Texas Fishing Forum

Almost a year old!!!

Posted By: BrandoA

Almost a year old!!! - 02/18/16 09:39 PM

Well the Camelots that we stocked last year are approaching their 1st birthday. I am hoping that with the warm weather I will start seeing them moving into the shallower water so I can see them. Curious to see what kind of growth they had. The forage was stocked 3 yrs before we put any bass in!!! The forage fish stocked were FHM, Coppernose BG, Red Ears and last spring Threadfin shad. They should have plenty to eat for the next few years !!!
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Almost a year old!!! - 02/19/16 01:00 PM

Sounds like you're doing it right. I have a friend who bulldozed a huge hole in the ground out near Jacksboro. Clear cut the hole (nothing in it), then let it fill up with rain water over the course of a year. Now he's talking about stocking it soon. I keep telling him that if he takes his time, and plans/prepares the pond the right way, it'll come out better. But he just says "add the fish, and the rest will work itself out". No baitfish stocking the year or two before...nothing.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Almost a year old!!! - 02/19/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound
Sounds like you're doing it right. I have a friend who bulldozed a huge hole in the ground out near Jacksboro. Clear cut the hole (nothing in it), then let it fill up with rain water over the course of a year. Now he's talking about stocking it soon. I keep telling him that if he takes his time, and plans/prepares the pond the right way, it'll come out better. But he just says "add the fish, and the rest will work itself out". No baitfish stocking the year or two before...nothing.

Thanks. The only game fish stocked were bass. We put in 1000. No other game fish will be stocked intentionally. We have 3 other ponds that I stocked with catfish and going to stock a 3.5-4 acre pond with crappie just for kicks. But this lake is my baby and really want to make a special fishery out of it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum