Texas Fishing Forum

Deer lease pond

Posted By: Chris B

Deer lease pond - 09/26/17 07:42 PM

We have a 10 acre pond that's about 15' deep at the dam. Water stays fairly clear and has a good amount of grass and shoreline cover in it. It only has bass, bream and minnows. The water has been full for the last few years and the bass got real healthy looking in the last year. It seems like it has hit a wall where the largest bass tend to be about 4 pounds and i'm starting to see some skinny fish again. There appears to be plenty of bait and I have been doing my best to take some small fish out. I've probably taken out 100 in the last year. We have a new owner that may be a little more receptive to making improvements to the pond. Wondering what else we could be doing?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Deer lease pond - 09/26/17 10:13 PM

Take a good look at the forage base; bluegills. A predator needs prey that is 1/4 to 1/3 it's size. It's a matter of calories obtained vs calories(energy) burned to get the groceries. Also, a predator needs to eat 10 pounds of prey to gain one pound. There are other considerations but these are a couple of the basics.
Posted By: salex

Re: Deer lease pond - 09/27/17 05:04 PM

If the bass are getting thin, you likely have a forage issue. 90% of lakes we survey the owner thinks they have "lots" of forage (bluegill/redear/shinners/shad/minnows). And in virtually all cases they do not have enough. The amount of food a bass eats is astonishing. Removing 100 small bass (1/2 to 1 lb) from a 10 acre pond is likely 1/4 to 1/3 of what you need to remove. Try getting more aggressive with your harvest and see if the weights come up. Moreover, try a measure and weigh a few fish and compare to a relative weight chart. Again, my experience is that most landowners think their fish are "healthy" (meaning their weight is where it should be. But most over estimate their weight by 5% to 15%. Anything over 95% is good. Anything below 85% is poor. 85% to 95% your doing OK.

If your not familar with how to use a relative weight chart here is a chart and brief article.

Relative Weight Chart
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Deer lease pond - 09/29/17 08:38 PM

we always take a pound of minnows & dump them in ours
Posted By: WackyRigger

Re: Deer lease pond - 09/29/17 09:33 PM

Where is it and can I fish there? roflmao
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Deer lease pond - 10/25/17 03:30 PM

If you need help harvesting fish, let me know. I have a kayak so I could help get to the fish and harvest anything under 14 inches.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Deer lease pond - 10/25/17 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: WackyRigger
Where is it and can I fish there? roflmao

me too
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Deer lease pond - 10/30/17 07:13 PM

Me three. ;-)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum