Texas Fishing Forum

Joe Pool Quickie report

Posted By: GriddleGrizzly

Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/16/17 04:15 PM

I know all this is gonna change after this week with the cold fronts, but if you are planning on going maybe this will start you in the right direction. I went out saturday and fished from daylight to around noon. I started in one of the coves on the eastern arm of the lake (that mountain creek runs in front of) and caught 7 within about 45 minutes on a squarebill in 4-5’ of water tight against wood. Water temp first thing was 75 just about everywhere i went in the am. At around 8:30 the squarebill bite died off and i caught one or two on a shakey head just backing off a bit. I ran around and tried fishing a couple of steep banks right next to walnut creek, but that was a bust. Around 11:00 i pulled up on a brushpile in 20’, drop shotted for about 2 hours, and caught 8 doing that. 15 was the total for the morning. Most were unders, with a couple squeaker slots mixed in. Looks like they’re in all different depths right now. Hopefully after this week they’ll make a mad dash for the creeks and we can see some 20-25 fish days.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/16/17 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info. It's been tough the last few times i've been out there. Been catching a few flipping brush and a few on a white chatterbait close to the brush.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/16/17 08:56 PM

Very nice report. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/17/17 03:45 AM

Thanks very much for the tips.. I haven't fished in a couple of weeks and looking at hitting the Pool on Wed.

BD
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/19/17 12:37 AM

Going with my pastor Friday morning. How has the lake changed since I've been out all week? Advice please.

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/19/17 01:23 AM

Greg,

I havent been out since this weekend, but i would imagine the water temps have dropped a couple more degrees and more fish will have moved into the creeks from the main lake. I still think there will be a good number of fish out on main lake structure anywhere from 10-20’ but the reaction bite in the creeks should be getting ready ro go full swing soon. Hope you and your pastor whack em.
Posted By: WattoFish

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/19/17 03:04 PM

What is the boat run like south of Lake Ridge Pkwy/Mansfield Rd bridge coming from the main lake?

Also is launching at Britton Park advisable?
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/19/17 03:34 PM

I don't know the answer to your question..I've never run south of the bridge on the east side of the lake. I think that several guys have commented that some of the buoys are missing. I fished yesterday on the west side of the lake.. caught 4 dinks.
BD
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/19/17 04:14 PM

Water was 71 two days ago. I'm not sure if Britton park is still open. They're only operating certain times of the year. I haven't quite made it back that far but there are buoys in the lane but heard they had moved and weren't accurate. I ran it slow several times and marked my own lane.

Fishing has been decent the last several days for numbers but they're all small. Still catching in 20' on humps and points with c- rig lizard as well as under 5' with baby brush hog or small worm.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/19/17 07:48 PM

Is the Wednesday night tourney over with? I drove through the state Park and didn't see many boats.

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/19/17 10:20 PM

I heard it was.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Joe Pool Quickie report - 10/21/17 12:38 AM

Grizzly, the fish haven't moved up the creek yet. Fished walnut creek for about an hour and didn't get a bite. Got 4 on a drop shot in 18 feet of water around structure, and 2 others on a brush hog on a T-rig in the channel just across from Loyd park. Not bad for 3 hours on pool. Most were 1-2, but 2 were 3 or a bit more. We had a really warm fall. Hopefully temps will stay down once this front goes through.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum