Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling motor pull string

Posted By: Bissett

Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 03:53 PM

This may sound like a dumb question but where can you buy good string/rope for your pull string for cheap? I'm not interested in paying $30 for the cable ones since the string has worked on mine for the last several years and I don't plan on having my boat that much longer anyways. I know it's a small investment but I could use the few dollars for other things lol

Thanks
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 03:57 PM

Pull start cord. Ck. your local lawn mower shop.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 03:57 PM

Lawn mower cord at Home Depot or lowes.
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 04:00 PM

Mine broke earlier this year and I replaced it with some paracord that my son had gotten at Walmart. Works great and is very durable.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueSkeeter13
Mine broke earlier this year and I replaced it with some paracord that my son had gotten at Walmart. Works great and is very durable.

Paracord is the way to go. Get whatever color you want and re-use the handle.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

^^^^This. I broke the cord on my TM and got a spool of 1/4" poly cord, but it doesn't last that long. The nylon paracord lasts much longer and is much stronger, which is what I will be going to when my poly is gone.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 04:40 PM

Yep, lawn mower rope, can get it at any hardware store, buy extra and keep a length pre-cut with your extra TM prop.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 04:41 PM

nice! Thanks for the info
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 05:43 PM

Go to home depot and buy some plastic covered cable. Will never break and you can use your existing handle
Posted By: Abner

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 05:46 PM

Walmart - camping aisle In sporting goods dept - cut to length - burns the ends use old handle. Under $5
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 07:29 PM

I did paracord too. Durable and cheap
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 08:37 PM

I went to Home Depot and bought one of those thin strands of braided metal, so that it's more durable than rope. I don't recall what it's called or its intended use, but it's probably on those rolls that's close to the rope and chain. It's plenty limber (almost as much so as rope) and super durable. I'd put it up there with one of my better original ideas wink
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/24/17 10:35 PM

550 paracord, 6 years and showing no wear.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
This may sound like a dumb question but where can you buy good string/rope for your pull string for cheap? I'm not interested in paying $30 for the cable ones since the string has worked on mine for the last several years and I don't plan on having my boat that much longer anyways. I know it's a small investment but I could use the few dollars for other things lol

Thanks

Home Depot. wire rope coated with green plastic coating believe it’s 1/32 in dia but can’t recall. They sell 1/32 clamps in same area that you can clamp down with vice grips and elbow grease or there is a clamping tool. Will not have to replace cord again. Oh and it may cost you all of $5 and your time.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 01:02 PM

Replaced a broken rope on mine with 3/16" coated cable. Works better than the rope ever did and 1/3 the price of the 'aftermarket' cables with the oversized handles.
Posted By: mysticslobra

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker
Replaced a broken rope on mine with 3/16" coated cable. Works better than the rope ever did and 1/3 the price of the 'aftermarket' cables with the oversized handles.

x2, I spent like $6 total
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 01:34 PM

I use tar coated trot-line cord.
Posted By: Tc24

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 01:37 PM

Berkley 25lb Big Game... Make sure you wet the line when pulling the knot tight..... lizard
Posted By: Tc24

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 01:47 PM

Ok, maybe Big Game isn't what I actually used...lol. Truth is I found a new in the package replacement cord from eBay for around 7.50 shipped to my door...even came with a new handle....:)
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: mysticslobra

That's about what I spent. Cable was <$2 and hardware was about $4-$6 since I bought extra I can always use on other projects.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Go to home depot and buy some plastic covered cable. Will never break and you can use your existing handle

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 07:34 PM

Mule tape. It's what they pull cable with. It has something like 10,000 lbs capacity and never wears out.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mudshark
I use tar coated trot-line cord.
Do you dip it in Flexseal?
Posted By: mysticslobra

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: mysticslobra

That's about what I spent. Cable was <$2 and hardware was about $4-$6 since I bought extra I can always use on other projects.

Haha, yep, that is exactly what I did as well. Great minds!!
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 09:58 PM

The only thing wrong with that is it will wear a groove over time in the grommet.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/25/17 10:11 PM

I have some that I bought at West Marine several years ago. They carry a lot of different types of rope because they sell a lot of sailing equipment.

This stuff is thin, black, high strength and fairly inexpensive.
I bought about 10 feet of it but five years later, I still have the same piece on the trolling motor.

Check West Marine, either a store or online.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/26/17 12:26 PM

If you need more than the original rope to lift or stow your trolling motor, something is wrong....out of adjustment or bent. When I stopped using those isolation bolts to mount trolling motors to boats, most of these problems went away. Just a light tap on the head, and the lock releases. Keep the locking pins greased.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/26/17 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
If you need more than the original rope to lift or stow your trolling motor, something is wrong....out of adjustment or bent. When I stopped using those isolation bolts to mount trolling motors to boats, most of these problems went away. Just a light tap on the head, and the lock releases. Keep the locking pins greased.

I think it depends on the trolling motor. Plenty of my old Maxxum's and Motorguides were really heavy and didn't have lift assist so I went through ropes every 2-3 years.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/26/17 01:00 PM

Well after replacing my cord a few times I finally bought the G-Force cable and handle. It was $20 but I like it a lot. The handle is much better and the cable seems to be invincible.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Trolling motor pull string - 10/26/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Zachary

The only thing wrong with that is it will wear a groove over time in the grommet.

That would take some time and a lot of pulling the trolling motor up and down .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum