Texas Fishing Forum

12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican

Posted By: Workfishngolf37

12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/13/16 04:29 AM

90 % of the time I'll be fishing slow moving creeks and rivers. Every now and then I want to get out on the lake and fish. What would you guys recommend?
Posted By: fastpitchfan

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/13/16 12:23 PM

Get the one you can load and unload the easiest.

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/13/16 02:35 PM

I'll buy a trailer if I get the 12 ft flat bottom. I was just worried about 10-15 mph wind. I'm wondering which one will handle the wind better.
Posted By: charlief1

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/17/16 02:25 AM

I've got a 12 foot aluminum flat bottom V that needs to go to someone else. I've used it once in 6 months so it needs someone that will use it more. Send me a note if you're interested.

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/18/16 10:27 AM

I bought the pelican raider but they didn't have the trolling motor I wanted. I have one more question for you guys. Would it be worth the money to buy a 2.5 horsepower motor or just buy a 50-55 pound thrust trolling motor.
Posted By: medinaD

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/19/16 03:13 PM

Good choice on the Pelican. Love mine, will never go back to flat bottom, the pontoon style is much better for stability. Any small boat, aluminum, fiberglass or plastic will have trouble in the wind. Stay close to shoreline and be "better safe than sorry". However, in saying that, I've been caught out in the open when the wind has picked up drastically. You'll get wet and have a rough ride, but you will get back to shore. I don't think they are sinkable. I've had mine out on Amistad Lake and Corpus Christi Bay with 10-15 mph winds and did ok. I went the 2.5hp on the back end and 30lb trolling motor on the front route. With the outboard on the back you save on battery life and it works as rudder to keep you tracking straight while using the trolling motor. It's also added security that you have another option to get back to shore. Mine does about 5mph on full throttle with 2 people and gear in calm water. Bought the 2.5 on Craig's list. The 2 strokes are lighter, mine is a 90's era Mercury and only weights 28 pounds. If you go the outboard route find one that has a built in gas tank. This will save room in your boat. Also, use the premixed fuel you find in the quart metal containers, no ethanol, it will run better and save you in the long run with repair issues.
Posted By: Jedfish

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/24/16 09:10 PM

Agree on the stability and rough water capability of the Bass Raider. I have the 10' with a Endura Max 55lb TM on the front and have been caught out on my local lake when the winds picked up to 20 mph AND all the pleasure boaters showed up and fought waves that came over the bow and kicked the front up so much that the TM came clean out of the water. While I had more water in the bottom of the boat that I wanted when I finally loaded it back in the truck, there wasn't a drop inside the hull. With just me (230 lbs) and a 70 lb battery with another 50ish pounds of gear and cooler, I can hit about 3.5 mph in calm water...not getting anywhere fast, but always getting there and more importantly, GETTING BACK! I am about to install a full length raised deck in it with rod storage underneath and install a pin and pedestal seat up front. It should make maneuvering in the boat much easier without the seat mounts hindering my ability to get to the rear of the boat. We'll see I guess...
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/25/16 02:26 AM

I think the most important thing is the pelican is full of foam so it won't sink if filled with water. This really comes in handy if you ever get caught out in a storm and it's really pouring. Ask me how I know lol.
As for the motor options. If you like to sneak up on the fish an electric motor will always be your best bet. If you have fast in mind keep in mind weight vs power. The lighter the better. I once rigged up a weed wacker with a minn kota prop and it pushed my 8ft like crazy. I had a very nice wake along the side and behind. Once i sell the 8ft and get the 10ft I'll spend$$$ for even more cc's and do it again or just find an old Johnson 3hp light twin.
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 08/25/16 02:29 AM

Also turn sideways if you see a big wave...
Posted By: Jedfish

Re: 12 ft flat bottom boat or 10 ft pelican - 10/01/16 08:59 PM

I second that! Last weekend when the cold front blew in I was out on my local lake and learned very quickly how to read and adjust to the breaks in the waves!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum