Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Hawkins

Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Lake Hawkins - 10/28/17 05:24 PM

Never been there, any tips on fishing and/or navigation ?
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/28/17 05:39 PM

They recently reopened the county park near the dam. Launch there. Go up lake and when you see the large floating buoys, follow them they mark the boat channel. They kind of follow a zip/zag pattern but it will get you through the worst of the stumps. After the buoys, head straight for the bridge. I do most of my fishing above the bridge. Have not been there in a month or so but there was some great grass up there. Don't run past the bridge. Quite a few stumps just under the surface.

Good luck on the fun little lake.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/28/17 06:43 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot. Was looking on Google and saw the buoys and bridge and thought that might be a place to start. Was thinking about launching at Hawkes Point but didn't see any parking.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/28/17 07:43 PM

Be careful in all the coves, especially mid lake

Lots of stumps just under the surface

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/28/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Be careful in all the coves, especially mid lake

Lots of stumps just under the surface

Will do thanks.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/28/17 10:01 PM

I like the cove to the right when you make a left towards the bridge, there is a lot of timber and some grass, or there was. Fun lake, don't throw a spinnerbait you like, pickerel will tear it up.. thumb

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/28/17 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
I like the cove to the right when you make a left towards the bridge, there is a lot of timber and some grass, or there was. Fun lake, don't throw a spinnerbait you like, pickerel will tear it up.. thumb

I'll go there first Billy, thanks. I've caught pickerel before at TB and they will mess up a spinner bait, lol.
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/29/17 09:14 PM

Good info
Posted By: Jtunnell

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/29/17 10:48 PM

They are letting water out so all the homeowners can do work on their docks, just FYI. Had some good luck out there with swim baits around grass and wacky rigs on docks. Clear water, light line.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/29/17 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jtunnell
They are letting water out so all the homeowners can do work on their docks, just FYI. Had some good luck out there with swim baits around grass and wacky rigs on docks. Clear water, light line.

Thanks man, that is some good info. Any problem launching at Hawkes Point ?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/29/17 11:35 PM

Somewhere in one of those coves a guy posted GPS of some rebar that was banged into some stumps. He tore his glass boat up last year I think. Be careful.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/29/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Somewhere in one of those coves a guy posted GPS of some rebar that was banged into some stumps. He tore his glass boat up last year I think. Be careful.

I will Frank, thanks for the heads up. Thanks everyone for the help. Hope to post a good review.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 01:18 AM

No, you should be good there. I believe they are letting it down about 5'.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Jtunnell
No, you should be good there. I believe they are letting it down about 5'.

Wow, I better hurry then. Whatever vegetation there is will be gone.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I will Frank, thanks for the heads up. Thanks everyone for the help. Hope to post a good review.

And that rebar was in one of the coves on the right before you get to bridge if memory serves along the SE bank
Posted By: BassColonel

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 03:41 PM

Anybody here live or have a house on Lake Hawkins? How do you like it. How long does it take to drive into Tyler? We will be retiring in about 5 years and are looking for a lake to live on that is not too far from a good size town. Also looking at Lake Cherokee near Longview.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BassColonel
Anybody here live or have a house on Lake Hawkins? How do you like it. How long does it take to drive into Tyler? We will be retiring in about 5 years and are looking for a lake to live on that is not too far from a good size town. Also looking at Lake Cherokee near Longview.

Perhaps 45 min to an hour to Tyler.
Pretty lake but wouldn't be my first choice. I don't trust the surrounding area.
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

Perhaps 45 min to an hour to Tyler.
Pretty lake but wouldn't be my first choice. I don't trust the surrounding area.

That seems true for so many lakes. Seems like lakefront property is either outrageously expensive or the area is pretty iffy.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 08:16 PM

If Hawks Point is the small ramp by the road that crosses the lake, it is very small and very little parking. If you are launching a kayak or something small it may be OK. Small ramp by the Italian Restaurant (which has good food) is OK to launch from.

If they take five feet out of Hawkins, the end past the bridge will be pretty much high and dry.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 09:13 PM

My Aunt and Uncle built a house out there about 3-4 years ago, and my parents just moved there in May. They all absolutely love it. Decent size lake that doesn’t get too much recreational traffic or abused on Holidays. Decent fishing, and you’re close to several awesome bass lakes. My dad commutes to Tyler for work and said it’s not bad at all. There are a few decent restaurants and bars close by too.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 10:16 PM

One thing to really consider is medical attention, finding a doctor, good hospitals nearby etc... In a heart attack or Stroke situation you only have about 20- mins on average to seek help, if your lucky. Our neighborhood bought a defibrillator unit and placed in an area all can access if needed quickly.. Chopper ride is 20 mins coming to ya then the ride in, another 20. At least that's what it is on fork where we are to Tyler.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 11:46 PM

And that rebar was in one of the coves on the right before you get to bridge if memory serves along the SE bank

Right on Frank, it was the last cove on the right before you get to the bridge. They're above water now because they're drawing the lake down. Why anyone would drive rebar into the top of these stumps is beyond me. When the lake is at full pool you want be able to see them.

Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/30/17 11:59 PM

[review. [/quote]above water now because they're drawing the lake down. Why anyone would drive rebar into the top of these stumps is beyond me. When the lake is at full pool you want be able to see them.

because rebar is cheap. and so is the person
they are so dumb, that they mark stumps not realizing that the rebar will get hit and bent over to do damage to others , BTW it is against the law ( but so is speeding)
I have pulled out many, "tip" if it is deep in the wood , bend it over 90 degrees and rotate until it is free.
rebar is good on the bottom of any lake
Rant over

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/31/17 12:09 AM

Well, fished Lake Hawkins today and was disappointed in the fishing. They're drawing the lake down and between that and the north wind it was tough. Caught two dinks and threw everything but a gill net at them. Dangerous lake to fish too when the lake is at full pool. Somebody has driven rebar in the top of the stumps in quite a few places. They are visible now but at full pool they will be just under the water. I've posted pictures of one location. I marked balls of shad at 18-22 Ft. with hooks under them. Tried a drop shot rig and also C-rig but no luck. Fish 8-9 areas of lily pads, 5 points, rip rap at the dam and several areas with lay downs but not a nibble. The lake dropped 3-4" while I was there.
The TFF'ers who are considering moving there I would recommend another lake. Hard to get in and out of and the only decent ramp is at the Park and it's one lane and very narrow. Building a home there would take a lot of clearing. There is a good hospital in Mineola and that appears to be the closet town for shopping and restaurants. I would check the area out closely before you make plans to retire there.
Fishing sucked for me today but it could be because of draw down and high pressure system. I won't be going back.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 10/31/17 12:28 AM

Well, fished Lake Hawkins today and was disappointed in the fishing. They're drawing the lake down and between that and the north wind it was tough. Caught two dinks and threw everything but a gill net at them. Dangerous lake to fish too when the lake is at full pool. Somebody has driven rebar in the top of the stumps in quite a few places. They are visible now but at full pool they will be just under the water. I've posted pictures of one location. I marked balls of shad at 18-22 Ft. with hooks under them. Tried a drop shot rig and also C-rig but no luck. Fish 8-9 areas of lily pads, 5 points, rip rap at the dam and several areas with lay downs but not a nibble. The lake dropped 3-4" while I was there.
The TFF'ers who are considering moving there I would recommend another lake. Hard to get in and out of and the only decent ramp is at the Park and it's one lane and very narrow. Building a home there would take a lot of clearing. There is a good hospital in Mineola and that appears to be the closet town for shopping and restaurants. I would check the area out closely before you make plans to retire there.
Fishing sucked for me today but it could be because of draw down and high pressure system. I won't be going back.

Good report and info going forward, thumb
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Hawkins - 11/01/17 02:59 PM

I have always thought Hawkins was a beautiful East Texas gem of a lake but it always disappoints(me) from a fishing standpoint. I have stunk it up every time I have fished it, falling water or not. Never really seemed to "get on them" each time I have gone but do agree it's a gorgeous classic looking East Texas lake. Stumps, pads, pine trees... As I approach retirement I have always looked at Holbrook, Fork, Athens, Hawkins...all the different scenic East Texas lakes as possibilities. Distance to hospitals is huge(whether we want to admit it or not)but for me the biggest negative to Hawkins has always been that almost all the "lake front" homes are actually across the county road from the lake. Have to walk across the road in your underwear to enjoy your morning coffee sitting on your own boat dock because the house and dock are on opposite sides of the road.(your welcome for the visual!).
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lake Hawkins - 11/01/17 06:30 PM

Gig'em go back in the spring, it's a fun site fishing lake!
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Lake Hawkins - 11/01/17 06:47 PM

How exactly are doing the draw down since its just an overspill? Kinda curious!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Hawkins - 11/01/17 06:59 PM

Has a little tower/gate right by the overflow. Actually most "constant level" lakes with an overflow still have a gate of some type to give more options for depth control(such as a draw down). Welsh, Athens, Houston County.....
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Lake Hawkins - 11/01/17 09:19 PM

Bass colonel Hawkins is my childhood lake. I choose not to return and buy there because the road crosses your lakefront lot. I have several stories of our dog being run over, Drunks at night going to fast etc. It wrecks it for me.

Re: Lake Hawkins - 11/01/17 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Gig'em go back in the spring, it's a fun site fishing lake!

Yeah I could see that it would be. Water was super clear and sandy banks. Pretty lake overall but whoever drove rebar in those stumps ought to be neutered. Wasn't just in that one cove either. The parking lot at the park would hold probably 75 trailers but they only have 1 tiny ramp. 20 boats show up one morning and it'll take an hour to get them all in the water, lol.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Lake Hawkins - 11/01/17 10:51 PM

Learned how to really figure it out on this Lake.... caught my first 7 pound bass there in 1980 when it was still a big fish...had my picture on the wall of the fish hawk many times for 5's and 6's....bet I went through a thousand packs of electric blue mister twister worms there.....so many memories there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum