Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Texana ...lessons learned.

Posted By: ChuChu1

Lake Texana ...lessons learned. - 04/15/17 01:16 PM

Made another trip to Texana on Friday. Tough day, left home and it was heavy fog, but I did see the near full moon overhead. Drive went well, got launched and headed to the area I had predetermined I was going to load the boat. But a brisk EAST wind blowing! Never have done much good on east wind. Caught one blue cat about 3 pounds in the first two hours. Moved to another area, anchored up and the wind changed and came from the normal south east, but at about 20 mph. Had to re anchor twice. Caught 3 more blues and one channel for a total of four for the day. Also learned that Good Friday is not a good day to fish. Saw one boat last week and probably 25 Friday and as usual a few idiots. Finally gave up and went in at 1:00 pm.. While cleaning my big catch, talked to a couple of guys that were running trotlines and jugs. They had one yellow about 10 pounds and one blue about 5 pounds. They said that was it for two boats and 150 hooks. Said they lost very few baits. So, next time no Friday, check the moon, and check the wind.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Lake Texana ...lessons learned. - 04/16/17 12:02 AM

Texana is probably toughest lake within 2h driving from Houston. Always windy af, very dirty water (unless you are in the Jungle).
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Lake Texana ...lessons learned. - 04/16/17 01:40 AM

Thanks for the report at least it wasn't a total skunk
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Lake Texana ...lessons learned. - 04/16/17 12:49 PM

Texana is a real dirty brown right now due to rains and constant wind. Ever since it opened, a person has to fish it like the bay. Get there early and leave at noon when the wind gets up. But it is one of the best catfish lakes in Texas. And, it is normally not crowded except on weekends. Some days maybe one other boat on the lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum