Texas Fishing Forum

twin lakes plano

Posted By: Basstoes

twin lakes plano - 02/07/12 10:06 PM

I was skunked today in about 2 hrs of fishing. Anybody had any luck there recently?

Posted By: JW.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/07/12 11:39 PM

i caught one 3 weeks ago on a swim bait and have been 2 times since then and nothing.

Posted By: Labman

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/08/12 12:13 AM

I'm going to hit them in the am, will post how I did.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/08/12 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Labman
I'm going to hit them in the am, will post how I did.

Hmmm. Taking the day off? popcorn

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/08/12 04:35 AM

I threw spinners, square bills, hags, and hypersticks...but didnt even get a bite. Finally gave up and started jigging for panfish and crappie....nothing! Labman, look forward to your report. Let me know when you go, and maybe two can unsolve the puzzle.

Posted By: onthebank

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/13/12 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JW.
i caught one 3 weeks ago on a swim bait and have been 2 times since then and nothing.

I think we talked that day. Were you the guy in the long sleeve white shirt with brown hair. I think using a Shaimano Calcutta or a round Abu of some sort?

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/13/12 05:12 PM

Me and another TFF'r, DRan met up there last week and caught a few but no big girls yet. It was 42 degrees and WINDY when we caught em.

I live in the neighborhood and fish there almost daily so I will post when the bite is on. Be sure to bring your licenses with you though. The warden was there a few weeks ago.

Posted By: fai

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/13/12 05:51 PM

Have been there a number of times over the past 3 weeks. Only had one bite and luckily landed it. Fish weighed in at 8-7 caught on a red 5/8 oz rattle trap in NE corner of North pond.

Can't seem to get bit at all in those ponds. I hope it picks up here in a little while.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/14/12 01:16 AM

yes that was me.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/14/12 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: fai
Have been there a number of times over the past 3 weeks. Only had one bite and luckily landed it. Fish weighed in at 8-7 caught on a red 5/8 oz rattle trap in NE corner of North pond.

Can't seem to get bit at all in those ponds. I hope it picks up here in a little while.

Pics?

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/14/12 05:48 AM

Unfortunately not...I know the routine of no pics -didn't happen.

The fish inhaled the rattle trap and was bleeding badly. There was a lady with 3 grand kids who walked over to me. I had to walk to my bag and get the pliers (and weigh her) and it took way longer than it should have to get the fish back in the water. My two concerns were getting the fish back safely and not ruining the image of fishing due to all the blood for the little 4 year old boy looking over my shoulder.

The fish was released and she swam away just fine.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/14/12 07:18 PM

I've heard of big bass like this being caught out of these ponds but no pics above 4pounds

Posted By: Draeden

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/14/12 10:47 PM

I've heard of big bass like this being caught out of these ponds but no pics above 4pounds

This guy was caught today right around the time of your post. I didn't have my scale on me, but he's easily 5+ lbs. 18 1/2 inches.

Click for pic

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/15/12 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: D Ran

This guy was caught today right around the time of your post. I didn't have my scale on me, but he's easily 5+ lbs. 18 1/2 inches.

Click for pic

i guess i stand corrected huh.. what you get him on

Posted By: Draeden

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/15/12 06:06 AM

He was caught on a bluegill natural color trap

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/15/12 06:52 AM

apparently rattle traps are the way to go in these ponds. I will have to give it a shot tomorrow. fingers crossed.

Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/15/12 06:56 AM

Where exactly are the twin lakes located?

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/15/12 07:25 AM

take north tollway north, turn right (east) on coit, then right on campbell. I believe thats right. cant miss them...one on each side of the road.

Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/15/12 11:12 AM

I know all you guys are good about it, but if yall see anyone taking fish out of there encourage them to release them. Those ponds are awesome fisheries with giant fish. The cormorants have already done a pretty good number on them over the last year. When the fish get on beds in spring you can see some monsters. My PB is out of those ponds (10 lb 13 oz) and I've caught probably 10 fish over 7 pounds. Good luck to you guys. Can't wait to get home for spring break and get out there.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/17/12 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Basstoes
apparently rattle traps are the way to go in these ponds. I will have to give it a shot tomorrow. fingers crossed.

any luck?

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/17/12 07:53 PM

I was ut there this morning from 7:45-9:00 and got skunked. I will be there this weekend for sure though. I have a new lipless I need to break in!

Posted By: thumbhookedagain

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/17/12 09:53 PM

I've fished North and South many times and never had any luck. It's on my drive home from work so I always hit them in the evening 7pm-8pm. I've been told the North pond has the monsters. If there's a trick I don't know it, but if anyone catches anything there please pic and post. Good Luck,

Posted By: TxPacker4

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/17/12 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
I know all you guys are good about it, but if yall see anyone taking fish out of there encourage them to release them. Those ponds are awesome fisheries with giant fish. The cormorants have already done a pretty good number on them over the last year. When the fish get on beds in spring you can see some monsters. My PB is out of those ponds (10 lb 13 oz) and I've caught probably 10 fish over 7 pounds. Good luck to you guys. Can't wait to get home for spring break and get out there.
I was there a couple months ago, and there was about a 12 year old kid that walked up and had several bass on a stringer. Most were under 14 inches. Biggest was about 2lbs. I walked up with my tape and asked if i could measure them, and all but 2 were under. I told him he needed to release them but he refused, very rudely. I explained the law, and he said it was very unlikely the a game warden would show up, so I pulled out my phone and showed him several GW numbers and told him I could make one appear. He rolled his eyes and let ALL the fish go. I don't like being that way, but I will obey the law, and make sure it's being obeyed.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/17/12 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TxPacker4
I was there a couple months ago, and there was about a 12 year old kid that walked up and had several bass on a stringer. Most were under 14 inches. Biggest was about 2lbs. I walked up with my tape and asked if i could measure them, and all but 2 were under. I told him he needed to release them but he refused, very rudely. I explained the law, and he said it was very unlikely the a game warden would show up, so I pulled out my phone and showed him several GW numbers and told him I could make one appear. He rolled his eyes and let ALL the fish go. I don't like being that way, but I will obey the law, and make sure it's being obeyed.

And we thank you for it. I live there and try to do the same and hate to see someone blatantly disrespect CPR.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/18/12 05:23 AM

Would you mind posting the numbers for the game warden or a link to where i can find them please?

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/18/12 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Kris_Karl
Would you mind posting the numbers for the game warden or a link to where i can find them please?

These are the Wardens that work this area.
Game Warden's #'s
Martin- (214) 886-4074
Sergio- (972) 754-2934
Jamie- (214) 901-8370
Operation Game Thief- (800) 792-4263

Posted By: jbaseball33

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/18/12 11:51 AM

do guys know if you can use a bass hunter type boat there?

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/18/12 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jbaseball33
do guys know if you can use a bass hunter type boat there?
Probably not. I wouldn't. Would just scare the fish..

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/18/12 06:01 PM

TxPacker4.... Thanks for posting the GW numbers. I now have them in my phone. I've had to tell people that the fish they were trying to keep were illegal to keep and they just brushed me off. I felt bad because I didn't have the backup to do anything about it. Now I do.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/19/12 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Kris_Karl
TxPacker4.... Thanks for posting the GW numbers. I now have them in my phone. I've had to tell people that the fish they were trying to keep were illegal to keep and they just brushed me off. I felt bad because I didn't have the backup to do anything about it. Now I do.
No prob! We've got a long way to go, but the more we can do to stop the nonsense, the better our fishing holes will be.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/20/12 02:00 AM

anyone fish here this weekend?

Posted By: BradCrow4

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/27/12 09:12 PM

What's the water temp? Any beds spotted yet?

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/27/12 09:30 PM

havent been out in about 3 weeks. with the warm weather this week...I wouldnt be surprised to see some beds popping up. hopefully I get a chance to get out there this week sometime...will post what I see

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/28/12 06:33 PM

Was out there Sat-yesterday and didn't see any beds yet. I did see a few that were still staging about 10-12 ft from the bank and was able to get chased on a lipless but no takers. I think next week will be a different story.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/28/12 10:26 PM

I think I am running by here in about an hour after work. Will post a report.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/28/12 11:17 PM

Was out on Thurs last week and had a couple small ones 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. One on chartreuse ring fry and one on watermelon red rattlesnake.

Got a crazy hair and threw a light 1/8 oz A-Rig to emd the day and hooked a double. Both fish looked to be 4-5 lb fish, but I never landed them. I got hung up by some kind of wire mesh netting in the NE corner of the North lake. Be careful if you are slow rolling anything on the bottom in that area. The netting is located about 10-15 feet before the North end of the lake on the East side. I tried to pull the netting out of the water with my hands but it is connected to something and couldn't get it out.

I did see 3 fish staging in the rocks in my walk around the lake. Should be turning on soon.

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/29/12 12:49 AM

good stuff fai...thanks alot for the report

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/29/12 10:16 PM

got skunked today. fished for about 2 hours...an hour in each pond. threw red trap, chart spinnerbait, green/grey trap, and a shallow diving chrome crank. no takers. south pond has small fry and baitfish all over the banks. there are thousands of them. saw two monsters swimming around the north side of the south pond. couldnt get them to go after anything. dont know if there is a bed there or not. did not see any beds, but doesnt mean they are not there. was going to switch to plastics...but decided to call it a day instead. saw alot of small 6 in bass running around as well.

Posted By: jagg

Re: twin lakes plano - 02/29/12 10:57 PM

Switch to plastics! Tubes, Craws, Finesses Worms, Paddle Tail and Split Tail Grubs (Yum Wooly Beavertail). Blind casting or sight fishing, these will get it done. Put some red/orange marker or dye on the tips of the claws or other appendages and your odds get better still! cheers

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/01/12 12:05 AM

sounds like you have had success at this pond...or are you just saying in general. next time I go, I will be throwing plenty of plastics at them though.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/02/12 03:03 AM

If you throw lipless try something they haven't seen much. I got chased by one of the monsters on a one knocker last weekend but she figured out what it was just before the strike. It was a straight reaction strike, not normal feeding behavior. These fish get everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them. Figure out what the sink is and you will hook up.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/05/12 07:50 AM

Hmm... I wonder how well light line and minnows might work... hmmm

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/05/12 05:48 PM

light line and minnows always works well...but if one of those monsters hits it....hold on

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/05/12 10:49 PM

this place baffles me. skunked again. that's 3 straight. I've been killing em at all my other local spots...this means war.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/06/12 04:37 AM

light line and minnows always works well...but if one of those monsters hits it....hold on
Haha my buddy Carey caught a 7lbr a few days ago with 4lb flouro. Was a sight to see!

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/06/12 02:58 PM

Haha my buddy Carey caught a 7lbr a few days ago with 4lb flouro. Was a sight to see!

minnow?

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/06/12 05:32 PM

this place baffles me. skunked again. that's 3 straight. I've been killing em at all my other local spots...this means war.

These fish are extremely spooky and get a ton of pressure. Make a few adjustments like wearing natural colored clothing, standing farther away from the bank, etc. The water is pretty clear. I had a monster violently chase a lippless crank 2 weeks ago and then back off within 3 feet of the bank once she got a look at me. My fault for wearing a white t-shirt. Also slow down whatever presentation you are using unless of course it is live bait.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/07/12 03:39 AM

minnow?
Drifting a Fin-S shad hooked through the nose like a real minnnow.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/07/12 04:47 AM

I may have to break out the mighty bite as this sucker...dont make me do it. may even use two scent sticks. haha

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/07/12 05:50 AM

Break down and throw a weightless senko or a tube. If you don't catch one that way the first and second round are on me. I live 200 yards from there and have for 5 yrs. I just figured these ponds out in the last 9 months. I will be there on Saturday. Send me a PM and I will be the guide.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/07/12 04:27 PM

Thanks alot for the tip and the offer...I will be at Fork for ten days (Frid - Sun)trying to figure those fish out. I may give it another shot this week if the rain stays away long enough....but I will PM you next time I go, to see if you are around town. Thanks again

Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/07/12 10:56 PM

Caught a 6lber there last year on a weightless fluke.... but you didnt hear that from me lol... green pumpkin magic was the color for me.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/10/12 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery
Caught a 6lber there last year on a weightless fluke.... but you didnt hear that from me lol... green pumpkin magic was the color for me.
There's tons of huge fish in those ponds. I caught a 7lb female off a bed last year in the south pond. She had 2 males both about 5lbs beside her. Took forever for her to hit a green pepper lizzard. literally sat there for hours until I pissed her off enough to hit it. I WAS NOT leaving until I caught her.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/12/12 09:12 PM

Stopped and checked out both ponds yersterday afternoon. The water was still pretty stained, must be from the rain I'm assuming. This time last year I was able to see really far out from the bank.

Hopefully it will cler up in a few days and we will be able to spot bed fish.

Posted By: MarksinTexas

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/13/12 03:03 AM

Did anyone see the Pacu/Pirahna looking fish that was on the bank dead. It was on the north end (on the rocks) of the south pond last week?

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/13/12 02:43 PM

Yeah I was thinking it was a Pacu too. I figured there would be some stuff like that in these ponds that people release from their house.

Did anyone go yesterday or plan on going today? If so, let us know how the water clarity is now. Thanks!

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/14/12 11:55 PM

There's Pacu in a lot of ponds are here.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/19/12 06:19 AM

anyone been out in the past couple days? curious if they are locked in yet?

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/19/12 04:52 PM

I have been taking the boat out on another little honey hole I found but will probably walk down to the North pond a few times this week when I get home from work.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/19/12 08:25 PM

honey hole you say

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/20/12 01:16 AM

Was there a few days ago. If I had to bet money on it I'd say the majority of those fish are done spawning and are off the beds. Water is still too murky to tell, but the last couple of years the winters have been much colder and the fish spawn right about now. This year has been mild so I would say they are done. Just my opinion though.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/20/12 03:57 AM

Yeah, I agree. They were up shallow a month ago.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/20/12 04:04 AM

post spawn it is then...

Posted By: RaiderDale33

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/20/12 05:27 AM

Was there a few days ago. If I had to bet money on it I'd say the majority of those fish are done spawning and are off the beds. Water is still too murky to tell, but the last couple of years the winters have been much colder and the fish spawn right about now. This year has been mild so I would say they are done. Just my opinion though.

Post the pictures, Tyler. Show the people what lives in these ponds!

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/20/12 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: RaiderDale33

Post the pictures, Tyler. Show the people what lives in these ponds!

I am sure they are well aware of the monsters that lurk in the depths.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/20/12 11:42 PM

Actually, keep the pics down. These ponds don't need any more pressure than they already get!

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/21/12 03:41 AM

I've never seen more than 3 people fishing these ponds, but I've heard about the shoulder to shoulder action during spawn in years past. That could get annoying...

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/21/12 04:04 AM

I've never seen more than 3 people fishing these ponds, but I've heard about the shoulder to shoulder action during spawn in years past. That could get annoying...

Be glad its like that now. I cant remember the last time I went when there wasnt at least 3 other people fishing. Thats why I started going at night instead of during the day.

Posted By: Trickster

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/21/12 07:25 PM

Is this off of Preston RD?

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/22/12 03:37 AM

on campbell, off of coit I believe.

Posted By: jbaseball33

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/22/12 07:27 AM

can you put a bass buster out there?

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/22/12 05:12 PM

I would love to see someone on a boat there, but I dont think so. The ponds are so small, theres no place you cant cast to from a spot on the bank.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/24/12 12:50 AM

Homeowners would more than likely call you in for a boat in the water. TPWD had a boat in there one day trying to catch some of those goofy looking ducks. They were not good at it.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/24/12 05:53 AM

tranq dart should do the job just fine from the bank.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/26/12 02:32 PM

Yeah, I agree. I live in the neighborhood and have thought about throwing my pond prowler in there a few times. The neighbors would be less than excited I'm sure. It is also small enough to be able to cast to the opposite bank so it really isn't necessary.

Re: twin lakes plano - 03/27/12 12:48 AM

i was there on sunday and couldn't get a thing to bite, saw them in the shallows tho.

Posted By: Sethmac

Re: twin lakes plano - 04/07/12 02:17 PM

Visited yesterday since I'm in town visiting family in the area for Easter. Threw Rat-L-Traps and Senkos but no luck. Water was awfully stained/murky so I was curious how y'all saw bed during the spawn...must be stirred up from the rain. I got skunked...saw another young guy walking a spook, but didn't see him catch anything. I was fishing the weed line...is that typically what y'all do?

Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: twin lakes plano - 04/07/12 02:38 PM

The water is usually clear, it has been murky this year. Something is going on with the water quality I guess.

Re: twin lakes plano - 04/07/12 03:50 PM

Take the time to go back and read the whole thread. Probably some good info in it. I personally have not had luck here, but plenty have. Good luck, and post if you find some.

Re: twin lakes plano - 04/11/12 08:33 PM

Got skunked there yesterday. Those fish are exhausted I think. They are still actively patrolling the weedline but have lock jaw. I tried deeper water too looking for some that have started to move. No luck. They only thing I didn't try yesterday was a worm and a buzzbait. I'll try again today and report.

Posted By: "Old School"

Re: twin lakes plano - 04/13/12 02:11 PM

Here's a tip and this doesn't fit everyones fishing style. Small in-line spinners and tubes. Match the hatch. Too many folks are fishing and that puts pressure on them. Go back and throw small baits with light line and it will open your eyes!

P.S. Don't forget to also throw Roadrunners.

Posted By: jknope

Re: twin lakes plano - 05/22/12 12:15 AM

Our first time at this pond was yesterday. I was there with my son. We were only going after the little guys, but I saw plenty of larger fish, mostly bass around. Someone else there said they had a 5-lb bass that day and I saw him pull in a 1-2 lber.

What else are in these ponds? We just moved from New England area, so the easy access is nice compared to some of the ponds/lakes I've been at.

Re: twin lakes plano - 05/29/12 03:48 PM

There are some monster bass in those lakes. There are also tons of bream, white bass, and catfish.

Posted By: NTXjeepman

Re: twin lakes plano - 05/30/12 08:28 PM

where are the "twin lakes"

Posted By: clint 1128

Re: twin lakes plano - 06/08/12 01:28 AM

Hey I dont blame any fisherman for not bragging or showing of nice bass .. I've seen a lot of honey holes go down hill in a hurry cause of word of mouth .. I think camera phones are great but too dang easy for people to show everybody in the area

Posted By: basstastic29

Re: twin lakes plano - 06/08/12 02:01 AM

Could I fish oughta. My float tube?

Posted By: clint 1128

Re: twin lakes plano - 06/08/12 02:08 AM

Hey I dont blame any fisherman for not bragging or showing of nice bass .. I've seen a lot of honey holes go down hill in a hurry cause of word of mouth .. I think camera phones are great but too dang easy for people to show everybody in the area

Posted By: Gainesville

Re: twin lakes plano - 06/09/12 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: basstastic29
Could I fish oughta. My float tube?

Yes.

Posted By: Alan M. Adams

Re: twin lakes plano - 12/04/12 10:10 PM

Started fishing those lakes about two weeks ago. Caught about a 1-2 lb bass out of there off of a Berkley Power Bait worm in the North Lake.
Posted By: T-Gauntt

Re: twin lakes plano - 12/05/12 09:56 PM

Welcome to the forum Alan. I drove by yesterday and say a guy fishing with a worm. I've never fished these, but they look pretty darn small, especially if they have to be able to support any regular fishing pressure. You'll probably have better luck heading north toward frisco. Theres a lot more water up that direction.

Re: twin lakes plano - 12/06/12 10:10 PM

They do get a ton of pressure but there are good fish in there for sure. You just have to change your thought process a little to entice them. Weightless worms and small cranks work really well. There is a lot of witches hair out there still so fishing anything but a spinnerbait or topwater will be a bit frustrating as you will pull up junk and grass on every retrieve.

On a side note, if anyone has a buddy that is a game warden in Plano please ask them to start patroling these ponds more frequently. I saw two old Asian guys out there on Saturday that were smashing a hooked turtle with a rock because they couldn't get it off. When I tried to confront them it appeared that they didn't speak any English. I bet there wasn't a license between the two of them and that carp needs to stop. To many people stripping this place dry that have no respect for the outdoors or a concept of CPR.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum