Texas Fishing Forum

Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner"

Posted By: David Burton

Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 04:32 AM

Beware of the first (only?) dock on the north side of Little Mustang just past the point west of the bridge.

Dock Owner yelled to "Not touch" the dock because it was private property. Wasn't touching the dock, just fishing, and breaking off a drop shot on the inside post from about 5 feet away. 10-15 minutes later a gunshot.

Eventually he came down to 'observe', I caught some fishing line attached to a catfish, and returned a fishing rod that was attached, but he was still not happy with me being there... Should've kept the rod! But I was expecting some sort of apology.

Discussing the gunshot, he claimed he was shooting a 'Gopher' (and he chuckled about it). He complained about people coming into his dock to get lures out. Equated it to living on a golf course, and the lure being Out of Bounds. Again, wasn't me, I was just fishing the entire area.

No, I didn't report, addressed it for the most part on the water, but wanted to share my experience in case someone else needs a lack of character witness. Have TX Numbers for the boat that was in the dock.
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 05:00 AM

Did you catch any fish?
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 05:07 AM

Next time have a gun in ur boat and fire a shot I bet he won't come out. lol
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 05:09 AM

Some people equate dock equals own the lake. I was friends with guy on Lake Cisco thought no one should fish his dock.He almost had heart attack anytime someone fished his dock.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 05:43 AM

I wonder how many people will go fish that dock now. I've talked to dock owners while fishing and they'll tell me the crazy damage that people will do to their property to get a lure back. One had one of the under water lights that someone had gotten a lure stuck in and pulled it up and cut the cable so they could retrieve the lure. I'd probably have a little attitude if I lived there and dealt with some of the idiots all the time.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 07:55 AM

I do not condone damage but dock doesn't equal lake ownership.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 10:07 AM

Some folks are so territorial....like a snake in spring! I'll be fishing that dock soon.
Posted By: skeeter17584

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 11:05 AM

First problem is it should have been reported to authorities!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 11:08 AM

are there gophers in texas?
If he shot anywhere in your general direction, he needs to talk to the law.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 11:10 AM

I'll make sure and fish his dock every chance I get now!

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 11:26 AM

The shot was not in my general direction. He was up by the house on the drive way, never saw the gun, just heard the shot. He was just trying to scare me off. Yes, I know I should've called when I heard the shot after the "warning"... He claimed he had spoken with wardens and sheriff so he knew what he could do. He at least played lip service to not owning the water.

Had a good bite that I lost, other than the catfish, no fish. But Fork was tough for me yesterday.

Feel free to break off some tx-rigs on the dock, don't want to touch the rails to get those hooks out for him.

Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 12:13 PM

I had a drop shot that wind had blown onto the edge of a dock where a boat plane was. As I was getting the hook out of the wood, the owner came running down the ramp yelling at me to get away. I told him I was leaving but didn't want a hook to hurt someone. He then yelled at me more and said he would kick my A; as he walked to me yelling I told him he better stop or he would have a hard time swimming with a broken neck. Luckily for him he stopped. He said he was calling the police so I told him please do so I could have him arrested for assault. That seemed to calm him down so I apologized for getting my hook on his dock. He was still mad and watched us fish around the area. I waited to see if the cops showed but I don't think he wanted to call them. I think he just had nothing better to do than play watchdog.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 12:49 PM

I seen a metal bed spring on a dock at Fork before that the owner threw in to catch fisherman's lures.

I also have seen several just drop lines all the way around the boat house with weights on them so you could not flip under there very easy.

Also cattle panels down to the water so you cannot flip under them. I know boat houses cost lots of money.

I have heard stories by some of my friends around the lake about how people get on the dock and take a dump or fish off of them.

Most of us fisherman would never do this but there are idiots everywhere.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 12:55 PM

I've had dock owners invite me to fish their docks....and I've had em yell at me for fishing their docks.

Just respect their property and fish on. It's just a fish.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 02:03 PM

I fish docks out there quite a bit and have yet to have a negative experience. Everyone has been friendly and no problems at all. If they are on their dock I simply swing wide and go to the next one. I try to give the greeting of the day and he respectful.

Hopefully that guy was just having a bad day.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 02:12 PM

I have seen the spring mattress and chain link fence used before. Saw a guy pull up some chain link one time with a tractor, hundreds on there, not sure how many were still good but he had it anchored with cinder blocks. I have seen the ropes before too, sometimes long ones stretching across long stretches, but they have problems, gotta do what you gotta do. Everytime I see these posts, I just think I would move on and not cause confrontation. Gunshot, I am calling GW, but still leaving. Confrontations on the water ususually dont end good for either party. Be nice!!
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I fish docks out there quite a bit and have yet to have a negative experience. Everyone has been friendly and no problems at all. If they are on their dock I simply swing wide and go to the next one. I try to give the greeting of the day and he respectful.

Hopefully that guy was just having a bad day.

Being a dock owner, I can honestly say I've never had an issue, other than being robbed last year.. Most folks are very considerate, sometimes if I'm down there I'll tell them just where all those crepe myrtle's are sunk.... grin
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 02:59 PM

In today's world, ALWAYS REPORT! Maybe the individual is a felon and in violation?
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 03:38 PM

is this near the new docks just built in the new area of Popes?
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 03:39 PM

I personally have not had a issue on Fork. Lavon yes. I was fishing a dock Saturday on Fork and one guy came down and I thought oh boy here we go. But he proceeded to tell me where all the good stuff was located around the dock. Very nice guy. Now I need to figure out where Billy's dock is. He He
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 03:46 PM

Is it the first or second dock?

The first one is kind of tucked into a little flat bay..
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 03:58 PM

this posts reminds me of the idiots that started dumping car batteries with the covers off on a brushpile that became well known on GV to prevent others from catching fish from it for the little working mans tourney...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
this posts reminds me of the idiots that started dumping car batteries with the covers off on a brushpile that became well known on GV to prevent others from catching fish from it for the little working mans tourney...

That will certainly run the fish off

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 04:55 PM

This was my first bad experience in the 5 years I've had a boat, fishing docks. As he started talking about the parallels of golf balls being out of bounds instead of saying what I was thinking "That SOUNDS idiotic", what came out was "You're an idiot". He turned it around because I resorted to name calling and didn't feel that calling someone out for idiotic actions was name calling. Sure, I "are an idiot" nuts for sticking it out as long as I did!!!

He then started asking if I wanted to come up and fight it out (or something of those violent terms).

Anyone that knows me knows I own up to my mistakes, and usually publicly. Though I know that is not the world we live in. I was looking for an apology, especially when I was kind enough to return a pristine fishing rod (catfish attached) that had been lost two days before.

I know who he is, so I know what I am dealing with. Dallas area part-timers looking for a private lake...
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 05:28 PM

I think the majority are good people just like you. Their are a few bad ones on the lake tho. I have heard the stories for years from some of the guides. Their are a couple of night fishing guides who fish lighted docks that the owners will come down and turn the lights off and cuss them out for using their docks. I think the best respond is if shots were fired to report and tried and move on. Mark Perry at the best respond to how to deal with them to keep out of a confrontation. This is just the day and time we live in,its still better then living in Las Vegas right now.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 05:31 PM

That is a dumb analogy on his part. Just because a golf ball is out of bounds doesn't mean you can't go retrieve it. USGA rules allow for 5 minutes of looking for a lost ball. I'm very familiar with that rule nuts.

I would call the game warden. Discharging a firearm for intimidation is not only a scumbag tactic...its also against the law. Just getting the dude on the GW's radar is all that you need to do. A few "altercation" complaints with firearm references should garner some attention. Until then, he's likely to continue harassing fisherman and things could get out of hand real quick for everyone involved if that same scenario plays out again and someone makes a bad decision.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 05:34 PM

That man is taking years off his life worrying about people fishing his dock on LAKE FORK of all lakes! He should move to a smaller, sleepier lake where people don't fish.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 07:55 PM

OK, Its clear what dock it is now... I think that house was for sale for a long time. I guess its sold now.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

This was my first bad experience in the 5 years I've had a boat, fishing docks. As he started talking about the parallels of golf balls being out of bounds instead of saying what I was thinking "That SOUNDS idiotic", what came out was "You're an idiot". He turned it around because I resorted to name calling and didn't feel that calling someone out for idiotic actions was name calling. Sure, I "are an idiot" nuts for sticking it out as long as I did!!!

He then started asking if I wanted to come up and fight it out (or something of those violent terms).

Anyone that knows me knows I own up to my mistakes, and usually publicly. Though I know that is not the world we live in. I was looking for an apology, especially when I was kind enough to return a pristine fishing rod (catfish attached) that had been lost two days before.

I know who he is, so I know what I am dealing with. Dallas area part-timers looking for a private lake...

If he threatened you David, might call the sheriff next time, if ever. That is B/S.. He can discharge a firearm pretty much at will being in the county legally on his property.. You did good to ignore as much as you did, by far the better man.
Most of that bank is just a big flat, other side is better for sure..
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 09:08 PM

The sheriff is an avid fisherman as well... next time, you need to make the call. He won't mind following up on it at all.
You also need to call the GW. I can see him getting red-faced over this.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 09:48 PM

Wow! Sorry to hear about that little altercation David.

Had a similar situation happen to me years ago in the back of Double Creek, the first creek on the right past the Birch Creek bridge. It was late-March and there were bedding fish all over the banks. We had fished to this long L-Shaped dock and was up near it throwing at the bank. We were not touching the dock nor tied to it.

All of a sudden we hear a shotgun blast up on the hill and an old lady comes riding down the hill to the dock on a riding lawnmower. She proceeds to walk out on the dock and lays the shotgun across her lap as she sits down on one of her chairs.

Of course when the shotgun went off it got my undivided attention and I started moving the boat away from the dock. She is sitting there glaring at us. I say something like, "Oh hello, nice day we're having" and she just glares at us as I am moving the boat away on the TM. eeks

It was about 11 am so I decide it is a GOOD TIME to leave the cove and go in to have lunch. We get to Rainswood for lunch and I run into Gary Dugan, GW for the area at that time. I tell him what happened and he says, "Oh yeah, I know Old Mrs. XXXX, I'll go have a talk with her."

That was quite a few years ago. I bet Mrs. XXXX is in heaven now (or not).

roflmao
Posted By: Tritan Bass

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/02/17 10:17 PM

Watch out for the dock owner in Glade in the back on the right. I live out of state so I only get to fish Fork a couple of times of the year but I love Glade and fishing the pads on that side (East). His dock holds some good bass too (please fish it!!!!) so I always fish around it. He gets in his golf cart and comes roaring down every time yelling at me! He moves exceptionally fast for someone who has an artificial leg.
It is his water since he paid a lot of money to put that dock in!!!! So he say... I explain I pay a lot of money for a license to fish the water around his dock. I never touch the dock at all. He threatens my life every time. He also threatens to call the Sheriff (claims to know him). Every time I pull out my cellphone and offer to call him myself but he declines to give me the number. I tell him I would love to share with his "friend" that he threatened my life! He usually starts casting a "catfish" rod with a big weight on it in my area until I move on. What an [censored]! But I am there at least once a day when I am there ...sometimes for spite!!!!!
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 03:13 AM

Makes sense to have a boat dock on a lake that's primarily used by fishermen and get an attitude when people fish it.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I've had dock owners invite me to fish their docks....and I've had em yell at me for fishing their docks.

Just respect their property and fish on. It's just a fish.

You're welcome to fish my dock on Eagle Mtn. A few of my friends know where I have the little fridge hidden in the cabinets which usually has cold beer in it.... bouncy

I have 4 security cameras on my dock which I can watch on my phone. I use them mainly to see if anyone is catching anything. One time I saw a guy get out on the dock to get his hook which was stuck in the wood. I appreciate him not leaving it there for my kids to step on. Another friend texted me a photo of a fish he just caught off my dock. So I went back to the cameras and sent him a great video of him catching it!
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: toofy

You're welcome to fish my dock on Eagle Mtn. A few of my friends know where I have the little fridge hidden in the cabinets which usually has cold beer in it.... bouncy

I have 4 security cameras on my dock which I can watch on my phone. I use them mainly to see if anyone is catching anything. One time I saw a guy get out on the dock to get his hook which was stuck in the wood. I appreciate him not leaving it there for my kids to step on. Another friend texted me a photo of a fish he just caught off my dock. So I went back to the cameras and sent him a great video of him catching it!

Now you sir, are a great American.
Posted By: Coachzee

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 05:53 PM

First class right ther toofy!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 06:16 PM

I'm a Dock Owner myself , we just sit back and watch .
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 06:38 PM

You can fish my dock also but you're gonna have some company... Our Yellow Lab pup loves to swim out to see if you have any treats on board... I'm trying to break him but if he see you before I do it's too late... Dan

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan A
You can fish my dock also but you're gonna have some company... Our Yellow Lab pup loves to swim out to see if you have any treats on board... I'm trying to break him but if he see you before I do it's too late... Dan

I almost got to take one for a ride earlier this year. Also rescued one from a couple of fighting dogs on Bob Sandlin and took him home to his own dock down further into Millionaire Cove so it didn't have to swim a half mile.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 08:33 PM

I had my dock built a couple years ago in Little Caney and don't mind people fishing around it. The only problem I have and have mentioned on here before... I've had 2 guys that I've never seen before pull into my dock and actually use the boat lift to lift their boat out of the water then they started walking around my dock... they did it to get out of the rain like a lot of us have had to do before but you Never use someone's lift and especially don't get out of your boat. Moral of the story is if I don't know you and you do something like no navigational lights at night or step on my dock, I have no idea what your intentions are, especially with all the dock thiefs around here.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan A

I always have a few milk bones on the boat!
Posted By: Little Mustang

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 10:03 PM

The boat dock owners on the South side of Little Mustang don't need a gun for gopher's, only snakes. We also drink beer and whiskey not Umbrella Drinks like the people on the north side. I live straight across the cove from Caddy Shack Boy.
Posted By: ForkAngler

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/03/17 11:01 PM

I have a dock in Little Mustang also, I have no problems with anglers fishing around my dock. Only things I ask is to do no damage, stay off of my dock and don't interfere with my fishing.

Enjoy the cove !
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/04/17 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I wonder how many people will go fish that dock now. I've talked to dock owners while fishing and they'll tell me the crazy damage that people will do to their property to get a lure back. One had one of the under water lights that someone had gotten a lure stuck in and pulled it up and cut the cable so they could retrieve the lure. I'd probably have a little attitude if I lived there and dealt with some of the idiots all the time.

How much damage can be done to a dock retrieving a lure? I find this hard to believe. The wire leasing to that light should have been hot.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/04/17 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

How much damage can be done to a dock retrieving a lure? I find this hard to believe. The wire leasing to that light should have been hot.

I am in that group that welcomes anyone to fish around my dock as long as my or my family are not on the dock fishing ourselves. If we are I would prefer that you come back and fish it another time. As far as what damage can be done, wires cut, ropes cut, chips knocked out of gel coat on boats and jet ski's, hooks left in various places on the dock so people can easily step on them or get them caught in their hands, lights covers broken, bulbs broken and the list goes on. (I know it may be hard to believe but there are people out there that can not cast worth a damn.) Most dock owners chalk it up to part of the cost of living on the lake a and owning a dock. By far most fishermen (and women) are careful around docks and respectful of others property, but you do have that few that just don't seem to care about anyone else or their property. And, you have those dock owners that seem to think they own the water and make a real pest of themselves if someone gets close to their docks.
Posted By: Mega23

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/06/17 02:40 PM

David, we are in Little Mustang, our dock is the first dock just East of the boat ramp. I'm sorry this happened to you. They are new people who moved in there last year and I can't believe he did that. The owner of Little Mustang Linda will not tolerate that kind of action. We are Tournament fishermans and have had a few people who are idiots thinking they own the waters. We love watching the boats fish around our dock. I would had called authorities on him. Here's a few pics of our dock. Please don't mistake us as the first dock.

Fish On
Donna

Re: Beware of Lake Fork Dock "Owner" - 10/06/17 02:54 PM

Absolutely Donna, I wanted to make sure I was clear with "after the point". You guys are great, hopefully I'll see you on sunday when I am back out that way!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum