Texas Fishing Forum

LBJ grasslands

Posted By: dbltea

LBJ grasslands - 02/10/15 05:03 PM

Has anyone been to the Grasslands lately? Was curious about the lake levels ...I was thinking they caught some water in a couple of these storms. I caught quite a few crappie out of Windmill several years ago along with some nice largemouths. Dan's pond was another favorite but I think I read on here that it completely dried up. It would be nice to get the Fatcat back out there if there is some water.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: LBJ grasslands - 02/10/15 06:00 PM

I know Clear Lake has water, it also has some big ol bass
Posted By: SeaWoelf

Re: LBJ grasslands - 02/20/15 07:47 PM

dbdelta- I did lots of duck hunting out there this winter at both Dan and Windmill and both had fishable water.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: LBJ grasslands - 02/20/15 08:36 PM

Is windmill still fly fishing only?
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: LBJ grasslands - 02/20/15 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SeaWoelf
dbdelta- I did lots of duck hunting out there this winter at both Dan and Windmill and both had fishable water.

dans went dry for a while, there's no fish in it unless someone put some in
Posted By: Esnow74

Re: LBJ grasslands - 02/21/15 12:46 PM

Does anyone know if Black Creek Lake ever dried up?It was very low last time I was out but that has been quite a while back.
Posted By: dbltea

Re: LBJ grasslands - 02/23/15 04:11 PM

Regarding Windmill

It is still listed on the website as Fly Fishing only but from several years of fishing I can tell you that it is not enforced. Anytime they post a notice on the board there it gets torn down. I was even told by some teenagers out there one time that the Game Warden doesn't even enforce it with them. The good news is I hardly ever see anyone out there bait fishing unless they are catfishing. Most non flyfishing people I've seen out there were spin fishing and doing catch and release which is more important than the flyfishing only regulation.

Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: LBJ grasslands - 03/11/15 09:17 AM

Black creek never went fully dry. Dan's pond did as someone mentioned as did Berkely pond. Shame...Dan's pond was full of 3-5's and Berkely was the gem for panfish. Since Tpwd does not stock these ponds regularly it looks like it will be a few years before we can enjoy fishing them again. Clear Lake is still low but has gone up, maybe 4 feet low now. Last week is was muddy as all get out though.

Re: LBJ grasslands - 03/11/15 09:20 AM

Oh and cottonwood lake went up. Water is still not up on the boat ramp very far but at least that little hump off to the side is surrounded by water again. Someone had dumped some christmas trees right by the ramp last time I went out there. Might be worth a try here soon!

Re: LBJ grasslands - 03/11/15 09:22 AM

Rhodes lake is also up, fullest its been since the summer of '11. That poor lake has been slowly losing water for the past four years. How it never went dry is beyond me. Bright side is there are some good road beds now underwater from when it was so low and people literally could drive from the parking area to the back creek.
Posted By: PetroAg

Re: LBJ grasslands - 03/25/15 03:41 PM

Anyone having any luck out there recently? I went last Sunday and didn't get any bites at Clear lake, water was still cold. I don't have electronics so can't be specific on temp.

Re: LBJ grasslands - 04/07/15 01:12 AM

Rhodes Lake temp was 56 a few weeks back, imagine its only gone up since then and the bite was real good there. I was in boat and caught a few but I saw two guys fishing from shore on dam and they each caught at least 10 in a two hour time period. With Clear lake being a bit stained I imagine it might still be cool, but it should be heating up this month. Try creeks first then protected coves.

Re: LBJ grasslands - 04/25/15 01:16 AM

All lakes were spilling into their respective spillways as of this post. Not sure how long water will stay up but as long as the rain keeps-a-coming we should have some prime cover for fishing. Last time I can recall all lakes in the grasslands doing this was in early 2010 smile
Posted By: TexasBassBuster

Re: LBJ grasslands - 05/11/15 09:04 PM

Anybody around the lbj grasslands area know if the weekend rains filled up all the lakes there in the grasslands. Could really use a trip to clear lake or black creek lake this weekend. I would imagine if clear lake got the rains that Denton got that the pier would just about be under water by now. lol
Posted By: cope102

Re: LBJ grasslands - 05/12/15 03:48 AM

were is clear lake?

Re: LBJ grasslands - 05/12/15 07:44 AM

They are all full and going into their spillways. Cottonwoods spillway got backed up by debris and the water was so high Monday that you couldnt even make the full circle on the road by the ramp lol. Some folks, I imagine they were park rangers, were working to unclog it but with more rain it will just get clogged again. oh and cope102, Clear Lake is in unit 41 of the grasslands. Take 287 north and turn off at CR 2395. Go left at the intersection with the hopewell church sign. You will see a wooden bulletin stand and a green gate, turn there and it will take you to the lake. Be warned for those who travel, roads have been beaten to heck with the rain. Cattle guard going into clear lake has a HUGE pothole once you clear it, def a tire hazard or for any low vehicles. Many more potholes and ruts as well along the road. Oh and as for Black creek, you familiar with that little peninsula on the back side (west end)? yea...it does not exist anymore. The little turn around loop at the end of the road on the backside was in water. That whole area was a marsh as of yesterday.
Posted By: TexasBassBuster

Re: LBJ grasslands - 05/12/15 01:53 PM

Very glad it is full but hope it does level out. Thank you for the info David

Re: LBJ grasslands - 05/16/15 06:54 AM

Again I would just like to point out that the gravel roads out there are the worst I have ever seen them in my almost 16 years of fishing these lakes and ponds. Please use caution everyone, as potholes and ravines are everywhere and some roads leading to lake access are now IN the lake so dont go peeling down those roads too fast or you may meet waters edge faster than you thought, especially at the back (west) side of black creek. I recommend 4wd or at least a vehicle of good clearance and some good tires with no wear-and-tear if your going down any gravel roads out here at the moment. Please use caution and stay safe guys but also enjoy the new lake levels! Its gonna be like fishing totally new lakes once we can get out on the water again. I cant wait laugh
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum