Texas Fishing Forum

South Lake

Posted By: Phototex

South Lake - 05/03/15 10:31 PM

I launched my pond boat into this pretty body of water south of Farmersville on the way home from a morning spent at Lake Fork. It has the healthiest collection of weeds I've seen in a long time: lily pads in 9-10 feet of water, filamentous algae (snot grass), American pondweed, reeds, milfoil, coontail, hydrilla, some others I don't know, and whatever that horrible, long stringy grass is. I can easily see why kayaks are the preferred mode of transporation there! Spent a couple of hours on the water, and had one hookup with a big fish at the dam - until it hung me up in the vegetation and got off. Nice lake, but it's not for me!
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: South Lake - 06/10/15 04:51 AM

That weed situation makes life a bit difficult for a tuber.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: South Lake - 06/10/15 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
That weed situation makes life a bit difficult for a tuber.
i prefer it when it's grassy. Stay on the outside of the grass and pitch to the open holes, and BAM
Posted By: Phototex

Re: South Lake - 07/10/15 01:36 PM

As far as I could tell, there WAS no 'outside' of the grass. It's everywhere!

Re: South Lake - 07/10/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: phototex
As far as I could tell, there WAS no 'outside' of the grass. It's everywhere!

There is though. It's not that bad this summer because the water is high
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: South Lake - 07/15/15 10:31 PM

You finally made it out there, nice! Sucks you didn't like it much, I love that little place, though Muenster is hands down my favorite pond boating lake. That place is awesome for just the lillypads. Paddling out form the ramp through impassable grass always sucks though, and with the pads in full bloom you can't explore most of the reaches in a pond boat, definitely a kayak paradise though. Meunster is that lake but with timber that is easily navigated vs the grass, but SO much timer to enjoy! And the fish population there is larger overall. Surprised att he lack of hookups there, it's usually a dinkfest out there... though I did one time have what I would guess was a 7lb caliber fish inhale a chatterbait long the grass at the corner of the damn, and similarly pull me down into the matt and break off under 20lbs or so of grass.
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: South Lake - 07/17/15 02:21 PM

Can someone pm me on how to get to farmersville and the muenster lake. I have a 10ft bass buster would like to take out. Thanks
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: South Lake - 07/26/15 10:05 AM

Just look up on google maps, can't tell you how to get somewhere not knowing where you are comin from!

Muenster Tx is general location of muenster lake, just west of town north of the highway.

Farmersville is east of mckinney up 380, past princeton, and southlake is small and just south of 380 a bit once you enter town.

Southlake is great easy fishing albeit tough environment to move through in most places up shallow, while muenster is tough to fish without a graph for the most part, but fairly straightforward navigating as its just pure timber to work through. I would love to take a trip to meunster one sunday with someone who has a prowler, I miss that little lake since I got my big boat!

Re: South Lake - 07/26/15 11:55 AM

There's no pads at southlake this year so navigating the shallows is a non factor
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: South Lake - 07/26/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: northdallasfisherman
Can someone pm me on how to get to farmersville and the muenster lake. I have a 10ft bass buster would like to take out. Thanks
Google can help you
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum