Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Buchanan

Posted By: Helotes Fishing Guy

Lake Buchanan - 06/26/18 06:10 PM

Looking at fishing Lake Buchanan in a couple of weeks. Any tips on how it has been as I have never fished that lake before. Thanks!
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Lake Buchanan - 06/27/18 10:45 AM

I fish it often for stripers and whites. I'm going for Largemouth on Friday. Will publish a report. I think this is a great lake with lots of bait and structure.
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Lake Buchanan - 06/27/18 04:10 PM

Went a few weeks ago for my first time, the wind was absolutely insane that day. We made due with what protected areas we could find and ended up doing pretty well. We found some deeper brush piles in some coves that produced numbers but our larger bites all came off fairly shallow docks targeting hard shade lines once the sun got up a little bit. Was using a Missile Baits Baby D Stroyer for the most part, but any creature bait seemed to be working better than the stick baits that day.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 06/28/18 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing
I fish it often for stripers and whites. I'm going for Largemouth on Friday. Will publish a report. I think this is a great lake with lots of bait and structure.

Oh, oh... wind will be in the 15s, gusting 25 tomorrow. Buch will be unbearable. I'll pick another battle an stay off Buch tomorrow
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Lake Buchanan - 06/29/18 05:24 PM

I am the Striper King on Buch.
Posted By: TexasTrader254

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/02/18 09:10 PM

Striper King, can you provide any tips? My son and I want to go out after the 4th and would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/03/18 04:48 PM

Get up early and net shad. Otherwise, hire a guide.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/04/18 03:03 PM

No suggestions on where on the lake or are those kingdom secrets? LOL
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/04/18 03:26 PM

We fished the mouth of the river in Feb. and caught a bunch of whites and few stripers. The key for us was thumping. I am a bass fisherman and only chase whites a couple times in the winter so not sure if that technique works this time of year. Just youtube thumping for white bass and see what I'm talking about. Actually Skunked again Fishing is on there demonstrating Buchanan Thumping.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/05/18 01:45 AM

This morning we got our [censored] handed to us. Good bait but no go. Down rigging is the key now. Fish are lethargic with the way LCRA is dropping the lake. Reactionary bite right now

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/05/18 02:53 PM

Thank you so much!

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/05/18 05:35 PM

What does nethraulgic mean?

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/06/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte

Sluggish, Lazy etc...With the water temps so hot and the LCRA dropping the lake fast to generate for $$$ The stripers get sluggish and I think kinda sickly feeling if that makes since. They want a bait moving. They are not necessarily wanting to eat but the hit out of instinct. More of a reactionary bite than anything else. Thats the reason the downriggers are killing them right now. I just hope the jackasses at LCRA don't drop the 20ft + in thirty days like they did a few yrs back. That caused a big fish kill.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/06/18 02:30 PM

hate typing on my phone spellcheck messed up lethargic. my bad lol

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/06/18 04:59 PM

ohh. I was hoping it was a mysterious nautical term that i hadn't heard yet.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/06/18 05:15 PM

Had me stumped too. Thought it was the new word of the day

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/06/18 06:16 PM

LOL only time I really can make up new words is when I do something stupid self-inflict myself to pain. And those words are PG rated.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/11/18 08:56 PM

I got a hook stuck in my hand and it caused a nethraulgic wound.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/14/18 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Minner Bucket
We fished the mouth of the river in Feb. and caught a bunch of whites and few stripers. The key for us was thumping. I am a bass fisherman and only chase whites a couple times in the winter so not sure if that technique works this time of year. Just youtube thumping for white bass and see what I'm talking about. Actually Skunked again Fishing is on there demonstrating Buchanan Thumping.
Minner Bucket, thanks for the plug. Yes, Buchanan is such an awesome lake with all the baitfish, and healthy gamefish. I'll thump like there's no tomorrow if I'm going after whites and stripers. I was at Buchanan yesterday large mouth fishing and was equally impressed with the LMB population.
Tim

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/14/18 08:47 AM

I got a hook stuck in my hand and it caused a nethraulgic wound.

Nethraulgic would be an equivalently good name for all the meds they're advertising on TV. "Take your Neth, and you too, can get back to fishing again" smile
Posted By: Green Fish

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/16/18 03:07 PM

I've been to Buchanan three times now and have only caught one Largemouth. Would you be able to at least provide what depth is working and what cover is best? Thanks.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/16/18 03:09 PM

I lost a behemoth right at the boat there one day on a flutter spoon in 30 FOW.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/17/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Fish
I've been to Buchanan three times now and have only caught one Largemouth. Would you be able to at least provide what depth is working and what cover is best? Thanks.

Seems like we are hitting most fish in the 30ft range.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/17/18 09:02 PM

Thanks. I guess I should have been more clear but I was looking for the depth and cover for Largemouth...not the Stripers and White Bass.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/17/18 11:12 PM

Thanks. I guess I should have been more clear but I was looking for the depth and cover for Largemouth...not the Stripers and White Bass.

For pickles I would fish up north and fish the flooded trees/willows. Always bass in those
Posted By: boocat

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/17/18 11:54 PM

Pretty fishy looking all up in there where you have to zig zag to get from lake to river

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/18/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BrandoA

For pickles I would fish up north and fish the flooded trees/willows. Always bass in those

Thanks. I will try up river on my next trip.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 07/18/18 08:11 PM

Look around pelican point amd that area. Max is always catching them around there.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Lake Buchanan - 08/07/18 06:21 PM

Made my first trip there yesterday. 7:30-11:30. Three bites, 2 fish. Both small. Frustrated so left & went to LBJ. Caught 6 in 3.5 hours.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Lake Buchanan - 08/08/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: fivebites
Made my first trip there yesterday. 7:30-11:30. Three bites, 2 fish. Both small. Frustrated so left & went to LBJ. Caught 6 in 3.5 hours.

Pretty much my limited experience on Buch, I think I’m a decent fisherman but that lake sucks for me!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum