Texas Fishing Forum

Yak Insurance

Posted By: JoMay1961

Yak Insurance - 11/22/17 03:05 AM

Was just wondering how many of you guys bother to get boat insurance on your Kayaks. As the cost of yaks and electronics and accessories keep climbing Im considering looking into this. I don't have an expensive peddler like some but don't want to eat the loss of my Old Town predator mx. Was also wondering if auto insurance may cover loss out of the back of a pickup. I haul mine around in the back of my truck and cable lock it when I have to leave it for a short time. This just slows down a competent thief. Yall's thoughts?
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/22/17 02:18 PM

Never thought about it but I am sure you can insure anything. Your car insurance would likely cover it if it was stolen from your truck.

I was told a gun taken from my car would be covered so I am not sure why a Kayak would not be.

Let us know what you find out. Cant imagine that it would be more than a few bucks a month. Wonder if we are talking theft or other losses. Like what if you snapped your fancy peddle drive on a stump. Those can run up to $800 or more to replace. Could that be covered as an accident I wonder?
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/22/17 03:00 PM

I have thought about it a bit. It would be nice to have if i thought the ins company would actually do what i would pay them for. I just dont trust them. I have had 2 kayaks stolen, i have got both back.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/22/17 03:38 PM

I priced insurance for my Soloskiff; it just wasn't worth it. Never considered it for the yaks.

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/22/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: christian myrick
I have thought about it a bit. It would be nice to have if i thought the ins company would actually do what i would pay them for. I just dont trust them. I have had 2 kayaks stolen, i have got both back.

Mind sharing how and where they were stolen from?

Also how did you get them back?

I have a Jackson Big Rig and transport it in the bed of my truck, the way I see it, you would need a long bed truck or bed extender and two guys to move the thing out. I mean one guy can do it but its a pain and cant be done quietly...

Point is that the kayak is not an easy item to steal. That you had 2 stolen is crazy... how did that go down?
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/22/17 04:09 PM

There is a guy in DFW that is an agent for one of the big insurance agencies and he kayaks. I think it was DUC that uses him on his kayaks so hope they chime in. I remember it was pretty cheap for a year policy.

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/22/17 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted By: christian myrick

Mind sharing how and where they were stolen from?

Also how did you get them back?

I have a Jackson Big Rig and transport it in the bed of my truck, the way I see it, you would need a long bed truck or bed extender and two guys to move the thing out. I mean one guy can do it but its a pain and cant be done quietly...

Point is that the kayak is not an easy item to steal. That you had 2 stolen is crazy... how did that go down?

They were stolen 1 at a time from my home. One was on our truck and another was on the side of our house. Both were cable locked. Police were called on both ocations. They did nothing either time. Both times friends saw for sale posts and let me know. The first time i called police and asked for them to send a car. They refused until i let them know i had a loaded pistol and if they didnt send a car they would need to send a coroner.
The second yak i went to the seller, hid around the corner and called police with the guy in my cross hairs. I was ready to kill both times. If they only knew. Imo all thieves should die and i dont mind killin em.

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/23/17 12:18 AM

Thanks for sharing Christian.

Hopefully the guys learned a lesson. But I kind of doubt it. I guess the best lesson is to keep your stuff inside.

Crazy world. I'm very happy that you got your stuff back. Damn thieves
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/25/17 01:33 PM

I used to carry insurance on my kayaks, but have dropped it recently because they've been parked at my family's ranch and not being used (sad, I know). Here's how mine broke down.

4 Kayaks - Insured Value: $2,600 - Yearly Premium: $34
Misc. Boating Equip. - Insured Value: $1,912 - Yearly Premium: $26
1 Trailer - Insured Value: $2,000 - Yearly Premium: $21
4 Kayaks Watercraft Liability - Yearly Premium: $64

As of right now my Total Yearly Premium is $145. The $16 per vessel fee for Watercraft Liability was started in April; I'm not sure I like having to carry watercraft Liability for each kayak. The Misc. Boating Equipment only covers paddles, pfd's, seats, anchors, and anything permanently attached to my kayak (ie anchor trolley). All my other equipment will be covered by my renter's insurance.

I have $50 deductibles for each kayak and Misc. boating Gear, while my trailer has $100 deductible. Each kayak has a limit of Liability of $500,000 for Watercraft Liability and $5,000 for Medical Payment.

Is it worth it? Maybe, some people have a lot more invested in this sport than I. I carried it because I spent a lot of time traveling and fishing rivers, lakes, and numerous coastal runs. The biggest thing was it lowered the deductibles down to only $50 instead of $2000.
Posted By: The Black Hammer

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/26/17 07:59 AM

I have insurance through State Farm. I'm paying about $11-15 a month (I don't remember exact) for my kayak, and everything on it. Submitted my vin # for yak and FF. For us tournament guys that sometimes have to live with the kayak on the back of their truck for sometimes weeks at a time in shady hotel's/camp grounds, it is well worth the piece of mind. I use Steven Barber State Farm, who is a kayaker, that supports Hero's on the Water, and a huge sponsor for our local trail the "North Texas Kayak Championships". I will always support those that support our community.
Posted By: JoMay1961

Re: Yak Insurance - 11/29/17 02:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I'm still working on weather it's worth it for me. Words for the wise... Stay away from Christian's stuff!!!

Re: Yak Insurance - 12/01/17 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: JoMay1961
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I'm still working on weather it's worth it for me. Words for the wise... Stay away from Christian's stuff!!!

Hahahaha! I try to always be kind. I loan boats out a lot, take people out, supply bait, hold doors...i just hate a low down thief.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Yak Insurance - 12/01/17 05:39 PM

This thread came along at a good time. I was just wondering what it would cost?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum