Texas Fishing Forum

Huntsville State Park 10/1/17

Posted By: J-Moe

Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/02/17 07:14 PM

I took the kayak and fly rods out to Huntsville State Park on Saturday morning. I got started around 7 AM. I went to the right from the boat ramp. I fished along the bank with a small topwater fly trying to catch redear and bluegill. I followed behind a pair of bass fisherman for about 45 minutes. They didn't get a bite and all I got was a couple small bluegill bites.

I headed over to the dam and continued to try the popper and other small subsurface flies for bluegill with no luck. I tried throwing a popper dropper for bass with no luck either. I spoke to another pair of bass fisherman and they had only caught one bass. They told me a good spot to try for bluegill so I did. No luck again.

Finally, with no luck on bass or bluegill I decided to go fish around the stick-ups for crappie. I ended up catching a 1.5 lb. bass and 6 crappie in the 11.5 to 12 inch range.

I spoke to 3 other bass fisherman and none of them had caught a fish. All of the fisherman I talked to were fishing shallow for the most part. I didn't really see many people working deeper water.

All in all I was disappointed. I have only fished there once but had great luck catching big redear and bluegill the last time I was there. Oh well, that's fishing. I'll give it a try again sometime soon.

Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/02/17 11:29 PM

That place will drive you crazy. It looks like a big fish bowl. If I fished it 10 times in a row, I would probably be disappointed 9 times.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/03/17 02:03 AM

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/03/17 04:27 AM

Thanks for the report, how did the water look?
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/03/17 01:24 PM

Good report, we camped there with the scouts and got a few here and there, Saw some big ones that took minnows from night crappie fisherman, Whole thing looks fishy but I agree with Kevine and Rayzor. If scouts not camping there, no way I would drive there.

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/03/17 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313

There was alot of small debris such as dead vegetation floating in the water but the visibility was good. Only slightly off color.

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/03/17 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/03/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe

There was alot of small debris such as dead vegetation floating in the water but the visibility was good. Only slightly off color.

This is exactly how the water looks every time I have been.
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/05/17 04:08 AM

Well last time I was there I seen lot of new healthy looking vegetation, guess tpwd took care of that for us again. Was bout 2 to 3 months ago
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/05/17 04:08 AM

Nice post and fish Jamie! Good job. thumb

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/08/17 11:26 PM

Well last time I was there I seen lot of new healthy looking vegetation, guess tpwd took care of that for us again. Was bout 2 to 3 months ago

Every time this lake gets healthy, someone goes out there and kills anything growing in the water.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/11/17 12:41 AM

I remember when the lake was full of hydrilla and Lilly pads. It was a meca for big fish. You could go down the bank during spawn and pass up 6s and 7s to find bigger fish to try and catch. What a shame another amazing body of water ruined.

Re: Huntsville State Park 10/1/17 - 10/11/17 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
I remember when the lake was full of hydrilla and Lilly pads. It was a meca for big fish. You could go down the bank during spawn and pass up 6s and 7s to find bigger fish to try and catch. What a shame another amazing body of water ruined.

But now campers can fish from the bank and catch bluegills.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum