Texas Fishing Forum

@&#* turtles!!!

Posted By: charlief1

@&#* turtles!!! - 10/14/15 03:05 AM

We've got a small pond here that I've been trying to maintain but with the spring rain we had a serious invasion of turtles. I've been killing them and snakes as often as I can but I know I haven't got them all. I decided to throw a line tonight and see if I could catch a few cats for dinner, but noooo. Blasted turtles were eating what was on the hook so I had to eat canned chili instead. mad I just checked the last line less than 30 minutes ago and dragged in another readeared slider. He'll be removed tomorrow because I didn't want to get the hook out of him in the dark but this just pissed me off since I know there are some nice pan sized cats in there waiting to be fried up.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 10/14/15 05:19 PM

Charlief1 try this out , I used one just like it when I was young and caught turtles to see to kids at my school lol .

http://www.grit.com/departments/turtle-traps-build-your-own.aspx

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 10/14/15 09:03 PM

That might just work. I've been having to sneak up on them when they're sunning on the bank and use my 12 gauge to blast them. We had a bunch of wood floating from the spring rains and I was using a 22 mag on them, but all the woods been removed so they don't get out of the water very much any more. Trying to hit them when they're floating doesn't work as well since they duck down if they see someone. frown
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 10/14/15 10:16 PM

You might try setting a trot line baited with beef liver.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 10/15/15 01:36 AM

Ugh I hate turtles too!!!

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 10/15/15 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
You might try setting a trot line baited with beef liver.

Believe it or not, bacon and pork rind seem to work the best. Put lines out today with minnows on and they're getting chewed up. I may try something else tomorrow to see if I can get a few more out.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 11/18/15 01:56 AM

I too detest Turtles they always show up after I catch a fish or two, I believe they scare off the remaining fish.

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 11/18/15 02:09 AM

Got a blind set up and with the rain we just had the pond is super full right now. Just need a nice warm day so I can do a little shooting so I can get a few more of the blasted things. One's at least 12" but there are a few that are in the hand sized range and I don't want to waste a shell on them if I don't have to.
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 11/18/15 02:26 AM

This is what i do with them while I'm fishing... Seems to work lol! I release them after.
Posted By: Bovine

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 11/18/15 05:31 AM

we used to shoot turtles in our pond with pellet guns and .22's we'd see them surface and just shoot them

Re: @&#* turtles!!! - 11/18/15 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bovine
we used to shoot turtles in our pond with pellet guns and .22's we'd see them surface and just shoot them

They've gotten wary of us and will duck if anyone's within 50 yards or so now. That's the reason for the blind, among other things. dance2 I use a scoped 22 mag and have to pop them at between 70 and 100 yards now. It makes it a challenge and I've split a few of them in half with the hollow points. First time I split one I didn't believe what I saw until it happened the second time. eeks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum