Texas Fishing Forum

Lake athens

Posted By: spocker rocker 8001

Lake athens - 05/26/15 08:58 PM

Does anyone know if lake athens got real muddy after all this rain? Wanting to make a lil day trip, but pretty far drive to make if the lake is super muddy. Thanks for any news!

Re: Lake athens - 05/28/15 02:39 PM

Does no one share information anymore?
Posted By: standalone

Re: Lake athens - 05/28/15 05:27 PM

I heard several small lakes dams upstream gave way so probably still muddy. You might try calling a bait shop. Wish I could be more help.

Re: Lake athens - 05/28/15 09:39 PM

Thank you for the info. All of the lakes near home are super muddy or closed due to all the rain, so going to go to lake athens and if it is real bad looking just go on to lake fork
Posted By: BassBucknBeer

Re: Lake athens - 05/28/15 10:15 PM

I was there yesterday and the water clarity is just fine. Not muddy. The water is over the docks at the ramp, though.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Lake athens - 05/31/15 05:22 PM

Fished there three times in the last week. Ramp is open, fish are biting shallow and deep, some are schooling. Had a hard time getting them to bite a spinner bait as the fish are in the thickest vegetation. Did better on 5 inch hollow belly just tossing across the pads and letting bait drop into any openings, especially on banks that were wind blown.

Seemed to me that when sun came out they moved even more shallow where the pads were even thicker. Broke off a good one Saturday and then lost a true monster at net around around 11 a.m. . Working the bait brutally slow got the most bites. I didn't even try fishing deep as my ff was not working but know that some of my friends did very well deep as well. Anchor, let things settle down, quiet entry of bait, work slow to get bit. Its Athens, just go. cheers
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Lake athens - 05/31/15 08:21 PM

There were no dam breaks above Athens
The Athens Fish & Game reserve had an issue but their dam did not break.
Just lots of runoff water has Lake Athens really high. There is no gate at the Athens dam, just an outflow drain and more water is coming in than is draining out. There is a secondary overflow area at the Nirth end of the dam that keeps water from reaching the homes. But the lake is over full, boat ramp is open but docks are under water. Personal docks could be under water. Be careful and watch for snakes. They do want to get in your boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum