Texas Fishing Forum

Where to go??

Posted By: iVegotGREYS

Where to go?? - 12/05/17 05:38 AM

Fairly new to Kayaking well I have been paddling around smaller bodies of water for a few months now and want to try some new, larger bodies of water. Conroe is fairly close to me but it seems that water is always rough and far too many recreational boaters out there. So I was wanting to know of some places that have somewhere to put the kayak in as well as have an opportunity to catch some solid fish(not picky but I usually target LMB, wypers, or crappie) and not get ran over in the process. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Where to go?? - 12/05/17 02:40 PM

I'm not familiar with any of the lakes near you but just looking around this would be one of the first places I would try if I lived in your area. Far north end of Conroe, small parking lot so you shouldn't have too many folks there, plenty of places to hide from the wind, a small bridge nearby and a bigger one a couple of miles further south. Should be some great fishing somewhere within paddling distance if you spend some time looking around. I would head south from the launch.

https://goo.gl/maps/vPpvDPA3FF72

Lake Sommerville looks great too!
https://goo.gl/maps/4wRryVYNBF22
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Where to go?? - 12/05/17 03:05 PM

Yeah +1 on Sommerville for Kayak action! Those guys have an annual thing on that lake where they invite others to come and join them in fishing the Yeagua & Nails Creeks I beleive.Check Willaim Tedricks "Fish Tales" on youtube videos
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Where to go?? - 12/05/17 05:05 PM

also, head up IH45 and Huntsville State Park has Lake Raven that is also a great place to kayak.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Where to go?? - 12/05/17 05:48 PM

Raven up in Huntsville SP is fairly close; Stow A Way Marina on Calvary Rd. on the north end of Conroe has a large, fairly sheltered arm with a little deep water. Luce Bayou off of Lake Houston can be good, and when the white bass start up you could try Harmon Creek off the north end of Lake Livingston. The fishing in Spring Creek can be good, but launching and pickup can require a little coordination. There is also some decent fishing off the very north end of Conroe in the National Forest; take Stubblefield Rd. off of FM 1097 west of the lake. The Trinity River below the Lake Livingston Dam can be great when the flows are right; usually two or three gates open will get the fish active. You might also look at the Lake Houston Park off of FM 1485 East; that encompasses Peach & Caney Creeks above and at their confluence before they flow into the lake. Sheldon Reservoir, near BW8 and Highway 90 on the east side of Houston is another popular local spot. The Texas Kayak Fisherman forum has a lot of local kayak anglers who could guide you to more spots. Enjoy!
Posted By: iVegotGREYS

Re: Where to go?? - 12/11/17 07:19 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys, going to give Somerville a go here in the near future.

Jim, thanks for all of the spots and info. Sheldon resorvoir are the gators bad there I here 50/50 some people say no way in a kayak especially a 10ft.

Haven't been out in a while but with the weather cooling down how is gibbons creek resorvoir this time of year?
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Where to go?? - 12/12/17 12:21 AM

Ah..... the gators don't eat much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum