Texas Fishing Forum

Broken Bow Walleye

Posted By: Vette1125

Broken Bow Walleye - 07/10/15 12:48 PM

Has anyone ever fished for Walleye at BB this time of year? Any tips on baits and how?

Thanks
Chuck
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Broken Bow Walleye - 07/10/15 10:30 PM

Probably have to go deep during the day. Try trolling a black plastic that looks like a leech or bouncing a white buck tail jig with light blue head tipped with a minnow. At night, I'd troll around islands or edges of sand bars. Medium diving jointed minnow or other bait fish patterns work. Used to be a lure called the "Brooks Reefer" in a perch scale that worked. These were my experiences in Minnesota, may work here.

Bob
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Broken Bow Walleye - 07/14/15 06:53 PM

Talked to some people there recently who tried all day and never landed any. I think they go really deep in the summer and suspend on that lake, becoming almost impossible to catch. Most of what I've read is that it's a spring/fall fishery.
Posted By: GoodOleG

Re: Broken Bow Walleye - 07/14/15 10:18 PM

Fished there this wkend and caught a bunch on the fly!!!!

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Broken Bow Walleye - 07/14/15 11:37 PM

very cool! love eyes, especially in areas you don't expect. I wish TPWD would stock a few eyes in area lakes to give anglers a surprise like the early 80's. maybe too many kids got their fingers cut lipping them. wink
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Broken Bow Walleye - 07/16/15 03:46 PM

Wow. I have never seen a wally caught on a fly. And more surprised that it was caught fairly shallow during the day. Were you using some sort of leech pattern?

I used to catch them during the summer but only at night. But this was on the Kankakee river in IL.

Nice job!

thumb
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Broken Bow Walleye - 07/21/15 03:46 PM

They are catching them in the river, not the lake. The flood put a bunch of them in the outflow areas. Spillway creek has them and the generating station outflow is lousy with them very early in the morning and the first hour after dark. Nothing big, but certainly a good catch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum