Texas Fishing Forum

Choke Canyon should catch more water soon

Posted By: Big Lunker

Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/26/16 01:03 PM

Just showed the Frio River at Garner State Park. They said it was flowing 5ft. above its banks and supposedly going over the damn there. Choke should catch some more rain water soon.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/26/16 01:11 PM

Looks like it has already come up about 6".
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/26/16 04:14 PM

The Nueces is at 60,000 cfs at Uvalde. Corpus will fill again.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/26/16 04:18 PM

Should be a lot of freshly flooded lakebed.
Posted By: AAA20206

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/26/16 08:00 PM

The Frio didn't catch as much water as the Nueces, but should still see a little rise. The flooding coming down the Nueces should fill Lake CC in a couple weeks.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/26/16 09:38 PM

From my understanding Choke got more than enough rain to fill this summer, but they let water out as it was filling up to keep the flow down to the bay.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/27/16 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
From my understanding Choke got more than enough rain to fill this summer, but they let water out as it was filling up to keep the flow down to the bay.

I'm sure the big "water for sale" pond by 99 bridge helps a lot too. I wonder where all of their water comes from???
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/27/16 03:57 AM

I've pretty much given up seeing Choke full again in my lifetime!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/27/16 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

Me to Jim! I was very pleased to see Medina Lake get full again! thumb

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/27/16 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

I might see it one more time since I'm 39, doubt I'll see it twice though. If it ever does fill up it is gonna be like fishing in a jungle!
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/27/16 01:35 PM

This is 100% false. Where do you get your facts from? Nearly 100% of the bay inflows this spring and summer were met from the nueces/lake corpus.

Most people have little understanding of the hydrology of these systems. Choke canyon is a huge volume with a full capacity at 695,271 ac-ft (currently 303,558 ac-ft). It also has a small watershed that happens to cross a large aquifer recharge zone of the carrizo wilcox aquifer. The Frio watershed just simply has not caught the amount of water needed to fill the lake. 2500 cfs is simply does not much for rising the lake. 2500 cfs even for a full 24 hrs is only 4,950 ac-ft!

All these rumors about where water goes are nonsence, just look up the acutal numbers. http://www.nueces-ra.org/CP/CITY/passthru/index.php
Posted By: Txbassin

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/27/16 11:05 PM

I agree with mbsfish. We just haven't lucked into the big rain to fill her. Once i recall oppossum creek added about 10ft. but that was long ago.

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/28/16 06:47 AM

If Choke Canyon by some chance ever gets to its full capacity again (by the will of nature). I will put out efforts to have TP&W restock Choke Canyon. They may tell me to go to hell, but if enough people confront them about restocking they may bring back that fishery. Everyone knows that Choke was one of the top premier fisheries in Texas way back before the drought hit, and TP&W made a lot of extra income off that lake. They restocked Medina Lake after it refilled, so don't tell me they can't do it. Nature and the will of God works in mysterious ways. Don't give up on Choke yet!!!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/28/16 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: mbsfish

This is 100% false. Where do you get your facts from? Nearly 100% of the bay inflows this spring and summer were met from the nueces/lake corpus.

Most people have little understanding of the hydrology of these systems. Choke canyon is a huge volume with a full capacity at 695,271 ac-ft (currently 303,558 ac-ft). It also has a small watershed that happens to cross a large aquifer recharge zone of the carrizo wilcox aquifer. The Frio watershed just simply has not caught the amount of water needed to fill the lake. 2500 cfs is simply does not much for rising the lake. 2500 cfs even for a full 24 hrs is only 4,950 ac-ft!

All these rumors about where water goes are nonsence, just look up the acutal numbers. http://www.nueces-ra.org/CP/CITY/passthru/index.php

If you will notice I said "from my understanding" I offered no facts. With all your wisdom please explain your link, no units anywhere. Also whatever is realeased from choke winds up in the Nueces river correct? And flows through Lake CC no? I'm not being a smart arse, i'd be happy to learn something. I however know that choke received large amounts of rain in areas that would have brought water to the lake and the lake had either zero change or in some cases went down afterwards according to the level monitoring site I was watching.
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 09/30/16 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: mbsfish

If you will notice I said "from my understanding" I offered no facts. With all your wisdom please explain your link, no units anywhere. Also whatever is realeased from choke winds up in the Nueces river correct? And flows through Lake CC no? I'm not being a smart arse, i'd be happy to learn something. I however know that choke received large amounts of rain in areas that would have brought water to the lake and the lake had either zero change or in some cases went down afterwards according to the level monitoring site I was watching.

Forgive me if I sound harsh, but there are too many misnomers about water in general but especially choke.

The units on the link are listed at the top of the table but most all volumes are in Acft (=325,851 gallons), which is the unit we use in water resources. For choke you want to look at inflows from the Frio and San Miguel. And yes releases from choke are on there too. Easily the number 1 consumer of water on choke is evaporatation (it's a windy desert), which is also in the table. Yes I know the table is confusing, but it has a lot of data. Also at the top of the page you can go back to any date and see, probably the last day of the month is best, because it lists everything in MTD.

Anyway if you really want to know more I can point you to other data.

Source: I'm a hydrologist from a different area with personal interest (fishing) here
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 10/10/16 03:37 PM

Choke Canyon. This is every where and I'ev heard some pretty good fishing reports.

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 10/11/16 01:19 AM

Oh my,,,,,,,,,, Im moving to San Antonio in 2 weeks, that stuff looks goooood!! I can't wait, it has to be better than this Arizona fishing. Did you catch any out of that? Looks like a frog and punch rig would be the ticket.

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 10/11/16 01:27 AM

It's not quite as good as it should be, the lakes been suffering due to a never ending drought; but it is getting better.

popcorn on the "did you catch any out of it"?

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 10/11/16 08:30 AM

That is looking awesome!!!. Now if the lake would just fill up again, restock, and were back in business. banana

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 10/11/16 01:25 PM

I didnt fish it, but the guys that took the pic had close to 25 pounds on Sunday, but it take them all day and said their biggest fish didnt come in the grass, although they said they lost a good one in there but didnt have the proper setups with them to get them out.

Another friend called me with a report and he caught a 9 pounder out there yesterday but didnt catch that one in the grass either, but said he did catch it shallow. I'm waiting on the pic. He did say he caught several fish in the grass, they just didnt have much size.

Just to add, I've also heard reports from guys saying they have struggled to put a limit together but most all have caught one good one (4-6pounds) so the lake isnt fishing "lights out" for quality keepers for most anglers. It appears to be a grind, but all have said you can catch multiple fish in the grass on the small side.

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 10/11/16 01:34 PM

That's kind of what I experienced last time I was down there. I threw a frog all over the grass and never had anything even look at it. I thought maybe it was just me though.

Re: Choke Canyon should catch more water soon - 10/11/16 01:42 PM

I havent heard anyone say they are catching them on frogs. 1 1/2oz punching rigs and firing it way back in there. You'll need a broomstick to drag them all the way through the grass and back to the boat.

Offshore bite is still on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum