curly tail, maribou, bubble belly, etc. I use 1/4 oz unless I am fishing really light tackle, then I use 1/8 oz. Bring rain gear just in case--also waterproof footwear. When cold is predicted, dress warmly. Bring layers; it may be 30 in the morning and 70 by lunch. Most of the time we will take a boat ride a few miles. Gets pretty cold on the water."

Brad

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/13/18 07:33 PM

Yes launch fee no guide Is available. Also half ounce rattletraps work great just put a single hook on the back and cut the forward facing h is available. Also half ounce rattletraps work great just put a single hook on the back and cut the forward facing hook up the front trouble off.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/13/18 09:16 PM

Heads up that ramp at RR when i used it was not for the meak, and 4wd would be real nice .We caught them right there on both sides of the ramp last time we went. IF you go ,just look for the big corners where a sandbard extends out and beach the boat and fish all around it
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/13/18 09:41 PM

If you really want to have a blast, break out the fly rod. Small clousers are highly effective.

The Sabine white bass run is absolutely great fun on the fly...and while you are at it, break my Sabine water body fly rod record

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/14/18 12:35 AM

Somehow I think Meadowlark's record is . . . safe.

Hey! I tell you what would be a great kayaking trip, at least I think so: from River Ridge downstream to Yellow Dog Boat Launch. It would appear to be about 8 miles with all of the squiggles.

If someone had a really niced sized trailer for multiple kayaks, there'd be a bit of a drive to move around to the pick up point, 27 miles by car and 41 minutes.

Map below. Brad

Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/16/18 12:53 AM

Chandler at hwy 31 above Palestine is another
good spot for yaks and sandbass. It should turn on soon. Tried the other day. Only got 2 . 42 degrees didn't help any...

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/16/18 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass fro chop
Chandler at hwy 31 above Palestine is another
good spot for yaks and sandbass. It should turn on soon. Tried the other day. Only got 2 . 42 degrees didn't help any...

It is and only about 20 minutes from where I am on Lake Athens. There is a ramp for kayaks on the north side of 31. It will be HEAVILY fished from the banks. From a kayak one could float down toward the main lake and get away from the bank anglers.

It is considered a top spot for white bass!!!

Brad
Posted By: MamaTried-ATX

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/22/18 10:31 PM

Last year I put the nucanoe in at River Ridge an went upstream a couple bends to get away from the bank fisherman and caught a lot of fish. River Ridge really is right in the heart of it. You don't have to go far. Just work the sandbars with roadrunners until you find a hot spot. You can also launch at 2517 and get similar fishing. You will need about 6" to a foot of visibility anything less and the fishing gets tough.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Sabine river whitebass?? - 02/23/18 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: A draper
Last year I put the nucanoe in at River Ridge an went upstream a couple bends to get away from the bank fisherman and caught a lot of fish. River Ridge really is right in the heart of it. You don't have to go far. Just work the sandbars with roadrunners until you find a hot spot. You can also launch at 2517 and get similar fishing. You will need about 6" to a foot of visibility anything less and the fishing gets tough.
she's at 22' and heading for flood stage now... certainly gonna change the Dynamics a bit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum