Texas Fishing Forum

New Sunglasses

Posted By: RJF1423

New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 04:50 PM

I've lost two pairs of costas to the lake this year already and I can't keep buying expensive shades that end up in the lake anymore.

Any recommendations for shades under 50-100 bucks?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 05:51 PM

I recommend you start with an accessory item known as a "retainer strap" - a device designed to insure that vision glasses don't go swimming, often available for under $10. There are even models with flotation that will float many models of sunglasses. I have fished with expensive sunglasses for 30 years with such a device, and have not once lost a pair overboard.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
I recommend you start with an accessory item known as a "retainer strap" - a device designed to insure that vision glasses don't go swimming, often available for under $10. There are even models with flotation that will float many models of sunglasses. I have fished with expensive sunglasses for 30 years with such a device, and have not once lost a pair overboard.
+1 cheaper then cheap sunglasses
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 06:28 PM

+2 on the strap. But if you decide to replace your Costas, save yourself a lot of $ here:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/sunglasses?p=brand%3ACosta&nf=1

Not sure why it didn't hyperlink so just cut & paste it in your browser.
Posted By: Tony_Wornick

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 06:38 PM

https://www.cablz.com/shop/?v=7516fd43adaa
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

^^what he said!! Costa's have been the best sunglasses I've ever owned. Have used at least 8 other brands and for fishing specifically I always grab my Costas. If you find a pair that fits properly you might not need a retaining strap. I use the Blackfin model and it fits snug even on my big head.

Also what the other guy said try that steepandcheap website. I got a 580 glass lens pair of Costa's for like $150 on there one time!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: RJF1423
I've lost two pairs of costas to the lake this year already and I can't keep buying expensive shades that end up in the lake anymore.

Any recommendations for shades under 50-100 bucks?
strike king from Walmart. They work.

Don't get Gargoyles or WileyX. Both have laminated lenses that delaminate.
Posted By: dlwfish

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 07:00 PM

Stop fishing...

Make more room for us on the lake, never lose sunglasses and save money!

Just kidding...

Never lost a pair and use the strap too
Posted By: BMCD

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 07:45 PM

I have Solar Bats. The Bill dance glasses are very good and nothing can beat them for the price. Plus the <$50 pair qualify for the solar bat bucks.
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 08:23 PM

I bought a pair of Onos. They are not Costas by any means. I need bifocals and couldn't find any Costas locally that fit me and had bifocals. Plus I didn't have the coin for Costas at the time. I will get Costas for next spring for sure.

These are Onos I bought. They are pretty nice, but not the quality on Costas.

https://www.amazon.com/Carabelle-Polariz...onos+sunglasses
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 08:30 PM

Been there done that; I have a pair of vintage aviator Ray Bans I keep in my truck. Bought a cheap pair on Ebay I keep on a strap. Both of my boys have lost Oakleys on the lake.
Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 09:25 PM

I've lost $350 worth of oakleys in grapevine this summer. Maybe I should invest in a magnet? hammer
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 09:40 PM

Posted By: Trcsx180

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 09:53 PM

https://amphibiaeyegear.com/
I have had them for a bit and i love them they also float
Posted By: fivebites

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 10:05 PM

Either strap or use common sense and don't run 30+ MPH and turn your head. I always warn passengers...if it's not tied down... you'll lose it. Rods, caps, sunglasses.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/26/17 10:10 PM

I finally went to Amphibias,they float!
Posted By: pil,b

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 02:48 AM

Take up golf bannana2
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 02:49 AM

Lost a brand new pair of Costas last week on Texoma. put them in the drink holder late one evening and headed back to the ramp, it was rough, lost a 500 dollar rod and reel combo as well, I knew then that my tourney was probably not going to go too well.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 03:20 AM

I wear Ono's and have worn them for about 15 years, they even come with a strap.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 04:25 AM

Oakley gascan. You can find them at sams all the time for around 112. I know it’s a hair over your 100 mark but we’ll worth it. At most places they are 150 to 160
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 09:08 AM

You guys must have more money to burn than I do....I always take care of a pricey item like that. I've got a real nice pair of used Costa Fathom 400 glass amber lenses that I would sell to you cheap. PM, if interested.
Posted By: C.Seymour

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 02:11 PM

Had some ''cheaper'' oakley's fly off my hat in Lewisville. I found a pair of Magellans at Academy that I actually don't mind.
Posted By: BoneDiamond

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 03:34 PM

Smith Optics
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 11:38 PM

Get the strap and forget about ever loosing another pair
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/27/17 11:44 PM

Speaking of.....I just picked up my new Rx Costas. God I wish they didn't give me double vision. I'd think I caught two at a time every cast.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/28/17 07:02 PM

Smith. Used them for over 10 years. I've had Costas, Oakleys, Spy, etc. I keep going back to Smith
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/29/17 02:57 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I have had the worst luck this year it seems with fishing. I had my first pair for 7 years and took really good care of them. Heck they still had no scratches on them. And then somehow I lose two pairs in the lake this year.
Posted By: Fishinchristian

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/29/17 03:00 AM

get some amphibia glasses no strap needed they float! best glasses for fishing out there
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: New Sunglasses - 10/29/17 09:37 AM

Use straps or get the glasses that float.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum