Texas Fishing Forum

How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat?

Posted By: danwill12

How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/20/16 01:25 AM

Looking at re claiming a wetland that needs the pond re done. We have all sorts of rules that do not prohibit a dragline used to clean out footprint. But it is loaded with turtle and the fish are suffering. If the state gets involved my kids will be old men before we get this done. Cannot poison as this flows into one of my best lakes. Getting the Gators out is not a problem, it is the blasted turtles. Maybe pump out the 5 acres and collect the game fish. I'm searching for ideas.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/20/16 02:04 AM

I have never seen turtles to be predatory or even a problem. I consider them as the buzzards of the pond.

Re: How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/20/16 02:46 AM

Dave, I hope you are right.
Posted By: Techsan4

Re: How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/20/16 03:00 AM

What makes you think the turtles are a problem?

Re: How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/20/16 04:02 AM

It is either the gators or the turtles. Fish are way short for this age of a pond. At 8' deep it was not a winter type problem here in Fl. But we can not find any fish of size in it. 5 acre it should be in better health. More study I suppose. Might be an oxygen problem I can not see at this time of year.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/20/16 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: danwill12
It is either the gators or the turtles. ....

Not the turtles...small ponds with bass normally must be managed to remove small bass or they will overpopulate and stunt. Too many bass competing for too few fish. The gators also likely have reduced the available forage leaving little left for too many bass. Remove gators, remove bass (everything under 12 inches) and watch the remaining bass flourish. Consider adding Tilapia also as they will take pressure off the other forage fish by producing prolific forage.

Measure progress with relative weights...this time next year you will be very pleased at the results.
Posted By: Bill77

Re: How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/20/16 03:11 PM

Although turtles aren't a threat to healthy fish, I'm wondering if they take a toll on the spring fish spawns.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How many bass can a soft shell turtle eat? - 03/21/16 12:05 AM

Bass, and catfish, will actually do a number on small turtles.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum