Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Fishing in Lubbock

Posted By: RedRaider3933

Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 02/27/10 04:28 AM

Does anybody know of a place in Lubbock to bank fish for largemouth?

I've gone to school here for two years and am about to pull my hair out if I cant find somewhere to fish. Thanks.
Posted By: TSG

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 02/28/10 05:39 AM

Lubbock Country Club, Fish it on Mondays, they are closed every Monday. Great fishing

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/01/10 12:24 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Posted By: brelmore11

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/03/10 09:23 PM

Several of the playa lakes around town have good fishing. Used to go early in the morning and hammer em on flukes, especially the one near 82nd between Indiana and Quaker.

Posted By: Big Bass'n

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/03/10 11:03 PM

Are you serious about the Country Club? Do you just walk in? Is there more thtan one lake?

I used to fish alot of playas around town, but havent in a while. They are usually hit or miss.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/04/10 02:28 AM

I am going to the country club on monday come hell or high water. Just driving by the course on the highway I can see one good size pond, but I'm pretty sure there is another one.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/04/10 02:24 PM

Let me know how it goes maybe I can make it out htere this summer. Im headed to AlanHenry this morning.
Posted By: ciscooutdoorsman

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/08/10 04:35 AM

kudos on wanting to know how the country club goes

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/13/10 05:18 AM

any luck at the golf course?

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/15/10 11:39 PM

Wind was blowing like hurricane katrina so I decided not to mess with it last week. I'm going to give it a try after spring break though.
Posted By: PayneFish

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/17/10 02:54 PM

the one off of the loop between Quaker and Indiana panned out well for me when I lived there early in the day. There are actually two ponds there under the water with a semi dam in between near the sign in the water. If you are facing the loop, there is more structure on the right side.
I had good luck on the no wake side of Buffalo Springs in the spring time. Worth a try. Some big crappie in there also.
Posted By: Bit Man

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/25/10 01:29 AM

Will they get you for trespassing in the golf course if you go when they are closed? I would at least call and ask permission, it is a private club. I used to be a golf pro and hated getting calls about folks trespassing. Asking permission will ususally get you in the door, you might call and ask the head greenskeeper, they work on Mondays. Lots of courses in Oklahoma have some good fishing as well. Ive caught good bass in Waco on some golf course ponds as well. The ones here in midland are horrible, heck grass carp dont even like them smile
Danny

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/25/10 03:19 AM

I've fished the ponds on Glen Eagles Country Club in Plano for the last 7 or 8 years and have never got in trouble for trespassing. The marshalls always came and talked to me but never ran me off. I dont think they would go as far to call police for people fishing on the golf course when it is closed, but you never know.
Posted By: TSG

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/04/10 06:16 PM

When i was at Tech i fished Lubbock Country Club all the time on Mondays and was asked to leave only one time out of i can't even tell you how many times my roommate and i fished it. I'm sure they don't want anyone fishing it, but they aren't going to call the police on you just ask you to leave. other than that we only have saw one worker during those times and he just asked how were the fish biting. There are 2 lakes, 1 that overflow into the other. I always fished the bottom one. We were catching good 4 and 5 pound fish out of that lake with our biggest about 8lbs. Should be several good fish, let me know how you do.

Posted By: RaiderRed34

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/07/10 11:08 PM

I went fishing this morning around 7:00 AM at the playa lake on 82nd right off Quaker the one with fountians in the middle of it. First five minutes I had a Largemouth Bass on the line. I was catching about 11inch bass until around 12. I was using just your basic night crawlers on a bobber. I was wondering if anyone has fished here with artificial baits?
Posted By: RaiderRed34

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/07/10 11:11 PM

Also I was wondering if their was any other playas that have Bass in them? Has anyone fished the playa off MLK I think its called Canyon Lake #6?
Posted By: TTUangler231

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/08/10 04:20 PM

Ya, the Vietnam Memorial Pond at 82nd and Quaker is good. My buddy pulled out a 4 1/2 pound large mouth. He caught it on a regular spinner with a rainbow skirt. I can't remember the ounces of the spinner. Also, directly across the street there is a bigger pond with a little bit of vegetation. There was a dead 5 pounder on the bank so I know there are big ones in there. I havne't caught any big bass out of that pond yet, just small ones. Here's a link a found with stocked ponds in Lubbock. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/cfl.phtml?r=1 The small lake at University and the North loop is pretty good too on the North side. I fished the south side because there is much more vegetation down by the damn. Haven't caught any big ones out of there yet. I've caught bass at most of these ponds on small spinners. Haven't had luck with top water.
Posted By: kingbert23

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/14/10 04:15 PM

Anybody tried to fish the country club lake?? Next time you guys go out and fish PM, I will join.
Posted By: TTUangler231

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/18/10 04:33 AM

Mae Simmons park is the one at 19th and MLK. There is alot of vegetation on one side and you can only get past it on the docks or by taking a small canoe or kyak out there. They do have a boat ramp. The other side has vegetation closer to the middle and a bridge. I see people out there catfishing all the time. It looks promising but i've only had time to scout it. I'll fish it pretty soon and let you if i pull any good bass out of there.
Posted By: Tech Law '11

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/19/10 12:33 AM

I've fished canyon lakes system many times and its very tough trying to catch bass from the bank. Small watercraft would definitely help; I have a tube but have yet to get out there with it. I have caught some small bass and some crappie from the bank. The playa at Quaker and the S. Loop has been very successful lately, especially at dusk. Pull out multiple carp and catfish everytime. Headed out there tonight actually.
Posted By: kingbert23

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/12/10 02:58 PM

Anybody got out and fished the ponds since the massive rains??
Posted By: PSG

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/17/10 08:20 AM

I fished Higginbotham a few nights ago, mainly stayed on the eastern side of the lake, and didn't catch anything. The recent rains have caused the water to creep up further than usual, keeping city crews from mowing very close to the lake and causing lots of mosquito infestation. There were a few others fishing with little to no luck, including a lone fly fisherman who only caught a small carp. We also tried the lake at Guy Park with little luck after the rains, but it was a more enjoyable time than at Higginbotham, due to the grass being in such bad shape.
Posted By: PFG

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/12/12 03:56 AM

With regard to the lake at Buddy Holly Park (University and Loop), the bass have been hitting wacky worms like crazy lately along the tall groves. Ive had great luck lately fishing from the dam into the smaller part, and fishing the opposite side as well.

Anybody think throwing a frog across the top of that moss on the open side is worth a try?

ML

Posted By: JAlderson

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/12/12 01:55 PM

Not sure about the frogs, I am heading out in my kayak this week though. What kind of set up are you doing for the wacky worms?

Posted By: PFG

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/13/12 02:42 AM

I have been using a rig like this with 10 pound braid so that I can feel everything. Throw it out, let it sink, and then just reel a quarter rotation, let sit for 3 seconds then quarter turn again.
Retrieves take forever but ive seen bass follow it for about 20 seconds before taking!
http://media.basspro.com/images/articles/Gamakatsu_Finesweedwidegap.jpg

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/13/12 01:10 PM

Have you tried drop shot out there?

Posted By: Preston0101

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/30/12 02:03 AM

Today, I went out to the spot PFG mentioned above. Didn't have any luck. I tried wacky worms, swim baits, and topwaters. I didn't have a topwater frog, which might be good across the top of the moss like PFG suggested.

PFG, have any suggestions?

Are there any other places y'all have caught fish? I'm still 0-fer in Lubbock.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/30/12 11:35 PM

This heat has blocked me from wanting to fish around town. We need rain bad...

Posted By: Marshall Lucky

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 09/27/12 02:16 AM

Park at Joy Land and fish the creek between the parking lot and Meadowbrook golf course. It is also easy to go North West of there to another pond about 200 yards away. You can also catch bass in the pond on Ave Q between Clovis highway and Erskine. You will want to fish that pond during daylight hours.
Posted By: PSG

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 09/27/12 04:36 AM

Apparently the fishing at the Canyon Lakes system is pretty good. A group holds a Vamos a Pescar day there every year as well, and some of them have good luck.

I haven't made it out there yet to fish, as the last time I was at the CL system was to get pictures of a homicide scene for work. One of these days, maybe I'll finally head out there.
Posted By: WHoward

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/03/13 12:23 AM

Any new thoughts on places to fish around Lubbock?

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/06/13 02:15 PM

I'm sucking it up this year and going to fish the playa lakes hard. The news from Alan Henry is pretty bad and I am trying to get my daughter her first good fishing experience. Anyone fish the Canyon lakes system alot?
Posted By: TheBassKicker

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/07/13 05:07 AM

I've found them to be pretty consistent for carp or small cats. I've never caught anything other than that, though I honestly haven't thrown any lures except for around the playa between Quaker and Indiana. The one over off of Broadway was EXCELLENT for catching some nice size carp the year before last though I haven't been back since. I used to fish a small one over off of Chicago that was good for Bass, cats, carp, whatever, but the drought took it out and to my knowledge they never restocked it. It's a shame too, I fished that pond for well over twenty years.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/07/13 04:06 PM

Which playa off Broadway was that ? What were you using for the carp there? I use to make a dough and corn for carp but its been years...
Posted By: lubbock.catfish-hunter

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/29/13 04:46 PM

i have fished at canyon lake 6 thats off of 19th and MLK and have found some good bass there especially in the spring time. I used spinner baits to catch them. I know they have crappie there as well. I go to the playa lake right behind fazolis on 82nd and have caught good size bass, catfish, sunfish and carp. to catch the carp all you need is corn these days.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/31/13 09:15 PM

What do you use for bass at the playa lakes in town?
Posted By: 808ALLDAY

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/07/13 12:00 AM

I've came to tech a few years ago and I've been trying to find some good spots for bass fishing. I don't really care for catching carp or catfish as the challenge just isn't there. Some people told me to try buffalo springs and my friend caught a 10 lb striper there but other than that after 2 trips I am yet to have a bite using multiple lures and techniques. So far I've had the best luck with the canyon lake system (Starts at the North loop and university and ends a little past mckenzie park). Pretty much any little lagoon or small bay is perfect. Every time I've gone to one of these since the weather has warmed up I've caught something. Usually I'll catch about 5-6 over the span of a few hours. I've caught some on a texas rig worm but by far the most effective lures I've used are my rooster tails. Yesterday my very first cast brought one in, its awesome. In the past week I've seen a few people sight fish and pull out at least a 3-4 pounder. However, I tend to pull bass 2 lb and below but with a consistant stream of them thats ok with me!
Posted By: RedRaiderAngler

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/07/13 02:19 AM

Yea the only place I've consistently caught fish while going to school here for the past 2 years is at the canyon lake system off of north loop 289. I recently had some success sight fishing there last week. I went out today but didn't see any on beds, but I'm thinking this recent cold front we had may be the reason. Heading out there tomorrow afternoon to try again, hopefully they're bedding I love sight fishing.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/07/13 03:10 AM

haha yeah thats right by my house, I'm pretty sure I've seen you out there walking along the banks looking at the beds

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/07/13 04:26 AM

Yea man my apartment is real close by too haha. I've heard of another good spot around town with some big fish. We should go check it out sometime man I don't wanna go out there by myself.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/07/13 06:02 AM

I'm down

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/08/13 02:17 AM

I found a nice place where I pulled this guy out [img:center]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater[/img]

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/08/13 03:58 AM

That's a nice chunk, I think I know where that's at. Seems like every time I go there I get skunked. Let's try and hit up that other spot I heard of this weekend.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/08/13 03:00 PM

Are you guys bank fishing? Have you tried pitching jigs?

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/08/13 07:31 PM

Yea just bank fishing. I've caught a few while pitching a jig, but most of my bites lately have come from pitching a sweet beaver into beds. Seems like when I pitch a jig into a bed it scares them off.
Posted By: txhunt&fish10

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/08/13 08:06 PM

Moved to lubbock last August, and havent found a decent spot to fish thus far. The playa off 82nd has produced a handful for me, canyon lake and buddy holly are absolutely pitiful. Tried flukes, senkos, spinners, small cranks, flappin hogs, lizards, topwaters and texas rigs. Not a damn thing off the canyon lakes or buddy holly. Are yall fishin in the creek system between the main lake and mackenzie? What kind of baitfish did they stock it with? Shad and perch?
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/08/13 09:45 PM

When I was in college in Lubbock 34 years ago...we would bass fish with HH spinners.We would fish the drainage channels and did well.
That was the same time south plains shopping mall opened.. happy8

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/09/13 03:08 PM

nobody wants to hear about the good ol days old man. "When I was in college..." blah!!

(im just bitter cuz i aint caught nothin)

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/22/13 01:43 AM

It was the one at MacKenzie Park. I tried it again today and didn't even get a nibble. A guy down from me said the same thing. BUT he also said he had some luck at Buddy Holly yesterday afternoon. I also gave 82nd(across from Fazoli's) a shot last weekend and got a few hits on some nightcrawlers but nothing very aggressive. Same thing at Charles Guy Park. Maybe once all these dang cold fronts stop coming in the fish will actually start biting. With carp I've had a ton of luck with corn. I sure hope we get some rain soon though, if we have another drought like '11 we're gonna be out of places to fish. Guy Park is at a WAY lower level than when the drought started in '11 so if we go another spring/summer without rain I could definitely see it drying up.
Posted By: YakAnglerTTU

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 05/04/13 04:25 AM

I went to the playa lake behind Fazolis on 82nd a few days ago. I caught 3 decent sized bass within an hour and a half. I was using a Texas rig watermelon worm with a slip weight. Since then I've tried some other spots, I've had zero luck elsewhere so far.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 05/13/13 01:55 AM

Well I hit MacKenzie park again today. Caught two nice size carp. One was right at two pounds the other just under five. Both put up an awesome fight!
Posted By: lubbock.catfish-hunter

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 05/21/13 02:07 PM

I went there a week ago as well and also caught a descent two pounder using spinner bait. My 7 year old niece was catching little baby bass left and right using night crawlers. So that is a good sign for future bass fishing in that lake!
Posted By: ExCaliBoy

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 05/21/13 05:50 PM

I have tried to do the top water frogs and the ribbits. I got some hits on the top water. But not on the ribbits. There are a lot of carp towards the shallow end. Like closest to the loop. I was casting from the dock towards the loop and I got some hits, but the hook didn't set. I've caught LMB with rattle traps. I know that drop shot minnows are working. Those two were working best. I tried craw but they didn't quite hit that.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 05/28/13 10:06 PM

I hit Guy Park this weekend. Threw a rattle trap and discovered that though it looks like theres a lot of water it's not more than a foot deep at it's deepest. You can see carp swimming on the top of the water by the dozens. If we don't get some rain soon I'm betting they will all be dead in the next two months.
Posted By: Snagalager

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/03/13 04:31 PM

I wore out the itty bitty crappie and a couple little bass in a pond by 82nd st. I think its behind an mri place. It don't seem to be deep at all. The crappie seem to still be in spawn mode here.

I sure am ready to get out of Lubbok.
I'm out working and I have a few more stops till I get to fish Lake Amistad. Hopefully I can find some decent largemouth from the bank there.
Posted By: YakAnglerTTU

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/04/13 07:43 PM

Went to Clifford Andrews park last night off 82nd and caught a huge bass (huge for any bass I've caught here in lubbock). It was easily 4.5 lbs. At night they've been feeding really close to shore, I just fan cast and texas rig/wacky rig a worm. There's some nice size crappy ive caught with jigs. I agree with Snagalger, bass seem to be in spawn mode here also
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/04/13 11:35 PM

Those fish have Lubbock sand in their eyes!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/05/13 07:06 PM

Yeah almost all my fish were caught right on the edges of the bank. Flipping out a 1/32nd oz. Crappie jig

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 06/05/13 07:11 PM

Oh and also caught some crappie on a square bill
Posted By: tnicholson8

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/13/13 08:22 AM

Any new info? I can't seem to get on any fish on the playas in town. I can't scratch my itch!
Posted By: txlonghorns

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/13/13 02:05 PM

I'm fixing to move down to Lubbock in a few weeks. I would appreciate any places to fish and/or making a new fishing buddy.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/25/13 10:47 PM

Bump
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/03/13 10:38 PM

Anyone ever fish Dunbar Lake? Looks like theres lots of grass around the perimeter to hold bass....
Posted By: B-Mac

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/21/13 07:12 PM

I am a Young kid and have been fishing for close to 5 years now and can never get any quality sized bass my biggest is about 3lbs and would love if someone would let me fish your bass pond near and around Lubbock Texas. I only practice catch and release and would be wiling to pay but as I am only a kid I can not pay outrageous prices. Any ponds tips to help me catch some quality would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Redraider022

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 09/02/13 05:08 AM

Does the playa lake on 82nd in between Quaker and Indiana, (with the three fountains) still hold some good bass fishing? I started fishing a lot this summer and I have not found any good lakes. I went to Florida and fished my uncles private lake and wanted to come back to lubbock and find some spots but can't seem to find anything. Any help?

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 09/03/13 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Redraider022
Does the playa lake on 82nd in between Quaker and Indiana, (with the three fountains) still hold some good bass fishing? I started fishing a lot this summer and I have not found any good lakes. I went to Florida and fished my uncles private lake and wanted to come back to lubbock and find some spots but can't seem to find anything. Any help?

I've caught fish out there but not any good ones. Probably 3 pounds or so was the biggest. The one across 82nd behind Fazolis is better.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 09/04/13 04:51 PM

Three words... Canyon lake systems.The only place in town where i've been able to consistantly catch fish. The fish in my sig were caught there.
Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 10/26/13 07:25 AM

I have fished that a few times, fishing all around it and haven't had any luck. People say if you kayak to the island you can catch them off of them. I fish the canyon lake system now and like it better than the playas, there's more spots around the canyon lake system that don't see as much pressure as the playas. More structure to fish in the canyon lakes IMHO.

I'm assuming you were talking about the one inside the loop. Haven't fished the ones on the south side.
Posted By: lubbockflyfisher

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 10/26/13 11:52 PM

New to Lubbock and Texasfishingforum.com. I would like to find someone to fish with. I have been fly fishing Mackenzie a little and have gotten two small black bass on green wooly buggers. I have been wanting to try the Canyon lake system and Buffalo Springs with fly and spincast tackle. Lemme know what ya think. Thanks for having me!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 10/27/13 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: lubbockflyfisher
New to Lubbock and Texasfishingforum.com. I would like to find someone to fish with. I have been fly fishing Mackenzie a little and have gotten two small black bass on green wooly buggers. I have been wanting to try the Canyon lake system and Buffalo Springs with fly and spincast tackle. Lemme know what ya think. Thanks for having me!

In years past they have stocked some of the playa lakes with trout this time of year. Not sure if they are doing it anymore though.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 10/27/13 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaiderAngler
Three words... Canyon lake systems.The only place in town where i've been able to consistantly catch fish. The fish in my sig were caught there.

+1. I was out there yesterday and the fish were biting pretty hard.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 10/28/13 12:42 AM

What are you guys having luck on out there? I have also tried a few spot without any luck. I also was using my kayak with a fish finder and barely saw anything. The areas I saw weren't more than 5-6 ft. I'm going to say that you might have the best luck on live bait but would love to get my fly rod going out there.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 10/28/13 02:32 AM

I tried quite a variety yesterday. I had nothing on soft-plastics. Got a few bites on a blue/chrome Rat-L-Trap. Didn't get any hook sets though. The fish I could see chasing it were pretty small. At least that's my excuse!
Posted By: OutdoorTxs

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 11/01/13 03:17 PM

does anyone know the rules on small boats in the canyon lakes?
Ive seen a boat ramp at some, so I assume boats are allowed.
Ive been wanting to get my bass raider in there, but dont wanna get ticketed or anything if its not allowed.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 11/01/13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: PoNeY
does anyone know the rules on small boats in the canyon lakes?
Ive seen a boat ramp at some, so I assume boats are allowed.
Ive been wanting to get my bass raider in there, but dont wanna get ticketed or anything if its not allowed.

In the canyon lakes you can use canoes kayaks or rafts with electric motors. Coast Gaurd regulations apply and you have to go by the parks and rec office to pick up a free boat permit.

Here's the link to the city's web page on it.
Lubbock Parks and Rec regulations
Posted By: OutdoorTxs

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 11/19/13 08:11 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Outlaw Josey Wales

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/03/14 04:52 AM

Hopefully this year we can re-open this related topic.

I've seen this forum and referred to it the last 2 years. I've been in Lubbock the last 8 years,(graduated Tech in 2011) never extensively fished the area. I always had the assumption there was nothing to fish (I'm from the Hill Country; fishing is entirely different from Lubbock). Just decided to join the forum, you guys are providing great information so I'd like to at least share my success (or so far lack of wink ).

Extensively fished today; tried the canyon lake system, starting from Canyon Lake #6 (Dunbar Heigths--19th and MLK). Wind was battering me hard...I'd guess 20-25mph from the N-NE. Fished the dock on the east side of number 6; started with wacky rigged senko's, switched to crankbaits, switched to rattle jigs. Moved on up north and crossed 19th, fished close to the reeds, nothing. Fished the creek east of the parking lot of joyland. Tried this through the whole canyon lake system. Followed it up til it hit the north loop, got discouraged..gave up. Not even a bite!

Yesterday I tried the playa on quaker and inside south loop with some Texas rigged senkos. Nothing. Wind was in the 20's then too. I realize Lubbock is wind..but I have no success when the playas are white-capping. Anybody have tips on fishing the wind? I love fishing weightless soft plastics..but the wind makes it impossible!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/03/14 04:56 AM

I will say, I read this exact forum topic 2 years ago, and it encouraged me to fish the country club ponds with my roommate and we had a bit of luck. We fished it twice on Mondays, I used some panther martin jigs, had some aggressive small LM's attack it close to the banks. Nothing special, but it was more fruitful than my previous two days!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/03/14 09:09 PM

I have never had good luck on any of the playas. I've fished just about all of them. I prefer to fish the Cayon Lakes, they are extremely tough when fishing with artificials. I understand your frustrations as I have fished many days without a bite. But when you catch them, it feels that much better.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/04/14 02:46 AM

I'm still zero for whatever while fishing in Lubbock. I always have an itch to wet a line. If anyone wants to meet up one weekend, let me know. Also, welcome to TFF!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/09/14 08:31 PM

Thanks!

Lubbock fishing seems to be tough in the spring. The wind is constant and the random late cold fronts keep the waters cold. Knowing LBK, I wouldn't doubt if we had a freeze come in on Easter. (last year it in snowed on May 1st!) I'm thinking the bass here are probably more late to spawn than elsewhere. I'm hoping the fishing will pick up around the first of May. I noticed none of the reeds in Canyon lake #6 were green yet. Bass tend to favor green vegetation as it produces oxygen > plankton > baitfish. So I suppose I gotta be patient bang

Took the fiancee out to Alan Henry Saturday with some kayaks. Wind blew and was overcast and cold, so we decided to bank the yaks and fish. Kinda tough to bank fish Alan with it's canyon walls. We put in below campsite #24. It was windy and overcast all day. Odd, as soon as the sun came out, I hooked a small LM and a smaller spotted bass within 5 min of each other in the same hole. Even though they were small, it restored my ego as a fisherman. I think my dog finally believed I could catch a fish. clap Not even sure if this little guy is worth posting but:

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/09/14 08:46 PM

Great catch! Definitely worth posting! I hope the wind calms down and the temps stay high enough one weekend to where we can actually fish.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/16/14 12:01 AM

Just got back from the pond behind Fazolis on 82nd. Caught one (1/2 lb largemouth) on a chartreuse and blue H&H spinner and had one swing and miss. That's the only place where I've had any luck. A fluke in Arkansas Shiner, or the H&H is what works for me out there. I've seen pics and heard stories about guys pullin some pretty nice fish outta there but I have yet to catch anything over a lb.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/21/14 06:13 AM

Finally had some success in the canyon lake system. Try the "creek" north of Dunbar Heights #6 lake. Lots of reeds and nooks. Caught 4 largemouth bass and 2 bluegills. Nothing special but it won me a bet and 2 pints of beer cheers

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/22/14 04:51 PM

Went the Canyon Lake #1 up at N. Loop and University. Tried fishing all kinds of worms with no luck for hours. Switched to a Rat-L-Trap and was able to land a small bass on the west side of the lake by the big point. After that the wind started to pick up and I went to the other side. Seems to be too much trash on the east bank. Kept catching walmart bags so I packed up.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/24/14 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: FlatsFisher613
Went the Canyon Lake #1 up at N. Loop and University. Tried fishing all kinds of worms with no luck for hours. Switched to a Rat-L-Trap and was able to land a small bass on the west side of the lake by the big point. After that the wind started to pick up and I went to the other side. Seems to be too much trash on the east bank. Kept catching walmart bags so I packed up.

I always take my dog over there to that park during the weekends and have thought about fishing that area. Did you fish off the dock?

I was catching with a small soft plastic shad. I don't usually use the bait, but I saw a few floating around the banks and figured it's what the bass are most likely to eat. Just ran it slowly next to the reeds and was having bit of luck.

You ought to try Just north of Dunbar Heights Canyon lake #6. I suppose you can call it a creek. It's the only place I've had luck in town

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/25/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Outlaw Josey Wales

I always take my dog over there to that park during the weekends and have thought about fishing that area. Did you fish off the dock?

I was catching with a small soft plastic shad. I don't usually use the bait, but I saw a few floating around the banks and figured it's what the bass are most likely to eat. Just ran it slowly next to the reeds and was having bit of luck.

You ought to try Just north of Dunbar Heights Canyon lake #6. I suppose you can call it a creek. It's the only place I've had luck in town

I was fishing on the opposite bank from the dock, there is a big point with some trees. Fished multiple different types of Texas rigged worms with no luck, then switched to the Rat-L-Trap and caught the fish. Seems to be a lot of hidden brush about 5' off the bank on that side. But the fish were splashing the water at that zone, carp were fighting with each other right in the bank. Makes me think the spawn is close and we will see better fishing on those waters soon. I've fished #6 from the dock once, but the wind was whipping and didn't stay long, will probably go next week to try for better luck .

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/25/14 06:22 PM

I was fishing on the opposite bank from the dock, there is a big point with some trees. Fished multiple different types of Texas rigged worms with no luck, then switched to the Rat-L-Trap and caught the fish. Seems to be a lot of hidden brush about 5' off the bank on that side. But the fish were splashing the water at that zone, carp were fighting with each other right in the bank. Makes me think the spawn is close and we will see better fishing on those waters soon. I've fished #6 from the dock once, but the wind was whipping and didn't stay long, will probably go next week to try for better luck .

I generally use weightless soft plastics also. Wacky rigging or Texas rigging has really done nothing for me in Lubbock, which I find weird. They usually have a bite or two. I've fished number #6 a bit too and have never had a bite. The "creek", right before it dumps into #6 (19th and MLK), is where I've had my luck. A guy told me he used to catch a mess of crappie under the bridge there (19th st) but always got hung up. Thought I'd try my soft plastic shad, and sure enough out of 3 casts I hung up twice.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/25/14 07:46 PM

I have yet to make t to that creek yet. I'd like to try next week when the wind dies down. I was out at #2 this morning. It was way too windy for plastics. I used a lipless crank and a jig. Not even a nibble, the later half of the trip was mainly just casting practice!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/25/14 07:50 PM

Tomorrow there is a fishing event out at Maxey Park. They said they brought in 12,000 fish mostly cats I think, but it ends at 1:00 and the park will be open to the public after that. I'm taking my kiddos in the morning, I'll ask around to see what they stocked.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/27/14 02:25 AM

Went to Maxey this morning as well. Didn't catch a thing. My aunt caught a carp and a perch but that's it. So if you're looking to catch some cats Maxey should be primed for it soon. As far as I know not a single one was caught.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/27/14 04:51 AM

When fishing in Lubbock, I'm looking to catch any kind of fish!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/28/14 02:56 AM

What did they stock Maxey Park with?
Posted By: charlieecho

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/28/14 01:46 PM

What did they stock Maxey Park with?

catfish
Posted By: charlieecho

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 04/28/14 01:51 PM

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/stock_bywater.php?WB_code=0479

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 05/02/14 08:05 PM

@Outlaw Josey Wales: Are you talking about the waters next to mae simmons park?
Posted By: The Lost Alaskan

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/17/14 03:05 AM

Hi all, Im new to this board and the Lubbock fishing community. Im down here from Alaska to go to Tech.
I am looking to land some LM bass in the area. Haven't tried too many places. Checked out the Canyon Lakes today, but didn't have any luck. From what I understand it is pretty hit-or-miss. If anyone has some good LM bass advice i'll take it!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/17/14 03:08 AM

also, My wife and I fished for some catfish tonight at the playa off of 69th and slide. we were only there about 20 minutes, but We had a few bites and landed about a 2 lb cat. We were using night crawlers mostly. just some good catch-and-release.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/04/14 08:11 AM

Welcome to Lubbock and TFF! Best place to catch LMB is probly Lake Alan Henry. Not very fishable from the bank though, it's mostly canyons. If you have a boat you can catch bass pretty easy out there. The lake is just south of Post about 1 hour 15 minutes from Lubbock. If you are staying in town and fishing from the bank, the canyon lake system is your best bet. It's tough fishing by there are bass in there, just have to be patient.
Posted By: TitanLP2001

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/04/14 08:18 AM

Has the pond in Mahon park been refilled and restocked?

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/07/14 12:43 AM

You mean the little one off Chicago by TCU? I think the rains this year have refilled it. The only stocking I've heard of this year was at Maxey Park for the kids day.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/09/14 03:31 PM

Caught two bass today at Dunbar lake with a T-rigged watermelon/red flake u-tail. Guy out there said the fish have been biting good all summer.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/12/14 04:55 PM

Fished the canyon lake off E. 19th St. this AM. Think it's Mae Simmons... Whatever it's called, it more like a creek and it's rhythm before Dunbar. Caught three on a white/chartreuse spinner bait. Missed one, but was happy with the result. Never been here before and I'm glad I stopped. More scouting to do this week. Saw some other good spots from the road.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 10/21/14 11:10 PM

Has anyone fished that lake right off of the Loop between Indiana and University? I sometimes see it being fished as I drive by and I just moved into some apartments next to it and I am wondering what lives in there or if it is stocked with Cats, Bass, etc...

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 12/29/14 04:17 AM

If you are talking about the one off the south loop I believe it's called Stone Lake. Haven't fished it yet. When the weather warms up I'll give it a shot. I know they fished a body out of it a couple years ago though.
Posted By: bigmike1818

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 02/12/15 01:38 PM

Anybody started fishing yet?
Posted By: KayaKyle

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 02/19/15 02:55 AM

Gonna hit up the creek over by the Mae Simmons disc golf course, north of Dunbar on Friday. Haven't done any fishing since August but hope they are starting to bite again.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/21/15 04:14 AM

I've been out to the Canyon lakes off of 19th the past week, no luck at all! I've thrown out about everything I have from plastic worms, crawfish (plastic), crankbaits, spin-baits... Haven't gotten a bite! Going to try some of the Playas this weekend. Has anyone had any luck so far? I'm dying to land a nice LM bass

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/22/15 03:40 PM

Plan on going to the canyon lakes throughout the week. I'm in central Texas right now and the fish are spawning in the small ponds now. Hoping this span of warm weather will help warm the water temps a little.
Posted By: zjd

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/23/15 04:34 AM

Might do some searching this weekend? New to Lubbock this year and I'm starting to get the itch to do some crappie fishing! I know the options are limited here but if anyone has any advice I'll take any help I can get!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/24/15 01:03 AM

I haven't been able to find many crappie in the city. Buffalo Springs has a crappie house as well as lake Alan Henry. If you have a boat I know people that have caught plenty out of that lake, but it's absolutely horrible to fish from the shore.
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/24/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: zjd
Might do some searching this weekend? New to Lubbock this year and I'm starting to get the itch to do some crappie fishing! I know the options are limited here but if anyone has any advice I'll take any help I can get!

caught 15 dink crappie at the alan henry crappie house last friday night
(I am talking 8 inches or smaller, had one good one that was about 12 we released)

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/27/15 08:09 PM

Caught this at Dunbar on a T-Rigged black trick worm...

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/27/15 10:21 PM

Buddy holly park produced some nice fish (1-3lbs) off shad colored shallow running squarebills near rocks during February. Tried a jerkbait and some soft plastics today with no result. Water is still a little cold.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/28/15 01:32 AM

Glad to hear there are some fish up there. Last year I fished that lake more times than I care to remember and only caught 1. Throughout an entire year... I had written it off but may try it again. I thought there would be some by the dam for sure but couldn't ever get a bite. Caught a dink on the far side off a point with a lipless crank.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/28/15 03:48 AM

Took your advice and went over to Dunbar. Caught 3 little ones, all about 7-8 inches long, on a chartreuse H&H spinner. That lake has some dirty water.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/28/15 04:11 AM

It is pretty dirty right now, I can normally use a watermelon or pumpkin worm, but switched to black this AM because of the water. I'm hoping it clears up soon. Last year the post-spawn fish were destroying spinner baits. I was using the cheap .98 ones from Walmart and they would snatch em up every 5 casts or so. Mostly little ones, but it's Lubbock and I just happy to catch fish!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/28/15 07:18 PM

I feel ya. Most of those bass are Florida strain which are notorious for being 'finicky' but the larger species (sure you know that). I know there are some better fish in the playa off 82nd behind fazolis. But they're tough to catch. weightless Zoom Flukes in Arkansas shiner and watermelon/red or chartreuse/blue spinners around dusk seem to catch one or two every other time out or so. There is no structure except for some small rocks and what not. There is also supposed to be a healthy population of crappie in it. Ive caught one nice one, but hear stories of people pulling out quite a few.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/28/15 09:06 PM

I used to live at 82nd & Quaker and tried that playa a few times without even a bite. I'm going to have to try it again now.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/29/15 07:18 PM

Went there yesterday, the water is gross bro. Almost like a milky green color. Looks like mold. Is there anywhere in town with fishable grass (emphasis on fishable)?

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/29/15 07:51 PM

Not that I have seen yet. Guy at work was showing me pictures of some nice fish he caught out of stone lake recently.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/29/15 08:01 PM

The apt complex?

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/29/15 08:04 PM

Yeah. The one off the south loop.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 03/29/15 08:07 PM

Aight. Thanks for the heads up. Might head out there this evening then. Worth a try.
Posted By: bassbankrobber

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 05/24/15 02:23 PM

Stone lake off the bank

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 07/31/15 07:33 PM

Heading out to stone lake tomorrow AM, anybody know what the bottom is like? Trying to figure out what to bring.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock - 08/24/15 12:46 AM

The weather is finally cooling off a little. Heading out in the AM to test the bite.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum