Texas Fishing Forum

Below Lake Whitney

Posted By: Mooreg9

Below Lake Whitney - 11/07/17 06:09 PM

I want to fish below lake whitney over thanksgiving break with a buddy out if the kayaks but i don't know much about this stretch of water. can someone help me out and just let me know what i need to look out for and maybe what tackle to take on the trip?
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Below Lake Whitney - 11/08/17 02:38 AM

Bring rope to drag your kayak over the shallow rocks. Wear sturdy shoes like tennis shoes or wading boots. Lightweight kayak booties won’t cut it.

At dawn start with a Zara Spook at the top for Stripers. After a mile in, switch baits and try for Largemouth Bass. Rig one rod with a crawdad looking jig and another one with a swim bait.

Re: Below Lake Whitney - 11/10/17 05:34 PM

what kind of swim bait? something like a 4-5 inch paddle tail swim bait on a jig head?
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Below Lake Whitney - 11/10/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mooreg9
what kind of swim bait? something like a 4-5 inch paddle tail swim bait on a jig head?

Yes, that is what I was thinking.
Posted By: camoxpress

Re: Below Lake Whitney - 11/13/17 01:50 PM

I prefer to put in at Dick's. You can fish the pool there (above and below the bridge), or head upstream for a few miles and then back. I agree that you'll be dragging and need the proper gear. I like small soft plastics fished slow, and find much better success casting upstream.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Below Lake Whitney - 11/13/17 03:18 PM

One thing to look out for is water flow. The dam can start generating power with no warning time and it can go from 30 cfs to 5000 cfs in about 20 minutes. That makes it almost impossible to paddle back up river if that's where you parked. I checked and the last time they generated was between Oct. 14 and Oct. 20 so hopefully it won't happen as much with the cooler weather. Just make sure if it is a hot or really cold day when you go to be prepared for it. You can always put in at the dam (careful you park above water line) and take out at Dicks if they generate.

Re: Below Lake Whitney - 11/13/17 04:27 PM

thats what i planned on doing was putting in by the dam and taking out at dicks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum