Texas Fishing Forum

Monticello 4/30/18

Posted By: lconn4

Monticello 4/30/18 - 05/01/18 06:32 PM

Headed over to Monti yesterday (Monday) to see what was going on there. Disappointed when driving by Bob Sandlin and it was white capping as far as you could see. On the water around 1:30, three other boaters in the parking lot, dock completely out of water. Have wind at my back and headed to the far north end. Didn't take my graph as I wanted to stay in the pads and didn't want to be tempted to throw flutter spoons or deep crank baits. Hug the west shoreline past the big bridge and see lots of sandy beach...the new normal I guess. bang

I didn't know it at the time but the boats below were three new ones to me, to go along with two others I've seen earlier this year.

Hard to say at this point if fiberglass or aluminum holds up better to Monti stumps.

It became more a sightseeing tour than fishing as the water was so messed up along west side even in the pads that were just starting to grow. Found an area where I got bit twice on swimbiat but missed them both, didn't feel like paddling back up wind and drifting back over same area so just went with the flow.

Paddled to the far north, as far as I could, past all the pads when I saw this stuff. It was only 2 to 3 inches deep at the edge of it, but from a distance I thought this would be the spot.

Followed the shore line back around and came to whats left of the creek, had been much further up it before but when water levels were much higher years ago. I didn't even realize that was a bird skeleton until I saw the picture on my laptop.

Paddle back along shore line just looking at all the stuff... lots of big gar shallow, tried to sneak up on pelicans and vultures hanging out on the bank... fail. Finally make it into a protected cove with pads and decide to fish an almost weightless fluke. Winds still swirling around but started catching only because I slowed way down in my opinion. Figured that's what it would take but didn't have anchor with me as I hate fishing as slow as it was taking to get bit... unless I'm working on a skunk. roflmao

Head on up to fish behind the railroad bride. Wind laying down, usually that's where I would have started the day but knew if I started catching I would have never left and I did want to see the other areas I haven't fished in a while. Getting late and fish start biting. Mostly 2 lb pounders but water is much clearer the further back you go. All on swimbaits on underspin. Only one other boater and they are shooting carp. Good to see them with a big trash can on their boat. cheers

Finally got a monster.

At least I thought I had. Saw its head and its tail in the fight. It was when I pulled it out of the water that I got a good look. bang

Didn't even weigh or measure it. roflmao

I think aliens are responsible.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Monticello 4/30/18 - 05/01/18 08:26 PM

Alien's name is Obama! His EPA coal restrictions.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Monticello 4/30/18 - 05/04/18 09:51 PM

Good report and thanks for sharing.
We came close one night to donating a boat to Monti but made it barely back to the ramp with a hole the size of my fist.
I don't know if I could go back again and handle what it looks like now.
At least I still have many good memories from there and many more places in East Texas to fish.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Monticello 4/30/18 - 05/05/18 12:03 AM

Another interesting report, always enjoy reading your posts.
Posted By: Lone Star Ranger

Re: Monticello 4/30/18 - 05/17/18 02:15 AM

Good report!
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Monticello 4/30/18 - 05/25/18 11:22 PM

Great bews
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Monticello 4/30/18 - 06/01/18 08:29 PM

Nice report, good read and great photos.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Monticello 4/30/18 - 06/02/18 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: TxDanFishMan
Good report and thanks for sharing.
We came close one night to donating a boat to Monti but made it barely back to the ramp with a hole the size of my fist.
I don't know if I could go back again and handle what it looks like now.
At least I still have many good memories from there and many more places in East Texas to fish.

Talk about half full or half empty, I never thought that old Skeeter would have stayed afloat for that 45 minutes back to the ramp, but she did. We were very fortunate that January day had warmed up to 70 during the day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum