Texas Fishing Forum

Memorial Day fishing

Posted By: Jake Blood

Memorial Day fishing - 05/30/18 03:47 PM

Hit the lake at about 5:45 on Memorial day hoping to get some chunks in the boat before the sun got too high in the sky for my pasty a$$.

There was very little breeze, water was about 82 degrees and I started shallow. Just 6 casts into the day, I caught a 4 and a half pounder on a square bill in about 4 feet of water. Great way to start the day.

Continued fishing the square bill and later switched to a crank bait for a bit, until I finally settled in with a weightless fluke which put another couple smaller fish in the boat. Towards the end of the day I was throwing a square bill once again as I was on my way out and caught this monster.

While I admire his ambition, this little guy needs to better pick his battles lol. Unfortunately for him the hook went through his eye and I don't think he is gonna make it.

All in all, I had a total of 5 fish... that includes Nemo. It was a tough day to be out there in that heat. It seems the last couple times I have been out, I have landed a couple fish in the first 30 minutes, and that after that the struggle gets real. I really need to learn to find and fish for bass when they go deep. If anyone ever wants to make a trip out and show me how it is done, I would be down for that.

That said, I had something happen to me that had never happen before. As I launched my boat an older fella came up and asked me if he could go fishing with me. Being wary of a stranger and having never been approached like that before, I said that I normally fish alone. He said thank you and walked off. As I started motoring out to the main lake I felt really bad and turned around to go pick him up but he was gone.

Has this happened to any of you, just a random ask at the launch? What did you do?
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 05/31/18 03:10 AM

Great post and pics thumb
Posted By: BigfootHunter

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 05/31/18 03:31 PM

Hey Jake. No, it’s never happened to me but I don’t have a boat. I don’t know if you are a believer, but as I read that part of your post I immediately thought of the Bible scripture that says, “when we help someone we may be entertaining Angels unaware”.
Whoa, that’s some strong stuff ! In this day and time, could he have pulled out a gun, shot you and pushed you over the edge of the boat ? Yes.
It’s a crazy world we live in now.
I still believe there is much more good than there is bad though. The good doesn’t make the evening news or the newspapers.

What would I have done ? I have no idea. It’s one of those things that you would just have to be there I guess.

If it had been a “fishing Angel” and you were being tested ?? I think you passed with flying colors, because you thought about it and went back. Doesn’t matter that he was gone, you went back, that’s what counts.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 06/01/18 04:41 PM

I find it amusing when those little guys get so aggressive.

Posted By: Paparon

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 06/01/18 08:21 PM

Nice bass!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 06/01/18 09:27 PM

Great post thanks for sharing thumb
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 07/01/18 05:51 AM

I have a story.
My father got me into Fishing and would take myself and some neighborhood friends with us all the time growing up.
I’ve been fishing with groups for 30 years now. So I don’t like to fish by myself. Sometimes I rather not go at all, than go alone. Sometimes when I get desperate I’ll share on Facebook to my friends if any one wants to go, most of the time no one wants to.
I posted one day and no one wanted to go. So I headed to the boat ramp solo. Some older gentleman started up a conversation with me as I was launching the boat. When I was all set I remembered how much I wanted someone to go fishing with and no one had wanted to go from my Facebook friends , so I asked the guy if he would like to join me. He said yes and went to park his car and came out with a drink and a sandwich. We caught some sand bass and talked about our different stages of life, relationships, and that was that.
I felt like God put him there cause he could see how desperatly I needed someone to fish(talk) with.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 07/01/18 04:17 PM

Facebook friends are the best! /s
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Memorial Day fishing - 07/10/18 09:14 PM

Well I don't think I will ever say no again.. unless it looks like a total mismatch lol...
It is kind of crazy how many times I think about it and wish I had said yes when he first asked me. Could of made his day, who knows.. he could of made mine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum