Texas Fishing Forum

How many lures do you never use?

Posted By: K.D.

How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 04:02 AM

I was organizing my boat for the umpteenth time and realized how often I grab a box (top water for example) and always grab the same 1-3 lures. I'm either gonna grab a yellow magic, a spook or my favorite prop bait. The rest I will never use. In my mind if I can't catch them on one of those they aren't hitting top water.

I bet I have 25 pounds of soft plastics that I know I'll never grab. I'm slowly eliminating this stuff.

So how much tackle do you carry that you will probably never use?
Posted By: Tiltedtitan

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 05:18 AM

I would say I fall in the category of... just in case. As I am not a guide, I don't know what might be working that day. Several times, having that extra has paid off. But on average, whatever I have tied on is generally what I am sticking with. I will change out my soft plastics. I will change out my sq bill between char/black, shad and craw. I will almost never throw deep cranks. I have no confidence in jerbaits. But... I still bring the boxes, LOL.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 05:38 AM

I have some baits that are well over 30 years old, I don't use them very often but, my theory if they caught fish back then they will catch fish now, and probably haven't been educated on them. Just my thoughts. laugh
Posted By: John175☮

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 10:35 AM

I have one box loaded with "GO-TO" baits.

I use them 99% of the time.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 11:29 AM

I don't need this kind of negativity in my life. Of course I need them all.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 12:09 PM

the ones that stay on the deck get used the most...
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 01:09 PM

If I'm going to a highly pressured fishery or driving more than 2 hours to a lake, I'm taking my confidence lures.

Those can fit in one box. But, I'll need to take two boxes so that I have at least three of everything; and if I don't know the current water clarity, maybe three boxes so that I have five of everything in a couple of different colors.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 02:15 PM

We have all been there and I am sure we all can get rid of a few things. Please consider donating and this is a good start.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12471060/#Post12471060
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
I was organizing my boat for the umpteenth time and realized how often I grab a box (top water for example) and always grab the same 1-3 lures. I'm either gonna grab a yellow magic, a spook or my favorite prop bait. The rest I will never use. In my mind if I can't catch them on one of those they aren't hitting top water.

I bet I have 25 pounds of soft plastics that I know I'll never grab. I'm slowly eliminating this stuff.

I did this when I had a Z522 Ranger on fork. The wind was up so high one day so I decided to stay and take out everything I wasn't using then and have baits in one box at the house that I will use sometime during the year and those I will never use again. I ended up taking out about70% of everything in the boat. I put about 20 precent of the 70% and put in the box I will use sometime during the year. The other 50% went in the never use again, most of them where big crank baits. I just don't like standing out there cranking all day. I ended up catching more fish after that because I didn't stand out there all day wonder should I be using ??? I started just fishing and catching fish. I keep about 4 colors in most baits. I should when I get back down to the lake get all of that stuff and give to a high school team that would use then.
Posted By: buda13

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 03:19 PM

I need a gallon bag in each color of Repo Craws and a gallon bag in each color of tornados on the boat at all times.... roflmao
Posted By: Barn

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 03:46 PM

Probably 60-70% for me. I keep threatening to do the same on thinning out my tackle.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 03:54 PM

I only use about 5% of what I bring

Horrible I know but there might be that one day I need one of the other lures.........
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 04:32 PM

My philosophy is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I think...
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 05:02 PM

WAAAAYYY to many
Posted By: greenen

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 05:16 PM

About 98% of them.
Posted By: Thor Outdoors

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 05:25 PM

If anyone has any lures they don't use and would love to donate them to a high school tournament fisherman I know your guy.
Posted By: Monte Coon

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 05:53 PM

Same here I have all kinds of [censored] I will never use!!! Always end up throwing the same 5-6 baits...
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 06:04 PM

When I was tournament fishing I built up a huge collection of "defensive" baits. Stuff that I would never choose on my own, but that I kept just in case my partner for that day started catching a bunch of fish on it.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: greenen
About 98% of them.
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 11:12 PM

About 95%. I fish the same soft plastics most of the time because I have cofidence in them and they seem to catch fish.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/20/17 11:39 PM

....edit....

NEVER USE? Oh hell....millions! I don't own em all. Just 241 that I use.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 10/21/17 12:59 AM

90% of what I have in the boat. LOL I also have a ton of back ups in case I run low on something in the boat.
Posted By: superfrog

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/02/17 03:20 AM

If we only had more arms and hands to handle more rods and lures. Maybe there is something to party boat trolling.
Posted By: TR176

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/02/17 03:37 AM

I have donated about 30% of my tackle so far. I just looked at some stuff again today about another 30% needs to go. That being said I could throw nothing but Senkos every time I fished for the next five years and not run out. I cannot resist a sale on my favorite baits. Deep diving crankbaits were the first to go.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/02/17 11:50 AM

There's not a lure I own that I wouldn't use for a certain situation. A lot may sit there for a couple years but when I need them it's good to have them. This last time I went I used some craws that I haven't used in a few years. Ended up catching some real good fish on them
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/02/17 12:15 PM

i throw topwaters 99% of the time, and, of course, i bring 20 of 'em, but use 3...oh, and i have another billion lures at home that might see water once, but for whatever reason i didnt care for em...fishing is as bad as golf when it comes to gear, lol
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/03/17 01:23 AM

95% of them.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/03/17 01:35 AM

I have never caught a fish on a swimbait or a swim jig. I caught my first spinner bait fish in five years last month.

I carry all of the above to the lake with me every time I go.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/03/17 01:30 PM

Most of them.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/03/17 02:18 PM

About half of them I have never touched since I bought them. I like to collect baits just as much as I like to use them apparently.
Posted By: Banker Fisherman

Re: How many lures do you never use? - 11/03/17 02:24 PM

This always brings up an interesting thought...sometimes just picking a bait or lure that you have never used and just forcing yourself to throw it for a few hours or days of fishing...just build confidence in it, or just to try it out.
There are just times when you are picking up some more hooks or weights or whatever and you just see a new soft plastic or lure and think, "Now that looks like it can catch fish!" you buy it and then rig it up 2 years later :P
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum