Texas Fishing Forum

Thoughts on cooling water temps

Posted By: jroush

Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/27/17 04:19 PM

I'm just wondering how a cold front like we're having will affect the fish. With the cold temps and north wind, I expect we will have a drop in water temp of a few degrees very quickly. Normally I would think the bite would be slower with a cold front coming through, but I'm wondering what y'all think since this is one of the first major cold fronts of the fall. Do y'all expect this to trigger fish to be more active right now or do you think it might take a day or two or stable weather after the front to fire them up. Curious to hear your thoughts.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/27/17 04:25 PM

Personally, I would expect to find them very tight to cover with this high pressure so flipping shallow cover would be my first attack. Not overly confident they would fire on moving baits but you never know.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/27/17 04:35 PM

I think the decrease in water temp will fire the fish up in the long run, but with the high barometric pressure i think theyll be lethargic until we get a day or two with a south wind.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/27/17 08:00 PM

Cold front going into fall usually turns the bite on from good to better.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/27/17 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
Cold front going into fall usually turns the bite on from good to better.

I would agree this front is what we have been needing to get the fish fired up!
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/28/17 12:05 AM

I don't know about the florida strain, but on the northern strain if you can be on the water when that first cold front hits, the moment the wind switches to the north and for a couple of hours after is the best time to catch some pigs. It doesn't matter if it is a high pressure cold front. I don't know how many pounds of bass I have caught on those days. When that winds switches you better be on those south banks and grind it out. The windier the better.
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/28/17 03:01 AM

Fished possum kingdom today while it the temps were in the 40’s and 50’s. Caught two 4 pounders and multiple 2 pounders flipping jigs shallow and also on squarebills when I was fishing a bank with more wind. My 2¢ says this fires the fish up and tomorrow will be an even better day! Btw possum kingdom has almost only Florida strain since the state stocks Florida strain almost strictly now and there were multiple fish kills in the early 2000’s killing off ALOT of native fish.
Posted By: GriddleGrizzly

Re: Thoughts on cooling water temps - 10/28/17 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: RudiTexas
Fished possum kingdom today while it the temps were in the 40’s and 50’s. Caught two 4 pounders and multiple 2 pounders flipping jigs shallow and also on squarebills when I was fishing a bank with more wind. My 2¢ says this fires the fish up and tomorrow will be an even better day! Btw possum kingdom has almost only Florida strain since the state stocks Florida strain almost strictly now and there were multiple fish kills in the early 2000’s killing off ALOT of native fish.

Glad to hear PK. Gonna hit it tomorrow for the first time
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum