Texas Fishing Forum

The wind

Posted By: Sirjet

The wind - 06/16/17 07:00 PM

Well Just waiting for the wind to not be blowing 15 MPH or more. So i can sneak my tube out for some bridge fishing.
Posted By: muscogeemike

Re: The wind - 06/16/17 10:08 PM

Know what you mean, I have a new boat that I can hardly get on the water!
If I lived near you I go tubing with you.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: The wind - 06/16/17 11:09 PM

Sirjet & muscogeemike when the winds are out of the South,SW or SE, you can fish the Ray Hubbard 66 Bridge pillings on the boat Ramp side(westbound) for about a half a mile without ever getting blown out of position.WHY? Because the Eastbound side acts as a half a mile wind barrier.You will have more pillings that you can fish in a day from a tube before you reach the open water!
Posted By: where's my bobber?

Re: The wind - 06/17/17 04:36 AM

Hey sirjet....hitting tawakoni Sunday for some tubing.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: The wind - 06/17/17 06:25 PM

I too know what you mean. I didn't wet a line once last week because of it. This week is looking good. I plan on hitting Cedar Creek and maybe Lewisville this week. Getting a depth finder to put on my tube this week. Should really help with fishing brushpiles.
Posted By: Epic

Re: The wind - 06/18/17 01:48 PM

The wind yesterday was a whooping. I spent about 5 hours in my tube and I am still exhausted.

Re: The wind - 06/18/17 02:05 PM

You are more dedicated than me for sure LOL. If it is much above 10-15 (depending on what direction and where I can fish) I am going to wait. It is hard work having to kick non-stop just stay in one spot.

Re: The wind - 06/20/17 09:42 PM

i went to my spot on Joe Pool and just couldn't hold to a spot. I am fairly athletic (for a old man) and my legs were smokin.

Re: The wind - 06/21/17 03:57 AM

I remember Where's my bobber and I went out last year in 28 mph gusts. Talk about having tired legs!!! Definitely not a time to tube alone.

A few more trips out and my legs should be back in shape for this.
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: The wind - 06/21/17 01:52 PM

Ive been blown out into the main lake a couple of times. Now i wont go out if the winds are 15mph+ lol

Re: The wind - 06/21/17 06:35 PM

Ya'll are some brave souls. I will put in and If i am not in control. I go about 30 yards and then I start heading back. All the time I am looking at the main lake and saying to myself. I have to get back to land or I will end up on the other side of the lake.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: The wind - 06/26/17 06:25 PM

Any of you guys carry an anchor?

Re: The wind - 06/26/17 06:30 PM

I don't. I am moving constantly when I'm in my tube looking for active fish. I have not found a need to use an anchor in the tube yet.

Re: The wind - 06/26/17 08:49 PM

My fins are my anchor. It's easy to stay where you want. I think an anchor and rope would just get in the way.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 12:33 AM

Never use an anchor. Like the others have said, there's no need.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 12:35 PM

Others mentioned getting exhausted and being blown out into the lake. Now I don't use a life jacket or a whistle, either...but I carry them. Seems like cheap insurance. But each to his own.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 01:44 PM

You asked a question and people answered. You are the only one who knows how capable you are in the tube. If you can't handle the wind, whatever speed it may be, you shouldn't be on the water. Most of us don't use an anchor. The small ones they make for tubes are a joke. If you choose to carry the extra weight of an anchor that would actually work, more power to you.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 01:50 PM

I tried the anchor thing. But they are correct. it just got in the way. i see where if you where getting blown across the lake might be able to drop an anchor to hold you until you got some help. But in my case it does not take long for me to know if i can handle the wind or not.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 01:52 PM

There was one time when i was doing a tube drift for Catfish on Lake Dallas and hooked into a 25 lbs catfish. I wish i had had an anchor. that monster drug me all over the place. it was fun but It took all of my fishing skills to land him.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: where's my bobber?
If you can't handle the wind, whatever speed it may be, you shouldn't be on the water.

I've been caught in an unexpected wind more than once.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 02:48 PM

A mans got to know his Limitations: Clint coolioEastwood

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 05:12 PM

Someone was talking about doing some Sunday evening tubing. Who was that? i don't remember.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Originally Posted By: where's my bobber?
If you can't handle the wind, whatever speed it may be, you shouldn't be on the water.

I've been caught in an unexpected wind more than once.

I don't know about everyone else but I would never be caught in a wind that is so bad that I would need an anchor to keep me from blowing across the lake. I pay very close attention to the weather and know exactly what I am getting into when I get into my tube.

Re: The wind - 06/27/17 10:53 PM

Because weathermen are so accurate.

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Because weathermen are so accurate.

They are accurate to a certain extent. Then it is up to you to stay aware and use common sense when a storm is approaching and get off the water. I've done it numerous times. I see dark clouds, check the radar and see a storm headed towards me and I get off before I can be caught in it. If you get caught in an unexpected wind, then you just aren't paying attention. Hate to come off harsh but it is the truth.
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 01:47 AM

Check out the myradar app for Apple and Android. It's spot on every single time. A must for anyone for any reason travel, day at the lake, or the person outside at work....
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 01:52 AM

Posted By: porta

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 04:03 AM

I like to walk my tube to a place that launches INTO the strong wind and work against the wind on the most sheltered side at the start. That way I can always use a tail wind to quickly get back if it gets worse due to puncture, accident, or a storm comes.

Anchors work best in still water/no wind (jigging over several hours) for me, but you will need 2 of them with wind to prevent the wide swings when you let out enough line so they catch. The best I have found are the folding 1.5# grapnels which snag the bottom when unfolded, but you need plenty of line on them to let out so they snag the bottom and hold. If you rig them to the hole under the hooks with a stronger line tied ABOVE a short section of weaker line at the top tie, you can unsnag them by pulling hard enough to break the weaker line section (pulls anchor from bottom).

Anchors don't allow me to turn to face the fish I am fighting, or to chase a really big or fast fish. If a fish runs behind you it is generally a pain especially if the anchor line is back there because of possible tangles.

PC

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2

They are accurate to a certain extent. Then it is up to you to stay aware and use common sense when a storm is approaching and get off the water. I've done it numerous times. I see dark clouds, check the radar and see a storm headed towards me and I get off before I can be caught in it. If you get caught in an unexpected wind, then you just aren't paying attention. Hate to come off harsh but it is the truth.

While it is improving, cell service can be spotty or non-existent at a lot of rural fishing holes. And some of us non-metro types actually enjoy camping off grid.

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 03:56 PM

Wow. Are you just looking for things to complain about? Every time someone says something you have some snide or snarky remark. If you don't want to hear the opinions of other, don't ask. And the things you are complaining about, they are all in your control. So. Carry an anchor if you want. Don't carry a phone if you don't want to. If you get caught in an unexpected (as you call it) wind, use said anchor. Smh.

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 04:26 PM

There you go again. I didn't really ask for your opinion. I asked if you carried an anchor, then I gave my opinion...which I thought was appropriate for a thread about wind.

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 04:37 PM

Ok man. Whatever you say.

Re: The wind - 06/28/17 04:46 PM

Good Day Porta. I also do the same thing. I carry my tube agaist the wind and then let the wind take me back to my normal starting point. Or i will fight the wind and end the day relaxing while it brings back.
Posted By: porta

Re: The wind - 06/29/17 02:17 AM

Sirjet wrote:"There was one time when i was doing a tube drift for Catfish on Lake Dallas and hooked into a 25 lbs catfish. I wish i had had an anchor. that monster drug me all over the place. it was fun but It took all of my fishing skills to land him."

I've caught 25# redfish while on a tube, but it is a mixed blessing. Exciting because of the size, but it sometimes takes near an hour to tire them out! I was thinking it might be good to carry a folding gaff, lipper or something like that- to speed the process up, so you don't wind up with only 4 fish in 4 hours (I catch and release only). Main thing is to keep barbs away (some cranks have 6 or more points) from the tube while you handle the fish, whether you keep or release.

Any tricks on speeding up the process of landing big fish from a tube?

PC

Re: The wind - 06/29/17 01:54 PM

Good Question Porta. What i have started doing was have a good Balance of Flipping backwards while losing my drag in a way that i can get to land. It was fun. But when you start wondering if they are going to drag you to China. LOL

Re: The wind - 07/12/17 01:30 PM

The wind continues. Last 2 days of 5-10 mph wind forecasts turned into 15-20. Nothing like getting up to a light wind and wind forecast only to drive 1.5 hours to the lake and be met with 15-20 mph winds. I will try again next week..
Posted By: naparat

Re: The wind - 08/03/17 01:08 PM

I have a fish basket dropped 6ft to keep fish alive and the basket acts like a drift anchor,some of my best crappie come from tubing tawakoni the wind capital.
Posted By: Resh

Re: The wind - 08/03/17 04:55 PM

Yes naparat that fish basket acts like a big wind sock for sure. I've been paddling back before and wondered what was taking so long before I remembered to pull it up roflmao

I did get pulled around by this guy for awhile last night, any tips on landing bigger fish are welcomed, I just tired it out and reached over with pliers and ripped the hook out, no way to grab it

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum