Texas Fishing Forum

Dunlap Lake

Posted By: savntay

Dunlap Lake - 05/31/15 01:20 AM

So they started releasing water from Canyon Lake

Can wait until things start to stabilize.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Dunlap Lake - 05/31/15 12:59 PM

Notice the jet ski's haven't been slowed down! bang
Posted By: Big Lunker

Re: Dunlap Lake - 05/31/15 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Those nuts would get out in anything. A little dirty water not going to slow them down. Schools out for the summer. loco_2
Posted By: Hunt91

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/01/15 04:06 AM

Didn't you know those "No Wake" bouys don't apply to them?? Or so they think.....

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/01/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt91

Didn't you know those "No Wake" bouys don't apply to them?? Or so they think.....

As far as they are concerned, no rules apply to them! Neither does courtesy! loco
Posted By: savntay

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/02/15 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunt91

As far as they are concerned, no rules apply to them! Neither does courtesy! loco

So true....
Posted By: TxStLipRipper

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/02/15 01:07 AM

How's the water clarity?
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/02/15 04:44 PM

not ALL that bad below schumans. pretty dirty as you go up
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/03/15 03:49 AM

They increased the release from Canyon Lake today from 3300cfs to 5000cfs at 2pm today. Dunlap will be raging by tomorrow. Be safe out there.

I cant wait til this settles. The fishing on Dunlap is going to be amazing this summer.
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/04/15 01:39 PM

went out last night...gotta be careful running, and I wouldn't venture up much past the 40 ft hole. Saw a Heron standing in the middle of the channel swing at schumans. Log was completely submerged. Also seeing logs jammed up against current-side docks. Pretty big chunks of wood. Water cooling off with the release, and still very murky.
Posted By: ratandjmt

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/05/15 12:46 PM

I was looking at heading up towards Dunlap in the morning and trying for a couple of bass. How is the water today?
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/05/15 01:35 PM

Its a raging river. My daughter and I pulled up to the 35 ramp at daylight thinking we would do some perch jerking. Decided against it as it looks almost like rapids at the ramp. Under normal conditions, an accidental drop of the bow line is no prob. But it would be "adios boat" if such should occur now. Level is up several feet almost to top of ramp. Release from Canyon now 4890.
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/05/15 01:37 PM

The water is moving! They are releasing at 5000cfs upstream. I've been told the only option you have is to launch from Schumans and fish the lower end of the lake where the current isnt as strong. If you have any other options at all, I would likely pass on Dunlap for those. The fishing will be amazing out there soon, but right now the current is just too strong, from what I've been told.
Posted By: ratandjmt

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/05/15 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I was going to drive up from Lackland but think I will pass on hitting Dunlap this weekend. Too much current for me.

Edit. I was up in the area on Saturday and stopped by, good thing I didn't bring the boat. The water was actually white capping. There were 2 jet skies and one 21'ish trying to load. He was basically giving it everything he had to load and the current wasn't helping one bit. Hopefully the current will slow by this weekend.

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/08/15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: ratandjmt
Thanks for the info. I was going to drive up from Lackland but think I will pass on hitting Dunlap this weekend. Too much current for me.

Edit. I was up in the area on Saturday and stopped by, good thing I didn't bring the boat. The water was actually white capping. There were 2 jet skies and one 21'ish trying to load. He was basically giving it everything he had to load and the current wasn't helping one bit. Hopefully the current will slow by this weekend.

With Canyon still over 15' above pool level it seems that it's going to be a while before the current slows.
Posted By: OldCrow

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/11/15 01:25 PM

It sure does look like its going to be awhile. Went by the I-35 ramp yesterday and the water appears to be a another foot higher than in the photos above and the current is crazy fast. The place was a ghost town, glad to see that folks are staying safe and not trying to get out in that.
Posted By: HENDO

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/11/15 06:45 PM

Release from Cayon Damn right now...

Discharge, cubic feet per second
Most recent instantaneous value: 5,730 06-11-2015 13:00 CDT
Posted By: jugmaster

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/12/15 12:17 AM

All the bait and fish are in the first creek down from the public boat ramp
It's one of my favorite spots.
Go get some!!!!
Posted By: jugmaster

Re: Dunlap Lake - 06/12/15 12:29 AM

I should say you can catch rainbow trout up at the mill dam and white bass
I hope a bunch of strippers are being released from canyon and they eat all the trout and get big and fat!!
Many gar are also at the mill dam
Have fun and be safe.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum