Texas Fishing Forum

Launching from Bird Island Basin?

Posted By: baitchunker

Launching from Bird Island Basin? - 12/08/17 02:19 PM

Has anyone fished from/around Bird Island Basin near North Padre Island?
If so, any advice? Wanting to try it out. We usually fish Aransas and San Antonio bay, but we'll have an opportunity to fish that area in a few weeks.

Thanks
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Launching from Bird Island Basin? - 12/09/17 02:40 PM

I prefer fishing north of the boat ramp, but both directions can be good. Basically, I would just setup and drift from the sand drop off into the islands concentrating on casting to pot holes.

If the water is clean and it's overcast toss pink.

Winter time I throw longer/bigger soft plastics than other times of the year such as Norton Sand Shads vs their Bull Minnow. Suspending lures such as Corky's and Mirrodines also get added to my arsenal.
Posted By: baitchunker

Re: Launching from Bird Island Basin? - 12/11/17 10:31 PM

Thanks for the information Neumie. Is there an actual boat launch or just an area to launch kayaks? You're describing exactly what had in mind, but looking for second opinions since I've never been there.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Launching from Bird Island Basin? - 12/12/17 12:18 AM

There is a ramp
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Launching from Bird Island Basin? - 12/12/17 12:18 AM

There is a ramp
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Launching from Bird Island Basin? - 12/12/17 01:53 AM

You can launch from either the boat ramp or the wind surfer's shack, depending on which direction you want to paddle. If launching at the ramp and you're not using a trailer you can only park in the two non-trailer slots. If you park in a spot designated for a truck & trailer (practically all of them by the ramp) then you'll receive a ticket. Vice Versa, trailers are not permitted by the wind surfer's shack.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum