Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately?

Posted By: wrknonit

Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/10/15 08:25 PM

I'm getting that itch. wondering if anyone can tell me the current conditions.
texas
Posted By: tbud

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/12/15 06:45 PM

Last i saw was wednesday before thanksgiving day. Water was chocolate brown and up almost to the concrete divider between the two ramps. I was planning to look again in the next week or two when i head to the valley.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/16/15 08:16 PM

Thanks tbud. I might be heading down to Corpus in a few days, so I can stop by and check her out.
Posted By: thedeuce

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/17/15 12:53 PM

Maybe we can have a white bass run this year. Never got to run down last year

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/17/15 08:07 PM

I hope so , brother. I missed out last year totally. Freezers getting a bit empty.. texas

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/27/15 08:12 PM

Went by early afternoon thursday and water looked pretty good. There were 5 trailers there and couple of empty trucks so maybe kayaks. Talked to a man that had caught two whites in one hour from bank. He just wanted to fish before a party. Waited around for 30 minutes but no boats came in. May go wednesday or thursday.
Posted By: Josh Ray

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/28/15 01:59 PM

Its alittle early isnt it for the run?
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/28/15 05:30 PM

How large a boat can be put in there?

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/28/15 06:40 PM

Last year the 59 bridge had some 18' fiberglass boats going downstream and canoes/kayaks going upstream. At airport ramp kayaks or canoes were the only ones i saw. Last year started late december downstream.
Posted By: Chief Mike

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/29/15 02:38 AM

I put in at hwy 59 bridge last year with my 18 ft. Nitro Bay boat. It did okay with only a few problems. Trees & stumps from bridge to 2nd turn heading toward lake. Just had to be careful. Did real well too. Can't wait to get down there this year. I think we were down there around the end of January. I have heard of people fishing down there in late December and doing well.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/29/15 02:27 PM

Sounds like I need to get my stuff together and make a trip down there.
Posted By: dhogdog

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/30/15 05:51 PM

What lures work best for you guys? We like to throw white curly tails and chartreuse curly tai
s.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/30/15 07:54 PM

hey dhogdog, curly tails jig (Roadrunners) work well. I have always had real good success with Rapala SR-5 in shad & silver colors also 1/4oz Rattle Traps in chrome with blue or black back. Always do well trolling. Find the fish troll that area till the fish turn off. Once you locate the fish you can work the banks and any stick ups with the curly tail jigs. Lots of brush & trees in the river. WARNING!!! This kind of fishing is very addictive. I have yet to find a patch to put on my arm that will help me overcome this addiction. So I guess I will keep on fishing! Good luck to you!

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/30/15 08:50 PM

Not really. depending on the weather, you can find some up river this early. Usually, its the smaller males that come up early. Big females usually wait a few more weeks.
texas
Posted By: dhogdog

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 12/30/15 11:09 PM

Thanks Chief Mike. I appreciate the info. My boys and I have done well with the curly tails. I will have to try the trolling method. My boys are 17 and 9 and really love chunking lures. Keeps them busy as well. Last year we did well. We were fishing about 1.5 miles north of Swinney Switch. We then found a good spot within a few hundred yards from 59. This location was better as I did not have to haul the big boat down. We were able to fish out of 2 Buster Boats at this spot.

Posted By: shark

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/01/16 04:06 AM

Ill be down trying my luck from the bank tomorrow. Gonna hit 99, airport and 59. Ill report when i get home
Posted By: shark

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/02/16 02:13 AM

Weather kept me at home today.
Posted By: rodeo lineman

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/14/16 03:37 AM

went with the boy today--weather was great--fishing was slow--picked up 4 large males--one weighed 1.5 lbs--others on the river had the same results

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/14/16 06:53 PM

Hey rodeo lineman, where did you put in & where did you fish.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/15/16 02:08 PM

going tomorrow, any reports. Is it best to put in at the airport or at 59

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/15/16 07:57 PM

Josh Ray, It depends. If your taking a boat put in at hwy 59 and head down river (south). Canoe, kayak or very shallow draft boat put in at airport rd (north). Good luck! Weather should be nice.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/16/16 10:09 PM

Put in at 59, ran all over. North of the airport is shallow. I don't recommend anything big, yaks and canoes only north of the airport.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/16/16 10:10 PM

Traffic was awful, I don't know if I'll be back this year, some people did not have good boating etiquette.
Posted By: Jater07

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/17/16 06:32 AM

Damn that sucks. Did you at least catch some fish Josh?
Posted By: FishKilla

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/17/16 07:34 AM

Damn Josh that sucks! That's what happens when you have people telling all on social media. You get the lazy people not wanting to make the trip and work it until mid February. So you have an influx of people out there before the run. People are making it easy for everyone when you putting in to make trip and spends days out there locating and trying to catch and then put it on social media. Game wardens should be out there patrolling like four years ago and keep the rookies or idiots with out any kind of boat etiquette in check. That's just terrible. Hope you at least caught a few fish smile

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/17/16 02:08 PM

Only caught three

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/18/16 08:16 PM

That is a frickin' shame. Too many inconsiderate a&%es out there. You'd have done better without them I'd bet. I don't know what your working schedule is like, but I only go down during the week. I usually only see 2 or 3 people down there and they tend to be the old pros. Sorry your trip was crappy.
texas
Posted By: Jig & Pig

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/19/16 03:57 AM

Sounds like I'll avoid the weekends. River is same level as 2014 for Feb. Guess I've been lucky in the past, no run ins with hoodlums. Maybe they wont come back if they didn't catch anything.
Posted By: Riotex

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/19/16 04:00 AM

Josh, Being an ol timer on the river, I totally understand your frustration. Ive been fishing this WB run for the last 30 plus years and have seen my share of idiots that have a non understanding of what we're doing !!! Ive avoided a lot of this by going during the weekdays as wrknonit stated. I love to share the reports on how I do but have found it sometimes comes back to haunt me when I show up at the river and its so crowded that you cant get your boat launched. Dont get me wrong-- I enjoy watching others catch fish and love helping them--- BUT- there is always a few bad apples that spoil it for us. Anyhow, I hope everyone has a good season this year. smile Rio
Posted By: parttime

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/19/16 01:03 PM

Sucks that your trip was messed up by idiots. We fished the river on Friday, coming up from the lake. Never got in a big mess of them, but picked up about 15 mostly on the troll. I agree with the others, if you can fish during the week, it is best.
Posted By: rodeo lineman

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/20/16 09:48 PM

We put in at the airport with kayaks and went up river stopping here and there--we went as far up river as i could stand--my arms got tired--but coming back down was not that easy the current was not that swift--we went passed the overhead power line about a mile

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/21/16 04:26 AM

We passed you all today in a motor boat. Im not sure I could have paddled that far. Most of the boats were about 3/4 mile past where you all turned around. Our rig was too big to go any farther.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/21/16 03:13 PM

Welcome to the days of the internet!

Now with the genie out of the bottle be prepared to share the river with more than a few idiots with a "me first" attitude.
It's early and the fish are going to be where you find them with a lot of sections of the river not holding fish.
Just be considerate to others and bite your tongue if possible rather than let someone ruin your day!
Tight lines!
Posted By: parttime

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/21/16 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Welcome to the days of the internet!

Now with the genie out of the bottle be prepared to share the river with more than a few idiots with a "me first" attitude.
It's early and the fish are going to be where you find them with a lot of sections of the river not holding fish.
Just be considerate to others and bite your tongue if possible rather than let someone ruin your day!
Tight lines!

Good advice right there. Oh, and fish during the week if you can. wink

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/23/16 01:43 AM

Went back to the river Thursday. Had a good day of fishing, despite my lines being run over, twice. Caught 23 Whites and two Gaspergoos. Tight lining minnows and patience did the trick. After missing all of last year, it was good to be back on the river and on the fish. Now I have a face to go with the names.
Good to hear from you Jimbo.
Posted By: da_karr

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/23/16 08:38 PM

Heading out there in my kayak tomorrow. Hoping the boat traffic is minimal, this i doubt it will be!!
Posted By: Txbassin

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/24/16 12:42 AM

Went out Friday no rudeness just nice guys having fun fishing.
Only caught a few while other boats did fairly well. Trolling rattle traps.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/24/16 01:46 AM

Which way did go, TxBassin? Upriver or towards the lake?
Posted By: Txbassin

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/24/16 02:16 PM

Towards Lake Mathis.
Posted By: whatever

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/24/16 06:06 PM

how did you do at airport ramp?

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 01/28/16 02:54 PM

I launched my kayak at airport last sunday. I caught around 20 fish, all being small males except for 2 fat females. Most fish were 8"-10" in size. All were caught on 3" white grubs on a roadrunner jig head. Most all fish were caught all the way up at the rapids. I caught a few just below the rapids and some above the rapids by a couple hundred yards. The rapids is as far as small PB's can make it. I was able to drag my yak through the rapids and could access above the rapids. Tons of people on the water. Please be safe out there, especially on a narrow waterway like the Nueces. I imagine this warm weather we have coming up should get another wave of fish up river.

Re: Anyone been down to the airport ramp in Three rivers lately? - 02/02/16 12:48 AM

We limited culling fish from 1030-430 Saturday. Had to move a lot to find big fish. Even with a motor its a hour boat ride
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum