Texas Fishing Forum

Headed to Red!!

Posted By: Champion1

Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 01:53 PM

On the road to the Red River!! Good luck to all the Champs guys!! Be safe!
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 02:24 PM

Good luck, weather will be changing in the afternoon on Sunday there around 11 am here
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 02:27 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 02:51 PM

Good luck, safe travels and hope all you Champs boys have a great time!
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 02:54 PM

You need to win something Rick, cause you have just been stinking it up the last 3 years. It's time, your due, good luck!
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 03:04 PM

We will be there in the morning. Really looking forward to it. They always put on a good show and now we just need the fish to cooperate.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 06:18 PM

Can't wait see these sweet weights come the weekend. Should be real toad fest cry
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 07:13 PM

We used to Fish it in the BFL, but they dropped it from the Schedule. It was fun the few times I fished it. I think I fished three tournaments. That place can be hard on boats.

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 10:38 PM

You are correct Billy. I've had bout 8-10 calls for back up boats incase some break there's lol
Posted By: Skeeter Bite

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 11:35 PM

As long as you idle areas you don't know it's not that bad. Yea its worse than most lakes and you have some long idles but just slow down. Be careful of other boats running into mcdade. Veer left coming out of port lake until you are in the middle of the river. That stick floating down the river might be a branch from a 20' barely submerged tree so go wide. Ok maybe it is kinda bad.

Also it's a tournament for a $70,000 rig. Who cares if a 11lbs/day wins.
Posted By: dlwfish

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/11/17 11:49 PM

Well.... we made a $5K mistake today.

Don't cut to the right until you clear the red buoys.

Never even put a line in the water............

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 12:13 AM

Yea there's rocks there! Don't cut till ur in middle of river!!!

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 12:19 AM

https://imgur.com/gallery/Hb5QA

This is where rocks are!!
Posted By: Skeeter Bite

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 12:26 AM

That sucks. It really should be marked.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: mudd
https://imgur.com/gallery/Hb5QA

This is where rocks are!!

Whre is that coming out of?

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 01:09 AM

That's coming out Port lake!

Also it is marked per the bouy. Water way commission is out of money after floods for few years so we have to do word of mouth on our issues.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 01:12 AM

Anyone know if Champs is making limit 14 inches or 12.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
Anyone know if Champs is making limit 14 inches or 12.

The qualification flyer they snail mailed me a few months ago stated 14" min.

Good luck to all you guys out there, be safe!
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/12/17 06:11 PM

If it's 14" instead of 12" yikes... LA is 12" but I guess the Tourney can make its own rules.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/14/17 01:51 AM

After 2 1/2 days of scouting we had caught a total of 2 fish over 14 inches. We loaded up and came home. Good luck to everyone , stay safe out there!

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/14/17 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
After 2 1/2 days of scouting we had caught a total of 2 fish over 14 inches. We loaded up and came home. Good luck to everyone , stay safe out there!

I went down to the marina and heard this from several teams. But did hear 2-4 teams did find some.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/16/17 12:16 PM

233 boats. 2 5 fish limits. 21.81lbs won it. 9.8lbish took the last check. The 14" thing sure hurt people, wish they would have let em use the 12" LA rules. Got to meet Fish Fishburne!! What a cool dude!
Posted By: Neches

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/16/17 02:04 PM

Anybody keep track of how many boats were tore up
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/16/17 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
233 boats. 2 5 fish limits. 21.81lbs won it. 9.8lbish took the last check. The 14" thing sure hurt people, wish they would have let em use the 12" LA rules. Got to meet Fish Fishburne!! What a cool dude!
Wow looks like a lot of sore thumbs from taking off all those fish bolt I went for 2 years and after last trip will NEVER go back!
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/16/17 04:02 PM

Glad we stayed home. To long of a trip for a less then mediocre fishery. Simply judging from the sticks I recognize on the results and their total weights. Also, I would prefer to keep it in Texas especially since all the divisions are in Texas. Just my $0.02
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/16/17 06:55 PM

We had a good time and enjoyed the experience. Narrowly missed a check. We caught 14 fish sat and 12 fish Sun but only managed 3 keepers.
Im always impressed with Bass Champs and how well they handle large tournaments.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Headed to Red!! - 10/16/17 08:52 PM

There is no mistaking the show Chad, Jeff and team put on is always great. We always travel in a group of 3 teams and definitely had our share of fun but man that fishing did suck big time. In 2 days of practice, we all had 2 keepers each that we actually hooked, half of which were fish that just wouldn't let go and/or set the hook on themselves.
Then on Saturday none of us caught a keeper but all caught about 5-8 fish.

Bass Champs can't control how the fish bite and quite frankly in another year or 2 when the grass comes back the fishing should get much better on the Red. The welcome dinner was great and in general we had a blast just wish the fishing was better or that we could have weighed in those 12" fish. The weights and limits would have been much higher across the board.

Already looking forward to next year.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum