Texas Fishing Forum

Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake

Posted By: Champion_Rick

Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake - 05/09/18 03:48 PM

Never been here before and the only info I have is what I can see on my charts and the limited info from tpwd. Are there a good number of keeper spots in the lake or is it mostly largemouth? And are they generating or was it also one of the power plant lakes they shut down? If anyone has been in it recently and can give me a water temp to that would be great. Not able to get there to prefish so just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks
Posted By: pocfishin

Re: Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake - 05/10/18 01:26 AM

I can't help with fishing spots but......the lake has a fish consumption advisory issued by the Department of State Health Services.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/releases...-Reservoir.aspx
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake - 05/10/18 08:16 PM

it is an old reservoir built for the steel mill use and recreation in the 1940's, shoreline vegetation and boathouses are abundant, as for bass its mostly laregmouth up to 5 lbs pretty common, there are also spotted bass (aka kentuckies) white bass, yellow bass, prior to consumption advisories TPWD stocked hybrid stripers but they are gone now. Channel cats , few flatheads, the usual carp & buffalo, bluegill & redears, the rebreast sunfish on Lone Star get pretty big ( 1/2 lb or so)
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake - 05/10/18 11:31 PM

Fished it Mon. & Tues. We caught most of our Bass on the west side in the reeds and under docks. Best area was on main lake with deeper water of 4ft+ on weightless baits. Lots of brim in shallow water and grass all over the lake.

Good luck. fish

Re: Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake - 05/10/18 11:47 PM

Awesome thanks for the help I’ve got a lot of things marked on my graph that look good over on that west side so at least it looks like I might be on the right track but that can change a lot in another 2 weeks. That’s creek arm in the southwest corner and that long shallow point leading into it is where I was planning on starting because it just looks too good
Posted By: J-SPENCER

Re: Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake - 05/11/18 05:02 PM

I fished there in April for the first time. Literally smoked the spotted bass on the dam. Drop shot, wacky worm and shaky head.

Re: Ellison Creek/Lonestar Lake - 05/11/18 08:10 PM

Nice I did the same thing with the spots at Cypress in March except they were crushing a jerkbait. Did they have any size to them as in over 14”?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum