Texas Fishing Forum

Lavon

Posted By: firefighter196965

Lavon - 10/17/17 12:52 PM

I have an opportunity to purchase an older home (70’s) that is on a nice piece of property (1acre) that the back yard butts up to the Corp land (about 1/4 mile to water). It is well below market value so it’s very tempting. Will Lavon ever clear up? Do you think she will stay at the same level or be drained again? Is there a power plant there? Does anyone bass fish Lavon at all? Comments please....
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lavon - 10/17/17 01:03 PM

1. Lavon will never be clear. If it gets infested with zebra mussels it could clear some
2. Lavon is one of the first lakes to drop significantly in a drought. Droughts in this part of Texas are inevitable
3. There is a power plant there, but the discharge is small. Only runs if the water level can support it and during peak demand periods (it rarely runs)
4. Lavon is great for catfish and sand bass. Good for crappie. At times, it can shine for bass fishing
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Lavon - 10/17/17 01:48 PM

Grew up on a piece of property on Lavon just like youre describing and have fished it my whole life. Its not known for its bass fishing but if you look at the results of any tournament, the weights are up there with any of the big name lakes. Its not a numbers lake but you rarely catch anything out there that's not quality. Just broke my PB out there when I was back home visiting in August with a 9 lber.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Lavon - 10/17/17 07:19 PM

RHBC fishes Lavon every year and every year it takes a really good sack of fish to win out there. The bass fishing is usually pretty good and sometimes is exceptional. There are also times you can walk on the sand bass out there and I hear crappie fishing is excellent too.
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: Lavon - 10/17/17 10:05 PM

Just FYI, That is not a Power Plant. It is a water treatment plant. That plant does not heat the lake up, but the outlet does have a little warmer water in the winter. IM me and I'll tell you where the real deal is on that lake in the winter.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Lavon - 10/17/17 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishn_man
Just FYI, That is not a Power Plant. It is a water treatment plant. That plant does not heat the lake up, but the outlet does have a little warmer water in the winter. IM me and I'll tell you where the real deal is on that lake in the winter.

The one on the Allen side is a treatment plant and has clear, warm water discharge. The one on the east side of the lake is a power plant.
Posted By: fishincontrol

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 12:38 AM

Been a power plant at Little Ridge for as long as I can remember.
Why would anybody say IM me to a stranger to give up "the real deal" to a stranger?
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 12:41 AM

roflmao
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 02:02 AM

I like Lavon, won a club tourny out there last year and caught two 8lbers there this year. Last few trips have been tough though.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 02:18 AM

I'm glad this thread is here, have caught some nice bass in the past at Lavon, but have caught 2 bass in my last 9 trips there over the past 3 weeks. Have no idea where the bass are
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 12:35 PM

Lavon was tough in our tourney couple weekends ago. Weighed no fish. Usually quality out there though, have been in the boat when a 9 pounder was caught and I have pulled in a 6.8 out of that lake.

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 01:09 PM

So I'm curious since you say this is a "power plant", where is the power sent to? Where are the transmission lines? What fuel are they burning to generate power?

You have all the answers here so, let's here some of these....

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 01:11 PM

Because he's thinking about investing in land, so, I don't mind helping a guy out. Why don't you try to answer of the of the "power plant questions as well"?
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: fishincontrol
Been a power plant at Little Ridge for as long as I can remember.
Why would anybody say IM me to a stranger to give up "the real deal" to a stranger?

Because fishing is supposed to be FUN ..... & some people don't mind telling a few others about the best spots on a lake to go fish.
it's not like a thousand people are going to run out and fish Lake Lavon because one guy told another guy about some good fishing areas.
That is actually what this world needs ..... a little more in the way of help .... instead of being self-centered & all about me,,,me,,,me.
clap
fish welcome
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 03:10 PM

So I'm curious since you say this is a "power plant", where is the power sent to? Where are the transmission lines? What fuel are they burning to generate power?

You have all the answers here so, let's here some of these....

I'm not him, but I'll be your huckleberry!

Garland Power and Light, it is a gas turbine power facility. Power lines run from little ridge east then south.

Intake is onthe south canal, outflow (including a bypass of the plant) is just northeast of the ramp.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 03:13 PM

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 04:28 PM

Then I was wrong. I didn't think it was a power plant so I stand corrected and apologize for wrong information.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 04:32 PM

The power plant is only good for sand bass anyway. And for luring all the Lavon newbies away from the actual good spots.

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog
The power plant is only good for sand bass anyway. And for luring all the Lavon newbies away from the actual good spots.

Hmmmm. Okay. grin
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 05:21 PM

Last few weeks have been tough. Turn-over in some areas and just not a good time to catchem.

collincountytx gave good answers.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 06:11 PM

Then I was wrong. I didn't think it was a power plant so I stand corrected and apologize for wrong information

Yeah Fishn_man,,, you were wrong about the power plant ,,,,,, BUT ,,,,, you were right on target for trying to help the man out with some good fishing spots on Lavon. Again I clap you for that. we need more folks like you fishing around here.
woot flag

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 06:46 PM

Thanks flukeman83. That's what this forum use to be more about, but I also don't have a problem saying when I'm wrong.
Posted By: T-Gauntt

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 08:14 PM

It was definitely a tough summer, but the bite is starting to turn back on. I caught them pretty good out there yesterday, and I know others did too. The water level on Lavon fluctuates like crazy. It's 2 main purposes are drinking water and flood control. You can check the water level online at waterdatafortexas.org. The lower the water level, the better the bite in my opinion. I caught my 10# PB on valentines day over 2 years ago when the lake was 13 feet low.

If you're going to buy water front property on Lavon you better build up on high ground. Not sure if COE will let you put a personal dock on Lavon either. I don't believe I have ever seen a single dock outside of the marinas.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 09:08 PM

theres no bass in lavon, fork is the only place to go for bass!
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Lavon - 10/18/17 11:55 PM

[quote=flukeman83]
it's not like a thousand people are going to run out and fish Lake Lavon because one guy told another guy about some good fishing areas.
[quote]

Wrong. You should see all the boats out there when someone posts a few big fish pictures. It amazes me that people would come to a lake just because fish pictures are posted. Last winter there were more wrapped boats and prostaffers out there thanks to TFF and Facebook.

Ill be heading to Grandburry this week with no knowledge because I saw some big fish pictures. When I get there Ill post and ask for help after getting no bites. #cupcakes
Posted By: fishincontrol

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 01:40 AM

Well here we go...the power plant has been there since around 1967 and is weird as it's powered by natural gas.I thought that it used coal back in the eighties. Garland Power and Light own/operate it and it's named after Ray Olinger.
The bass fishing on that lake has really taken an upswing in the past 20 years. A 6-pounder back in the day was considered a trophy whereas nowadays an 8 will barely get a nod.
10-pounders in Lavon were unheard of 10 years ago, as the lake record stood at 9 and change since 1958 until Stuart weighed an 11+ fatty last year (or the year before). Since then I know of at least 1 bigger that was released prior to getting an official weight.
There are a few "spots" that used to produce big fish and they have been exploited via the go-pro heroes. It is now like get in line and wait to fish areas that were once "not so popular". Social media and high-end electronics make it easy for folks these days...it took me about 30 years to figure things out on that mudhole.
The real deal is to figure it out and have fun doing it. It's only 22,000 acres and not that hard to break down, especially in the winter. No vegetation when it's low, except in a few creeks...lots of standing timber and rip-rap though.
I think I'm a pretty decent guy and I shoot straight with folks, but I simply draw the line at giving up specifics. This does remind me of the Granbury thread!!!
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 01:58 AM

Well here we go...the power plant has been there since around 1967 and is weird as it's powered by natural gas.I thought that it used coal back in the eighties. Garland Power and Light own/operate it and it's named after Ray Olinger.
The bass fishing on that lake has really taken an upswing in the past 20 years. A 6-pounder back in the day was considered a trophy whereas nowadays an 8 will barely get a nod.
10-pounders in Lavon were unheard of 10 years ago, as the lake record stood at 9 and change since 1958 until Stuart weighed an 11+ fatty last year (or the year before). Since then I know of at least 1 bigger that was released prior to getting an official weight.
There are a few "spots" that used to produce big fish and they have been exploited via the go-pro heroes. It is now like get in line and wait to fish areas that were once "not so popular". Social media and high-end electronics make it easy for folks these days...it took me about 30 years to figure things out on that mudhole.
The real deal is to figure it out and have fun doing it. It's only 22,000 acres and not that hard to break down, especially in the winter. No vegetation when it's low, except in a few creeks...lots of standing timber and rip-rap though.
I think I'm a pretty decent guy and I shoot straight with folks, but I simply draw the line at giving up specifics. This does remind me of the Granbury thread!!!

Thanks. I forgot the you tubers. Worst thing to ever happen to fishing.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 02:27 AM

I've spent a little time on Lavon the past few years and one of my favorite things is the lake does fish big and you can get away from the community holes and catch some good fish.

If you spend the time and gas to find some new productive water.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 02:30 AM

....can you be a little more specific? Just send me waypoints....I'll know what to use when I see em.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 02:34 AM

Hope TFF is still here in 30 years so I can post my blurred background pictures of the fish I catch once I have it figured out too

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 03:51 AM

Our biggest fish this year was a 10 pounder caught at Lavon in our tournament there. One of our members went out fun fishing the next day and caught another one. There are some big girls in the ol mudhole
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
....can you be a little more specific? Just send me waypoints....I'll know what to use when I see em.
frkazoid
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim

Thanks. I forgot the you tubers. Worst thing to ever happen to fishing.

I knew I liked you for some reason Tracker Tim. thumb
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Lavon - 10/19/17 08:02 PM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum