Texas Fishing Forum

Bass University?

Posted By: i-Fish

Bass University? - 09/23/17 12:50 PM

Anybody subscribe to Bass U? Did you learn applicable information that helped you become a better and more diverse angler? Is it worth the relatively little anount of money?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Bass University? - 09/23/17 02:17 PM

You learn in many different ways. BU does a lot for youth fishing and education. Your money will be well spent.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Bass University? - 09/23/17 03:36 PM

I tried it and watched several of the videos but honestly I didn't get much from it. One part that was really irritating was that sometimes the speaker had a slide presentation but they would only film him walking and talking instead of the screen he was referring to and you didn't quite understand what he meant.

For me there's just too much info out there on YouTube so I cancelled after a couple of weeks. I believe they offer a free trial. Give them a shot and see how they work for you. Cheap enough to try.
Posted By: teambassmanager

Re: Bass University? - 09/23/17 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I tried it and watched several of the videos but honestly I didn't get much from it. One part that was really irritating was that sometimes the speaker had a slide presentation but they would only film him walking and talking instead of the screen he was referring to and you didn't quite understand what he meant.

For me there's just too much info out there on YouTube so I cancelled after a couple of weeks. I believe they offer a free trial. Give them a shot and see how they work for you. Cheap enough to try.

Same exact outcome - I love the deep talks and sonar talks but also lacking many field visuals.. I like the classroom presentation SOMETIMES but I want to see it in the field then spoke about on top of it (like a play by play) this seems better. I am still a member but hoping it gets better as time goes on.
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: Bass University? - 10/02/17 11:11 PM

When you guys are watching you can download the screen presentations. Now there are only a handful per presentation, but I have found it helpful. Some are better than others, but it just depends on the speaker and topic. Sometimes I walk away with a several ideas, some just a couple.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Bass University? - 10/02/17 11:25 PM

Not sure. Would have been better had they planned it while they filmed it.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Bass University? - 10/03/17 01:15 AM

I like it, I pretty much ignore anything on the northern lakes or small mouth bite
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Bass University? - 10/03/17 02:35 AM

The idea is great, the execution is terrible.

The videos are what got me to sign up.

The videos are also why I cancelled my subscription. They are really an afterthought and EXTREMEMLY low budget.

Examples?

The speaker will be pointing the screen describing a concept (like a point or a spot on a map) but the camera remains on the speaker. "You see that spot there?" Actually no we have no idea what you are pointing at.

The speaker asks for questions and there are no mics in the audience so you can't hear the question or the dialogue. On some videos they crank up the mic feed so you can barely hear the question but it even then it's hard to hear. A second GoPro and a mic would solve that. A mic and a mixing board works. A dictation machine. A cellphone. So easy it's just annoying as hell they don't address it.

The speakers are many times not prepared to teach, so you get story hour. I have actually had to look at the name of the video I clicked on to recall what the speaker was supposed to be talking about after listening to them ramble on and on.

The classroom many times appears to be longer than what makes it to the tape, so you may or may not get through a complete "class."

I guess they used to use small SD cards to record the classroom sessions. An hour long video might be broken into 5 12 minute segments rather than one full classroom session.

Do not waste your money until the product quality improves. The concept is great but as of now it's a way for them to supplement the classroom fees they charge for the seminars.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Bass University? - 10/03/17 11:32 AM

I think they have a two week free trial, get on watch 5 videos where you have weak knowledge and be your own judge. I was captaining high schoolers and they got some ideas out of it, but said there werent enough new videos so I dropped it after four or five mos
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: Bass University? - 10/13/17 10:31 PM

Most of the recent videos are straight through, it is the older ones that are broken up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum