Texas Fishing Forum

lures for ponds

Posted By: ryan1

lures for ponds - 08/02/14 08:54 AM

What are top 5 lures that yall would pick to be successful fishing in ponds? I've tried a few different ones but had no success, any advice is greatly appreciated
Posted By: Chatterbait

Re: lures for ponds - 08/03/14 02:02 PM

Zoom Tiny fluke, albino color fished on a 1/32nd oz jig head. Silver mepps spinner size 1 or 0. 1" and 2" swim n minnow by Luck E Strike lure Co. on a 1/8th oz jig head. I prefer white or chartreuse jig heads. Use no heavier than 6lb. line when you toss them. I've caught large and smaller fish with these and an assortment of fish as well.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: lures for ponds - 08/04/14 12:03 AM

1/8 oz Rooster Tail spinner.
1/8 or 1/4 oz Road Runner.
Hula Popper on still water and sundown.
Topwater frog on still water and sundown.
Posted By: TXGARRET

Re: lures for ponds - 08/04/14 03:09 PM

Spinner, Rattletrap, swimbait, any kind of topwater, and anything texas rigged. If you cant catch em on those, then they arent biting.
Posted By: Eastexn

Re: lures for ponds - 08/04/14 06:12 PM

Hard to beat a 6" or 7" plastic worm. Purple/red tail or watermelon red. I also like a slightly smaller spinner bait in white or chartreuse.

Early morning on slick water use any medium size topwater baits or plastic frogs. I still like the old Hula Popper.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: lures for ponds - 08/04/14 10:21 PM

I agree that the Hula Popper is a cheap topwater that works in the morning and evenings.

Throw a 1/6 oz. Rooster-tail (white/silver, chartreuse, or frog-type colors) anytime.

Small Senko worms, weightless texas-rigged (watermelon for clear water, and black with red or blue flake for dirty water). Use anytime.

Good ol' yellow Beetlespin in the late afternoons/evenings, and mornings.

Lastly, I'd use a skirted spinnerbait, or a buzz-bait (white, chartreuse, or yellow skirts).

Scott in Flower Mound

Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: lures for ponds - 08/05/14 03:38 AM

Retrieve lures with a spinning blade (Rooster Tail, Road Runner, Beetle Spin) slowly. I've fished with folks who churn those through the water like a torpedo and they don't catch anything, while I retrieve nice and slow and twitch now and then and get bites.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: lures for ponds - 08/29/14 07:31 PM

#11 original balsa Rapala - about 4.5" long - gold when cloudy, silver when not; twitch and pop it on surface a few times, then retrieve fast

H&H single willow spin with ball bearing swivel; retrieve it just under surface to leave wake

4" Texas-rigged worm with 1/8 or 1/16 oz slip sinker

Hollow body Frog

1/4 oz. Rattletrap

Re: lures for ponds - 08/29/14 07:37 PM

#11 original balsa Rapala - about 4.5" long - gold when cloudy, silver when not

H&H single willow spin with ball bearing swivel; retrieve just under surface to leave wake

4" Texas-rigged worm

Hollow body Frog

1/4 oz. Rattletrap
Posted By: Chatterbait

Re: lures for ponds - 08/29/14 09:49 PM

This morning on a Zoom Tiny Fluke and 1/16 oz jig head on 6 lb. line. (6.5-7 lbs.) When this jumped (3 times) it was like a bowling ball being dropped in the pond.

Posted By: the catcher

Re: lures for ponds - 08/30/14 02:25 AM

5" Senko wacky rigged
Keitech 3.5" Swing Impact
TX Rig Baby Brush Hog
Rooster Tail
Buckeye spot remover shaky head with a hags tornado
Posted By: msg_f91

Re: lures for ponds - 08/30/14 07:02 AM

black zoom horny toad (T-Rig weighted and slow retrieved)
Orange and char RoadRunner
White and Char spinnerbait
Medium sized silver trap (blue on top or black)
Small Sized Silver trap (blue on top or black)
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: lures for ponds - 08/30/14 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: phototex
#11 original balsa Rapala - about 4.5" long - gold when cloudy, silver when not

H&H single willow spin with ball bearing swivel; retrieve just under surface to leave wake

4" Texas-rigged worm

Hollow body Frog

1/4 oz. Rattletrap

+1
Posted By: UncleJed

Re: lures for ponds - 09/17/14 09:48 PM

Wow ! That makes it easy...Just about anything you find in your local Academy store! stir
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: lures for ponds - 09/21/14 01:43 AM

My 2cents

For ponds which is pretty much all I fish anyway, I'll say you can be successful with just about anything except you know something that is ridiculous like say a deep diving crank bait...Lol.

My favs are:
1) Texas rigged 4 or 5 inch yum dinger or senko, weightless, I like watermelon and red flake. One tip I recommend with worms is squeeze down the barb on your hook, bass will swallow them when they take them lightly and it makes removing the hook with minimal damage better.

2) Texas rigged zoom swim fluke jr. I put a small split shot weight on the line in front of the lure, don't squeeze down the barb on the hook just cast it out and slow steady retrieve, I like shad colors.

3) Rooster tails 1/6 ounce and 1/16 ounce and 1/4 can't go wrong as long as the grass or moss isn't bad, these lures hang up easy. All inline spinners are great I definitely prefer them this time of year late summer and all through the fall when the vegetation starts to die off. I like white or silver the most but yellow, chartreuse, pink, fire tiger, black, and so on are all good to have.

4) Shallow cranks also work great in ponds nothing that goes deeper than 2 foot in my opinion I prefer the ones that stay at about 1 foot. I have been using a little minnow sized rapala that catches everything but also like my recently purchased Mann's baby minus 1, Academy's H2O brand has some nice looking shallow runners that look really nice as well.

5) Also had luck with black and blue flake craw fish patterned soft plastics in ponds. Especially the Berkeley Power bait Chigger craws my only gripe is they aren't cheap and they tear up real easy but they have a strong oder and I had a lot a luck with them.

I have more favorites including top water stuff that are fun but these have been my most successful lures to use. Lots of other good suggestion on here as well. The best way to have success is to keep trying. Some days are dramatically better than others. I started off using plastic worms because they are easy to use and they are in my opinion the best thing that will catch bass and then started to try other lures and techniques. Good luck.

Re: lures for ponds - 09/23/14 01:44 PM

Nice fish, Chatterbait!!!
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: lures for ponds - 10/13/14 07:43 PM

For somewhat small ponds:

Round 1 around the pond:
Manns 1-
H2O Express Popper
Buzzbait
Pink Trick Worm
Spinnerbait
(add a frog bait for overly weedy ponds)

Round 2/heavy fishing:
Senko
Texas Rigged Worm
Weightless natural colored trick worm
Posted By: barryfish

Re: lures for ponds - 11/07/14 06:57 PM

when in doubt pull the senko out. that is all.... continue
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: lures for ponds - 11/08/14 09:43 PM

5 rattle traps
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: lures for ponds - 03/03/15 05:13 PM

Sounds crazy but a johnsons silver minnow cast into deeper water and allow to sink then bringnoff bottom always worked for me before I got the trophy striper bug. And for shallower ponds you can't beat a black worm rigged Texas style. IMO
Posted By: ralph

Re: lures for ponds - 03/05/15 11:16 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned a jig. I use 1/8 oz. black/blue Bitsy Bug jig and same colored craw trailer.
Also, 4 inch black yamamoto cut tail worm on a slider spider jig 1/16 or 1/8 oz.
1/16 or 1/8 oz Brown roadrunner
silver Rapala floating minnow # 7 (I think)
watermelon black flake 5 inch Senko.

I will be adding some rooster tail inline spinners to my arsenal based on all the recommendations in this thread. Thanks for the good advice!
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: lures for ponds - 03/06/15 10:19 PM

Rapala minnow is good. Yozuri is good as well.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: lures for ponds - 03/10/15 12:17 PM

7 inch Zoom watermelon redflake u-tail worm t-rigged
Small shallow diving bluegill colored crank bait
Spro baby popper frog in natural color
Beetle spins
Spook jr
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: lures for ponds - 03/10/15 11:03 PM

LFT Ring Fry
Posted By: marcus254

Re: lures for ponds - 03/12/15 03:17 PM

got alot of minnows around the banks use road runners or inline spinners, frogs croaking all over the pond use frogs, crawdad scurrying from bank or fresh holes all over the banks use craw lures, lots of bluegill etc. each pond is diffrent match whats around the natural area for best results. At least thats what id do.
Posted By: gmosaucedo

Re: lures for ponds - 03/22/15 07:30 PM

Drop shot 4" black chopper finesse worm
Wacky rigged 5" Senko slim
Yamamoto fluke-bone- 1/16 oz weighted hook
2-4' shallow diving square bill crank bait
Texas rigged chigger craw

Drop shot is my go to. Rip some lips!
Posted By: spazm09

Re: lures for ponds - 05/15/15 04:53 PM

By far my favorite lure in a pond is a buzzbait. I use white or chartreuse during morning/daytime and a black one in the evening and at night. It's alot of fun to listen to the "buzz" at night, not being able to see anything at all and then... BAM!!! You'll hear the fish nail it before you can feel the bite on your rod.

I also like the pop-r top water bait for a slower retreive.
Posted By: IdRaTherBeCasting

Re: lures for ponds - 05/18/15 03:16 AM

I really love pond fishing... still to this day a bass I caught from a small pond as a kid is the biggest bass I ever caught..
but it depends on the pond.. some are deep with little to no weeds.. some are so moss covered you need a frog, or a weedless weightless senko just to get to fish it... some are a combo of both..some are hard to fish and some are much easier...

So you've got to be versatile.. to me topwaters will yield the biggest bass, but you can't use them all the time.. cloudy days, and when its not blazing hot are a great time for them... if I had to pick 4 lures to take.. even though I love buzz baits and frog fishing.. it would be easy..
1.Fluke- watermelon seed
2.powerworm- blue fleck
3.Senko- watermelon
4. ZARA SPOOK
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: lures for ponds - 05/19/15 05:06 PM

In addition to what has been already shared, consider a Zoom lizard. I like the 4" ones fished weedless and weightless. Bass will often annihilate it as it falls after your first cast.
Posted By: texdanm

Re: lures for ponds - 07/05/15 05:06 AM

4” curly tail worm Texas rigged with 1/8 worm weight (Purple/red fire tail)
2” curly tail grub on 1/8 oz jig head, gold spinner harness (Triple ripple)
4” Zoom Fluke hook in nose with worm hook no weight (Baby Bass)
3/8 oz H&H double Colorado blade spinner bait (Chartreuse/white)
2” Hunched back Rebel wake bait (White, silver, Blue top)

I like to make my own hooks for the small plastics. I use the light wire gold hooks in appropriate sizes. They are easy to bend and with 6 to 8 lb line I've never had one fail me. The colors vary. I usually carry an assortment. In the spring I may substitute 4” lizards for the 4” worms. The Wake bait is a good stop and go top-water bait or if cranked to will run about a foot deep. Cranked real slowly it makes a wake and works great.

If I were to add to this I would add a small chartreuse buzz bait and a popper or prop bait. I usually have these in couple of little bitty tackle boxes and baggies. I carry it all with a stringer and pliers in a Carpenters nail apron.
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: lures for ponds - 07/06/15 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: texdanm
4” curly tail worm Texas rigged with 1/8 worm weight (Purple/red fire tail)
2” curly tail grub on 1/8 oz jig head, gold spinner harness (Triple ripple)
4” Zoom Fluke hook in nose with worm hook no weight (Baby Bass)
3/8 oz H&H double Colorado blade spinner bait (Chartreuse/white)
2” Hunched back Rebel wake bait (White, silver, Blue top)

Don't be giving away all the secrets now lol
Posted By: Kickin_Bass_2015

Re: lures for ponds - 07/14/15 01:51 AM

1/2oz Rocketshad puts off a vibration that seriously offends the bass in small waters.
Posted By: Blazer95

Re: lures for ponds - 07/26/15 03:06 PM

Texas-rig worms and H&H single Colorado blade
Posted By: DAOutdoors

Re: lures for ponds - 09/16/15 04:04 AM

Lake Fork Trophy Lures Live Magic Shad
5" Senko
Zoom Speed Craw
Square Bill Crankbait
Finess Jig
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: lures for ponds - 09/20/15 07:04 PM

Like mentioned above H&H spinner baits my goto bait! You can fish it shallow, deep & also as a top water! Very versitile bait.. Get some
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: lures for ponds - 09/21/15 10:43 AM

It all depends on the size of the pond and how often it is fished.
Posted By: chas1

Re: lures for ponds - 11/22/15 10:04 PM

A worm will always work.
Posted By: ricrod

Re: lures for ponds - 12/15/15 05:13 AM

Around McKinney I have had great luck with tube jigs with a spinner to help through any moss...I like the bubble gum colors...
Posted By: FLW_01

Re: lures for ponds - 01/22/16 11:26 PM

Spook Jr or a T rigged craw
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum