Texas Fishing Forum

Do looks affect the sale?

Posted By: i-Fish

Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:18 AM

I'm looking at a new boat in-store. It's not your typical glass boat paint job. It ain't sparkly, it ain't loud and it likely does not excite anyone by its appearance in color. It is not an ugly boat by any means but....

For those of you who have bought, sold and seen boats being sold how much does the paint job play a part in selling? May be an odd question, I know, but while I, as a young guy, dig the look of this boat I'm aware that it doesn't fit the typical mold of what a glass boat "should" look like...

Thanks!
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:26 AM

wopics

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
wopics

Lol. Fair enough - but I'm not asking your personal opinion on if you would buy this particular boat really. I'm asking if you would personally not buy because of a non-typical paint scheme.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:34 AM

I mean, it's all a personal preference. If you think it looks good then that's all that really matters. I'd certainly consider paint scheme on a boat that I was about to buy, especially because of resale.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:37 AM

Its like anything. If you buy a house to restore and sell, you keep it very neutral to appeal to a broader market. If you plan on keeping it, then do what appeals to you.

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
I mean, it's all a personal preference. If you think it looks good then that's all that really matters. I'd certainly consider paint scheme on a boat that I was about to buy, especially because of resale.

Bingo! That's what I'm looking for. I know that this particular boat isn't going to become a collector's item in the next 5-6 years when I intend on selling it so resale-ability is definitely something I have to consider. Gracias.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:38 AM

I like more modest colored stuff, but the odd colored stuff is cool to look at.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: jcwebb70
Its like anything. If you buy a house to restore and sell, you keep it very neutral to appeal to a broader market. If you plan on keeping it, then do what appeals to you.

You've been watching Chip and Joanna too much, webb. Very few people want a tan, grey or brown boat.

An eye catching boat, just like a lure, will catch the most fish (buyers). 100% of the time.

There will always be those folks who are looking for the boat described by the OP. And the resale value will be comparable to the "pretty" boats. Just going to take longer to sell since the target mkt will be small.
Posted By: Guide Richie White

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:56 AM

If you get a pretty boat, you'll want to keep it looking pretty. I prefer to polish mine with Lake Fork stumps.
Posted By: Trcsx180

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 01:53 AM

i polished mine up pretty good then through the stump fields on lake waco
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 03:51 AM

Looks many time are deceiving; I'd be more interested in what condition the hull and the motor was in. Cosmetics don't make you a good boat.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 11:03 AM

Ever how long that boat has been on the showroom floor plan on taking at least twice that long for you to resell it. Most, if not all people want a boat that's a little different but still attractive. There's a difference between different and weird and both are subjective. I always bought a boat I thought everyone else would want because I knew the day would come when I'd want another new one. JMO.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:45 PM

there is a buyer for every boat off the wall colors are harder to sell than boats that are easy on the eyes. if it is a off color an has set on a dealers lot for over a year there have been a lot of folks pass on it over the time it has set. if something is for sale an does not move it is one of two things appearance or price . with the age of the net if it is on a dealers floor a lot of folks have seen it .
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:51 PM

For most people, bass boats are a luxury item, much like sports cars

You don’t see many dull gray or brown corvettes. I imagine the resale value of a red corvette is highest. Followed by black, white, silver, racing green, pewter/gun metal. Then yellow, blue, orange, then gold. Odd colors like purple or pink might be the only ones with less demand compared to brown or dull gray.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 12:52 PM

I would like to know what color of boat is so funky that you started a thread on it, you have my curiosity at a peak. Please do share.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 01:05 PM

Things often look better on the showroom floor.

I'd pick a color you really like but stay with a "standard" in the event you ever want to sell it.

Brad

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Guide Richie White
If you get a pretty boat, you'll want to keep it looking pretty. I prefer to polish mine with Lake Fork stumps.

roflmao

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
I would like to know what color of boat is so funky that you started a thread on it, you have my curiosity at a peak. Please do share.

I wouldn’t consider it “funky”, just atypical.
This pic isn’t exactly right but it’s very close...

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 01:36 PM

All flat colors. No sparkle.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish

That's not funky and won't affect re-sale........ now a PURPLE boat....... THAT affects re-sale. Just ask some of the dudes on here who have tried to sell purple boats. Boats with large amounts of yellow too. They take a long time to sell. White as the main color is king when it comes to boats and is easiest to sell. But that isn't crazy what you just showed. Don't think that will have a hard time re-selling at all.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 02:03 PM

That's a cool boat. I'd call it gun metal gray. Might be difficult to see on a cloudy day/dawn/dusk.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 02:04 PM

Yes, unless person is visually impaired.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 02:15 PM

It is mostly the white part of that boat that will affect the re-sale!

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 02:39 PM

It is mostly the white part of that boat that will affect the re-sale![/quote]

Uncalled for. Lol
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

That's not funky and won't affect re-sale........ now a PURPLE boat....... THAT affects re-sale. Just ask some of the dudes on here who have tried to sell purple boats. Boats with large amounts of yellow too. They take a long time to sell. White as the main color is king when it comes to boats and is easiest to sell. But that isn't crazy what you just showed. Don't think that will have a hard time re-selling at all.

I agree. Just look at the new color of Toyota’s, kind of a dull muted natural color and they are selling.

Now if the seats are black they will get freaking hot! I have black seats and they suck.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 04:51 PM

mine is mainly yellow, then a little red, then black, with black hull. I get a ton of compliments on the boat color, and it has no sparkle.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag

It is mostly the white part of that boat that will affect the re-sale!

roflmao this is also very true
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 08:41 PM

Don't know if this is a clue or a theory but since you posted a pic of a Nitro here goes. Being a BPS customer one thing I've noticed everytime I visit the store, the pretty shiny boats are inside on the showroom floor. The bland and not so shiny boats are stored outside in the weather. I like all the pretty shiny boats on the showroom floor and of course they are more expensive but those are the boats that get my money. If you plan on keeping the boat say 10 years and plan on rubbing on a lot of stumps like Richie said then it won't matter much what kind or color. I always kept my boats in the garage, kept the finish and interior nice and figured out a way to catch fish without a lot of scratches and always got a nice price on re-sell. It's your money and you should know by now after your recent boat purchase what's important to you and you are all that matters when buying a boat. Oops I forgot, you're married so you do have a second opinion and women are pretty sharp shoppers.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 09:08 PM

Looks good to me.

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Don't know if this is a clue or a theory but since you posted a pic of a Nitro here goes. Being a BPS customer one thing I've noticed everytime I visit the store, the pretty shiny boats are inside on the showroom floor. The bland and not so shiny boats are stored outside in the weather. I like all the pretty shiny boats on the showroom floor and of course they are more expensive but those are the boats that get my money. If you plan on keeping the boat say 10 years and plan on rubbing on a lot of stumps like Richie said then it won't matter much what kind or color. I always kept my boats in the garage, kept the finish and interior nice and figured out a way to catch fish without a lot of scratches and always got a nice price on re-sell. It's your money and you should know by now after your recent boat purchase what's important to you and you are all that matters when buying a boat. Oops I forgot, you're married so you do have a second opinion and women are pretty sharp shoppers.

The missus doesn’t care for the paint scheme but she doesn’t like bass boats in general. Many reasons I’ve keyed in on that particular boat. ‘17 model comes with a discount and it isn’t completely decked out at another 10k. I can make my desired additions right away and still be reasonable cost wise, relatively speaking. I think the color is cool but it’s not my first choice. Definitely going to treat her well but be the best angler I can be and she’ll always be garage kept.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 10:24 PM

Local Ford dealer has a car I want. Being red is a deal breaker.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 11:13 PM

This color scheme is my definition of neutral, when referencing bass boats. House was analogy. I think someone on here used corvettes as an example, which is good too. If you are buying a ski boat or powerboat, preferable colors are much different. Seen LSU colored Rangers, which is fine if you are an LSU fan, but limited market.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/20/17 11:39 PM

A neutral colored boat is one that is mostly white, with some smaller graphics. Grey carpet, and seats.

Wide appeal.

I , personally, think the boat pictured looks kinda cool, but, like the Toyotas and Hondas that are being sold lately, I think it would be considered a fad and not as appealing in a few years.

Basic colors keep value.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I think it would be considered a fad and not as appealing in a few years.

Basic colors keep value.

Yep. See BassKats from 93-98, they loved them some teal and aqua, lol.

if you are going to keep it, buy what you like. If you are going to sale it and get another one ever few years, stick with a good looking, but more conventional scheme. To the original question, a non-traditional color scheme might not affect the actual price you get, but it will almost certainly affect the length of time it takes to move it - its a numbers game. And if you are in a position where you have to move it quick, it will almost certainly affect the price.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 01:51 AM

Is it oxidized? bass boat should have a glossy finish

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

I say flat but, yea, it is a glossy finish. I should have just said that there was no flake in the paint. Glossy dark grey and glossy black is the color.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 02:24 AM

In my opinion, there's a reason there are so many flashy, bright colored boats running around and that's because manufacturer's spend a lot of money on research every year figuring out exactly what will sell best. They've realized most people in the market for a bass boat want to be noticed and are willing to pay handsomely for it, so they make a lot more metallic flake boats than regular glossy gel colors.

That and 50 cents....
Posted By: GROD

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 02:50 AM

I really like that boat pictured!!!!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 04:22 AM

Are you buying it for you or for a future owner? If you like it then buy it. Any color combo will have fans and people who hate it. You only need to please one person when you sell it.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 10:26 AM

I majjin!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/21/17 11:50 PM

I say flat but, yea, it is a glossy finish. I should have just said that there was no flake in the paint. Glossy dark grey and glossy black is the color.

Is it this one? http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...itro_591#UNREAD

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/22/17 11:31 AM

Is it this one? http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...itro_591#UNREAD

No. It’s a new boat.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Do looks affect the sale? - 10/22/17 06:36 PM

Do not under stand this color stuff , maybe it's me , bought my Skeeter used in 05 , it is used like a work truck , paid cash , still have it , stump marks , etc . do not fish in open water , it's a 202zx . Guess what color ? Forrest Green . Bought to be my last Bass Boat most important got a sweet deal on it .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum