Texas Fishing Forum

Weighted Wacky Rig

Posted By: Shallow Waters

Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 02:19 PM

I use a weightless wacky rig quiet a bit around docks, but I was thinking of trying a weighted wacky rig in other areas this weekend. For anyone out there that uses a weighted wacky rig, do you prefer the weighted jig heads or the Eco Pro Tungsten type over the hook weights?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 02:22 PM

Weedleess wacky jig in the eco pro or a Japanese Brand I always forget the name of for me!
Zappu Inchi!
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 03:05 PM

I like it weighted better, a lot more life moving it...1/8" jig head.
Posted By: Tritan Bass

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 03:13 PM

I use the nail type weight in one end (head of the lure) so it produces "wiggle" on both the fall and when you twitch it. I cut the nail weight down if I want a slower fall and if the wind is not howling.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 03:15 PM

I like my weight centered on the worm. I build lead rings to go on my senkos and trick worms. I sure wish someone would modify a mold to lay a flat washer or ring to be poured inside the bait. This would allow you to put the hook through the ring hole in a vertical position which I like much better than the side ways presentation. I feel that the vertical position increases the hook up ratio.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 03:15 PM

I'm no expert.. I have had pretty good success with a weightless wacky rigged Senko.. its all about the fall with that bait.. and my experience is the bite is on the initial fall from hitting the water to when it hits the bottom.. after that.. not near as many bites on the next rise and fall. A weighted wacky rig would seem to me to shorten the length of time that the fish will hit the bait because its falling faster.. is that wrong to think that?

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill Durham
I'm no expert.. I have had pretty good success with a weightless wacky rigged Senko.. its all about the fall with that bait.. and my experience is the bite is on the initial fall from hitting the water to when it hits the bottom.. after that.. not near as many bites on the next rise and fall. A weighted wacky rig would seem to me to shorten the length of time that the fish will hit the bait because its falling faster.. is that wrong to think that?

Not at all. Although there is some days that they like it falling faster. One such place to pitch a weighted wacky for a fast fall in inside tires. For some reason they like it falling fast. I have even found with a Trig. Senko that 1/2 oz. bullet on the nose inside tires produces more bites.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 03:20 PM

Donald,

I picked up some of these at the store, as well as some jig heads types:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores...ASABEgJA3fD_BwE

Just trying to decide which one to start with tomorrow.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 03:25 PM

Personally, I prefer a jig head. It just works better for me.

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Personally, I prefer a jig head. It just works better for me.

This; if you don't have time to make the lead rings to slide the worms through. Weight distribution makes all the difference if you will take the time to make a few. It is not hard if you have a hot solder iron and a roll of lead wire.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 04:07 PM

for me it depends on cover and water clarity. clear water around rocks / docks, i go with lighter line and the small jig-heads.

In stained water around stumps and brush, i beef up the line and go with those lake fork lead ring things with a much stouter hook.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Weedleess wacky jig in the eco pro or a Japanese Brand I always forget the name of for me!
Zappu Inchi!
Zappu Inchi is what I use.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 04:12 PM

#12 carpet tacks are a great substitute for those awfully expensive neko weights or nail weights that are nearly $4 for a pack of 10 or something silly like that. $1.30 at home depot for about 30 tacks and they are on the short side so as not to pierce the worm a long ways.

That's really about the only way I fish a wacky worm. I have some weighted jig heads but haven't used them yet. I'll usually do weightless on shallow points or pockets or it's a shaky head.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Weighted Wacky Rig - 10/06/17 05:29 PM

if you want the weight centered so you get "wiggle" on both ends --- use a clam weight crimped right above the eye of the hook on the line.
you can use various sizes for different rates of fall
I have always fished my wacky Senkos this way.
BUT ...... all these techniques work at some time or another.
I just tried the nail weight in the head and a toothpick in the other end to get more of an up & down presentation ...... it worked very well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum